ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

No More Autographs

ForceEight

For adults, anyway.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/13/ravens-revise-training-camp-autograph-policy/#comments

The Baltimore Ravens announced today a change in their training-camp autograph policy. Beginning this year, players will sign autographs after morning practices only -- and the autographs will be available only for children from six to 15 years of age. (Rosenthal is pleased that he made the cut.)

At first, we thought the new policy seemed a little cold and heavy-handed. But the explanation offered by Ravens president Dick Cass makes sense.

"We have considered changing the way we do autograph signings for a few years,"Cass said. "Our crowds for the morning practices have become so large that we've had safety situations with people pushing each other to try and get closer to the players. Often times, children would be put in difficult positions with the rush for autographs, especially from our most popular players."

Looks like you don't get to trample on kids this year crav! club-me-1.gif

I think it's a good idea because they have been cramming a ton of people into a small area and kids do get trampled. It was fine when they had the full squad Saturday scrimage and roped the whole field off. Then the players would move around the perimiter and sign autographs. There was plenty of room for fans to spread out and wait for players to come up. I was able to get almost every players autograph on the 2000 Ravens squad....with no effort.

Im deeply offended by this move, Its my hobby dammit!!! I have never sold one piece of that Ive gotten autographed, never.

What makes it bad is my kids are too old also, its what we've done as a family, me and the 2 boys go wondering off at camp, snag a few autographs and then come back and compare who we got. Just like I taught them fishing, Ive taught them to seek autographs. We have gotten our best pieces autographed at Ravens Camp.

This is discrimination in the 3rd degree!!

Edited by cravnravn

I do think there is a safety issue for kids. I've seen that autograph section and I won't go into it.

But...........

Cass gets paid handsomely to be smart...so why doesn't he offer a seperate, roped off section for adults? The place is big enough for 4-5 sections.

Come on...that is so easy to do.

Why not rope the players off and have the fans move down the line with the SAFE jerks herding them down the rope? That way, with everyone in a line there won't be a need to push. The pushing happens because the players move around and the people that want an autograph from one of them move with them. In other news, I really can't stand the SAFE guys. They're the worst.They won't even let you put your kid on your shoulders so they don't have to look through the fence. WTF?

Dont they have a Ravens Rookies Section, in the end closest to the players entrance..Im sure they do..

And Papa is right, absolutely no adults allowed in the area with their kids..Im sorry but I dont know a heck of alot of parents that would let their 6 year old wonder off 50 yards away..

1 item autographed per child, yagaddabeshiddingme!!! Why dont they just say, NO AUTOGRAPHS!!

There are more than enough opportunities to get an autograph during the season than just Training Camp. Almost every player has their own live radio show at the local watering hole or pay the money and go to a special signing at a memorbilia store. We are lucky as it is that they have open camps in our state....some camps (like the Cowboys) practice in California!

And Papa is right, absolutely no adults allowed in the area with their kids..Im sorry but I dont know a heck of alot of parents that would let their 6 year old wonder off 50 yards away..

Well...you know one...brows.gif

• Upvote 1

There are more than enough opportunities to get an autograph during the season than just Training Camp. Almost every player has their own live radio show at the local watering hole or pay the money and go to a special signing at a memorbilia store. We are lucky as it is that they have open camps in our state....some camps (like the Cowboys) practice in California!

Its not fair, Im a kid at heart..Its my/our hobby..Im taking my kids to camp, I cant help they are 26 & 20, none of us can get autographs.

Guest BallTMore

In a radio interview, Kevin Byrne basically said that players will still sign autographs for adults, the Ravens are not going to restrict them from doing so, but they wanted to have a separate area for kids. Kids will be 10 feet away from adults.

So there you go. Much ado about nothing. Adults can still get autographs, though players probably won't spend as much time giving them to the older crowd.