ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cousins carted off field

cravnravn

Another Ravens offensive lineman was hurt Wednesday when right tackle Oniel Cousins was carted off the field at training camp in Westminster.

The nature of his injury is unknown. Cousins was starting at right tackle for Jared Gaither, who was sidelined with a back injury. Tony Moll has replaced Cousins at right tackle.

Other Ravens offensive linemen who are currently injured are center Matt Birk, tackle Stefan Rodgers, guard Daniel Sanders and tackle/guard David Hale.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/oniel_cousins_carted_off_field_at_camp.html

[quote name='cravnravn' date='18 August 2010 - 09:50 AM' timestamp='1282143038' post='20249']
Another Ravens offensive lineman was hurt Wednesday when right tackle Oniel Cousins was carted off the field at training camp in Westminster.

The nature of his injury is unknown. Cousins was starting at right tackle for Jared Gaither, who was sidelined with a back injury. Tony Moll has replaced Cousins at right tackle.

Other Ravens offensive linemen who are currently injured are center Matt Birk, tackle Stefan Rodgers, guard Daniel Sanders and tackle/guard David Hale.

[url="http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/oniel_cousins_carted_off_field_at_camp.html"]http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/08/oniel_cousins_carted_off_field_at_camp.html[/url]
[/quote]

Geez Louise ! What's going on here with Coach Harbs - these guys are dropping like flies. Dang, whose next; Todd Heap or Gaither (oh wait a minute, he is already down !).

This is getting ridiculous. Now I understand why we are resting Ray Rice in these games. If I were Harbs, I might just sit my 1st team offense for the remaining pre-season games. Nah, but this is getting insane.

I'm of the opinion that Billick's approach was best. Remember how successful we were in the later months under him? Legs were still fresh.

Now, they look tired. They take cart rides on a daily basis in camp.

Overkill exists. I don't really think that this is it, but I think that alternatives have proven better in the past.

----

Anyway, Hensley reported that it was a concussion.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/oniel-cousins-carted-off-in-baltimore/

Looks like rookie Ramon Harewood could be the next man up...

“Suit up,” Cameron said when asked about the potential of a Harewood start. ”We like what we see, but we’ve got to be patient. It’s easy to be impatient when you have a season coming up, but we might have to play him this year.

“I’ve been in some situations throughout my career where we’ve had a lot worse at right tackle than that kid, and he’s a talented guy,” said Cameron. ”You have to realize that a right tackle is going to be sitting next to Marshal Yanda. We’ll be able to put Todd Heap to the outside. We can use a wing set.

“There are a lot of different things we can do.”

The Ravens have also utilized an unbalanced line and chipped pass rushers with a fullback in the past.

Harewood is still learning those NFL nuances after his unlikely rise from Barbados and Division II Morehouse College. His inexperience showed Wednesday, when Antwan Barnes faked outside and left Harewood whiffing as he ran unabated to the quarterback during a pass-blocking drill.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2010/08/18/could-harewood-suit-up-with-ones/

Guest BallTMore

It's definitely frustrating to read about all these injuries early in the season.

I don't think Billick's camps were that "light". Camp creampuff was created by Preston and only caught on because we were having a rough year. So naturally, fans go crazy over everything and jumped on the creampuff bandwagon.

I can't argue with Harbaugh's results though. Since he and Cam have been here we haven't lost to a team we should have beat. No traps under Harbaugh.

Also they would end up 1-3 in the first 4 games. They were never ready coming out of the gate. That was a point cited here many more times than once.

No, not sure how you come up with this? Try 3-1 and it would be more likely. In billicks nine season he had a record of 21-15 in the first four games. Only one season with more defeats was 2005 by 1-3.. same only season we was pretty much out of PO after eigth games. Even in Billicks worst season we were 4-4 in 2007.

1-4 games: 21 W- 15 L

5-8 games: 17-19

9-12 games: 20-16

13-16 games: 22-14

So only period when Billicks teams lost more than they won, was from game 5-8.

No Billick's approach was a very bad one. It would get you nowhere.

It got us a Lombardi and a parade in January..Look at the reason we lost the AFCC Game vs the Stealers, look at the injuries that day. Harbs better be careful. Not a lot of coaches hit in camp as he does.

I just don't understand what the debate is here. It isn't even proven that a 'harder' camp causes more injuries, as a lot of injuries in sports come from guys taking time off and then going hard. What I'm saying is neither side can prove their version of camp is better, so what's the point in debating it.

Blocking and tackling are critical skills. The team that does that the best wins the game. I don't see how you can get good at that as a team without going hard.

The games are won at the line of scrimage...they can only get better by going all out in practice.

You need full game speed and conditions for the QB to get his timming down with his receivers....it's no good if his line can't block or his receivers can't get off the line of scrimage and into their routes fast.

55642750.jpg

Harbaugh gives the over 30 guys days off. I see no problem with his camps.

"Finally we can get autographs because that cravnravn guy can't knock us to the ground anymore."

55642708.jpg

I just don't understand what the debate is here. It isn't even proven that a 'harder' camp causes more injuries, as a lot of injuries in sports come from guys taking time off and then going hard. What I'm saying is neither side can prove their version of camp is better, so what's the point in debating it.

It can be proven..And they are going to use the Ravens as part of the proof. We were the winningest team thru Nov-Dec in the 2000's, they are going to prove that the reason we were the winningest team was because we were fresh. But then again we were notoriuos for getting off to slow starts.

Now in Harb's camp we might come out of the gate balls a blasting, but dont you want to save some of that energy for the Dec push?

Its a double edge sword on what is better camp for the players.

It can be proven..And they are going to use the Ravens as part of the proof. We were the winningest team thru Nov-Dec in the 2000's, they are going to prove that the reason we were the winningest team was because we were fresh. But then again we were notoriuos for getting off to slow starts.

Now in Harb's camp we might come out of the gate balls a blasting, but dont you want to save some of that energy for the Dec push?

Its a double edge sword on what is better camp for the players.

A teams record has much more to do with the actual teams talent and heart then it does the training camp the coach of said team decides is best. Just my opinion.