ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Dilfer and Ozzie "Had Words"

ForceEight

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/29/dilfer-newsome-have-words-at-ravens-super-bowl-reunion/

Last weekend, the Baltimore Ravens commemorated the tenth anniversary of their first and only Super Bowl win. Attendees included quarterback Trent Dilfer, widely regarded as a "game manager," who was allowed to leave as a free agent after the Ravens achieved their goal.

A source with knowledge of the situation says that Dilfer and G.M. Ozzie Newsome had "words" at the Saturday night event preceding the on-field ceremony held in conjunction with the Ravens' overtime victory over the winless Bills.

Though there are rumors that things got heated between the two men, the source says that it was neither loud nor hostile.

"Trent was pissed" that the Ravens let him leave via free agency, the source explained, especially after Dilfer played injured most of the season.

Reached for comment, Dilfer downplayed the situation. "We had about an hour discussion, a little rehash of 10 years ago and a lot of current [football] stuff," said Dilfer, who now works as an analyst with ESPN. "Nothing confrontational or juicy, in fact we had some wine and took some pictures in the process. I could see why some people might of thought it was a big deal, but trust me it wasn't."

I believe I would be bitter too! Who wouldn't? I'm not sure that is something that will go away for a long long time. Having said that, everything about Trent in the public eye says that he didn't go "off" on Oz. He probably was straight with him, and he probably told him exactly how he felt without sparing feelings.

Guest BallTMore

Dilfer was a pedestrian QB that was fortunate to ride our defenses coattails to a SB. Nothing more. He should thank Ozzie for giving him the opportunity to get that ring.

Pretty much.

Trent was good for making a few good throws a game, which I give him credit for. Basically that's all we needed with our defense.

I've re-watched the Super Bowl game a few times. We could have won that game by 50 if Trent was anywhere near accurate.

Trent should still be thanking Ozzie. He was a bad QB who got a SB ring. That probably got him a few more contracts in his playing career and probably helped him get his current TV job.

Plenty of players get traded or dropped before a team wins a championship and never get rings, Trent was lucky. Yet he bitched then and it sounds like he still is bitching. If there is any truth to this story at all he should be ashamed of himself. To take what should be a happy reunion and admonish a GM for not resigning him is very unprofessional.

Say what you want about Trents weaknesses - and there were a few - but what about his strengths -of which there were many. Forget the bad throws, occasional poor decisions. The guy had character and toughness; something I think our 2001 QB (Mr Grbac) might have lacked, huh ?

I rest my case.

Dilfer was the worst QB in the modern era to play in a SB.

He had some great tools;

A top five ST.

The best runninggame, Jamal, Priest, Femi and Gash.. I take that 2000 group over pretty much any other since, not only here.

The best TE duo, Sharpe 8 PBs, Coates 5 PBs.

One of the Best OLs including the best LT.

WRs not impressive, not terrible leaving only Dilfer as terrible.

And a pretty good defense. :gorave:

Plenty of players get traded or dropped before a team wins a championship and never get rings

But what SB winning QB have you ever heard of gets cut, after they lead a team to a SB victory? I can only think of maybe 1, that being Unitas, but you have to consider the source of who the owner was.

But what SB winning QB have you ever heard of gets cut, after they lead a team to a SB victory? I can only think of maybe 1, that being Unitas, but you have to consider the source of who the owner was.

And how many other players, starters and Pro Bowler even, don't get resigned after WINNING a Super Bowl.

The fact that it was the QB makes it interesting, sure. But players come and go from SB winning teams all the time - even stars on those teams. It's the business.

I'm sure Dilfer wasn't happy. I'm sure he still isn't happy. I don't believe they "had words" in the sense of a spat. Doesn't seem like his personality.

Ultimately, I still don't disagree with the move to ditch Dilfer. And I still think Grbac was a fine signing. His numbers trumped Dilfer (and both QBs in 2000) easily. And he didn't have Priest Holmes OR Jamal Lewis to lean on.