ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cam Newton to IR

tsylvester

His foot is not healing quick enough.... They want to give him more time to properly heal.... Um, ok, is this just a move to let Allen keep playing, to avoid the obvious question about when Cam will play? If he will if Allen keeps winning?

Is this a prelude to them releasing him next year or trading him?

https://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/32883/reality-cam-newton-has-likely-played-his-last-game-for-panthers

This might have been the last time reporters got to see Newton in the room he's commanded for much of the past eight seasons. The Panthers placed him on season-ending injured reserve on Tuesday because the Lisfranc injury to Newton's left foot has not responded to treatment.

For all the great things he has done over his career -- winning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2011, being named NFL MVP in 2015, and redefining the league record book for running quarterbacks -- there are many reasons the Panthers likely won't bring Newton back next season.

I watch the hits too and it does look like he's avoiding heavy contact very well.

Nevertheless...he had 16 carries against the Pats.

A ton of QB's are out this year and almost all of them didn't get hurt running. Arm, hand and shoulder injuries and QB hits in the pocket took them out. Injuries to QB's are a very real event and concern for every team in the NFL. That's why there are so many rules to protect QB's.

In Lamar's case, from what I see, he's safer on the run then taking sacks and hits in the pocket.

Cam took his beating in the pocket, from hanging onto the ball too long, from being able to shake loose from sacks to continue plays. Sure, he ran, and took a shot or two but most of his injuries, the shoulder, the foot, the ribs, were inside the pocket.

Lamar so far has not faced those types of sacks nor after throw hits like Cam did, shall we say. He is elusive enough and "wirely" enough, I think his tendons and ligaments are made from high grade eleastic, to avoid the big hits outside the pocket.

Sure, one game is likely to be the one where he does, but the question is, will the line hold up to keep him from taking those major in the pocket hits? Especially while throwing...

Carolina let him down with their line, let us hope, the book ends don't cost too much for EDC, to keep

He could be careful and be done in 8 years. Or he could transition into a more pocket passer. Steve Young took a pounding in the USFL and Tampa and still could run very well into his upper 30s. Part of me thinks they should run him less in order to prolong his career, but there have been many traditional QBs who don't last that long. Part of me thinks if a QB has talents like this - use them often and try to win it all knowing the window for a QB like that may be 7-8 years instead of 10+. 

^jumble of thoughts

Not sure it matters too much right now, I don't think the offense has enough weapons for Lamar not to use his legs and still win. I think he and the team are being as smart as they can.

It's a Bengals thing....Lamar watches the game tapes and gets sick thinking about what he can do..........

Before making his first career start last year against the Bengals, Jackson also missed practice with an illness on Thursday of that week. His stomach pains were so bad that he went to the hospital before practice as a precaution. But Jackson returned on Friday and was at full speed for the game, in which he ran 26 times for 119 yards.