ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Coronavirus

vmax

It's surprising that he's still in office. He's the worst leader this country has ever had in a time of crisis. He does not know what to do, waffles, blames everybody else and lies. He believes that he knows better than science on this virus and global warming.

Why have a leader whom you can't believe is telling the truth? Or doesn't even know what the truth is!?

How the hell did we get here?

Here's a sane response....

In an email interview published Wednesday in The Tablet and Commonwealth magazines, the pontiff said the outbreak offered an opportunity to slow down the rate of production and consumption and to learn to understand and contemplate the natural world.

"We did not respond to the partial catastrophes. Who now speaks of the fires in Australia, or remembers that 18 months ago a boat could cross the North Pole because the glaciers had all melted? Who speaks now of the floods?" the Pope said.

"I don't know if these are the revenge of nature, but they are certainly nature's responses," he added.......https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pope-coronavirus-pandemic-could-be-natures-response-to-climate-crisis/ar-BB12jOw8?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

And our Governor is a great example on how to lead.

Edited by vmax

This sounds like the plan from WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus ..............

We know that the virus can spread more easily in crowded environments like nursing homes,” Tedros continued. “We know that early case finding, testing, isolating, caring for every case, and tracing every contact is essential for stopping transmission.”

Pointing out that in some countries cases are doubling every three to four days, Tedros said the disease accelerates fast but “decelerates much more slowly.”

“In other words, the way down is much slower than the way up,” he said. “That means control measures must be lifted slowly and with control.”

Tedros cautioned that restarting the shutdown portions of the economy in the U.S. and other countries whose leaders have been eager to loosen restrictions could prove deadly.....https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/coronavirus-is-10-times-deadlier-than-swine-flu-who-leader-says/ar-BB12zQkh?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U508DHP

The "tracing every contact" part has been emerging from around the world over the last week or so. It would lead to faster quarantining of infected individuals which means less people infected.

I'm not getting this 100% chemically and physically accurate, but a doctor whom I know and is brilliant, told me this virus blocks the oxygen cells from binding with the hemoglobin in your lungs so oxygen can't be delivered to your organs. For those people whose immune systems can't fight this off it's basically fatal. I think only 20% of people who are put on respirators get off alive. I'm your average Joe on the street so I could be wrong.

As hard as it may be, if Trump rushes a premature re-opening and we have a national 'relapse' the negative economic and health consequences to the country could very well last into next year and what a mess that would be. I don't know if we can survive that long on the competence, or lack thereof of our president.

I can't say it often enough to him: 'Listen to Faucci'. He is the guy with the smarts, knowledge and training whose advice should be adhered to now.

From California....

The new parameters Newsom outlined Tuesday suggested the state must meet a high bar before walking back the order. The administration highlighted six key indicators for altering his stay-home mandate, including the ability to closely monitor and track potential cases, prevent infection of high-risk people, prepare hospitals to handle surges, develop therapeutics to meet demand, ensure schools, businesses and child-care facilities can support social distancing, and develop guidelines for when to ask Californians to stay home again if necessary...........https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gov-gavin-newsom-names-six-goals-that-must-be-met-to-lift-california-coronavirus-order/ar-BB12CWY4?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U508DHP

2 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

As hard as it may be, if Trump rushes a premature re-opening and we have a national 'relapse' the negative economic and health consequences to the country could very well last into next year and what a mess that would be. I don't know if we can survive that long on the competence, or lack thereof of our president.

I can't say it often enough to him: 'Listen to Faucci'. He is the guy with the smarts, knowledge and training whose advice should be adhered to now.

Amen.

As hard as it is to say it we need to bite the bullet now. Take one big hit as opposed to several blows the same size as what we are experiencing.

Look what happened in South Dakota with their Governor's "It's OK to go out" policy. Now they are in deep shit and lot's of people are dying.

You can always make money. You can't bring back family, friends and loved ones....including everybody on this planet who have lost their life because of the virus. We are all connected.

I have worried the way down would be much slower than the way up.  First and foremost is fast tests in unlimited numbers.  Then an antibody test.  Next is the antivirals that can fight this.  All of this can be done in the next 3 months or so.  It would be good ammo to fight a rebound peak.  Finally a vaccine 

Look into Artemisinin...its from wormword and an anti-viral drug.  Alternative to the shit people are accidentally killing themselves with.

I can't believe people still support that mf'er

• 2 weeks later...

Here it is 4/28 and it seems things are not getting better here in Maryland...

Since Friday, the state has seen a 21% increase in confirmed infections, with the five of the past six days among Maryland’s seven highest additions of new cases..............https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-coronavirus-cases-deaths-update-20200428-73n7cuzww5a27m74o6wfnc6dcm-story.html

There's all this outside pressure to open up businesses and try to get people back to work. I get it. I want to run free like everybody. I'm tired of being cooped up, yet it's not safe.

It's going to be a long, tough time of practicing a strange new lifestyle until there is a vaccine.

On the down side: I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. What's below the surface...global recession, famines, mass starvation, huge unemployment, migrations and wars. Looks like one long hot summer.

On the up side: I can't help thinking that a massive shift for the betterment of all people will result from the massive change that we must make in how we live and view our relationship with all life and all people on this planet. There are inspiring efforts of service going on everywhere. People are connecting in empathy as everybody strives to work through this. We may not see the solution at this moment but it is there. Emerging. I'm an optimist. There is hope.

Edited by vmax

Here's an upbeat article on some positive change in America....

But this faceless menace has shown us an important thing about ourselves: In dire times, we fall back on the familiar and the comfortable practices that we have perfected over centuries. History and tradition comfort us; we may not know what lies ahead, but we know what’s behind us was pretty great............https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/voices/2020/04/28/amid-coronavirus-crisis-comfort-tradition-column/3019850001/

We'll bounce back. I hope we'll get a new President and Senate and things that need to get done will get done. As you said it's a long grocery list but we just have to make some real progress.

In the meantime, I'm going to go drink my Lysol cocktail and swallow some lit light bulbs after that. 

• Upvote 1

Georgia will show us what happens when the restraints are lifted too early....

Out of the 12 states in the Southeast United States, the model's projections for Georgia are the only that assume statewide social distancing will be relaxed starting on May 1, to reflect Gov. Brian Kemp's orders to reopen the state. The projections for the state of Georgia show the highest uptick in deaths per day will be between May and August for the region.
On Friday, Kemp allowed for the reopening of hair and nail salons, barber shops, massage businesses and gyms under new safety standards. He allowed restaurants and theaters to reopen with new restrictions Monday.
With the assumption of relaxed social distancing, the model predicts that the number of Covid-19 deaths per day in Georgia will jump from 32 people dying on May 1 to a projected 63 people dying per day by August 4.
Currently, 995 people have died from Covid-19 in Georgia, according to the model, and it projects that number could climb to 4,691 by August 4. The projection for total deaths in the state provides a range of estimates between 1,686 deaths on the lower end to up to 15,620 deaths on the higher end.....
Out of the 12 states in the Southeast United States, the model's projections for Georgia are the only that assume statewide social distancing will be relaxed starting on May 1, to reflect Gov. Brian Kemp's orders to reopen the state. The projections for the state of Georgia show the highest uptick in deaths per day will be between May and August for the region.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/health/georgia-coronavirus-death-projections/index.html

How does this guy sleep at night?

The projections are getting worse.

The Trump administration projects about 3,000 daily deaths by early June.

As President Trump presses for states to reopen their economies, his administration is privately projecting a steady rise in the number of cases and deaths from the coronavirus over the next several weeks, reaching about 3,000 daily deaths on June 1, according to an internal document obtained by The New York Times, nearly double from the current level of about 1,750.

The projections, based on government modeling pulled together in chart form by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, forecast about 200,000 new cases each day by the end of the month, up from about 25,000 cases now................The numbers underscore a sobering reality: While the United States has been hunkered down for the past seven weeks, not much has changed. And the reopening to the economy will make matters worse............https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/coronavirus-live-updates-trump-administration-models-predict-near-doubling-of-daily-death-toll-by-june/ar-BB13zfhE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

Because humans don't have natural immunity and the virus is so easily transmitted, up to 70% of the population may have to develop immunity before COVID-19's spread diminishes naturally. That means the pandemic length "will likely be 18 to 24 months," and the virus will remain endemic afterward.......https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/coronavirus-live-updates-trump-administration-models-predict-near-doubling-of-daily-death-toll-by-june/ar-BB13zfhE?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

This last quote has placed me in surrender mode. Like "I give up."

We can't hide out forever....not 1-2 years. Basically nothings changed.

They probably won't have a vaccine for a year.

With the vaccine, and once 70% of the population gets covid19, then it may be safe and possibly over. 70% means I'll probably get it and you too.

So....I guess we need to practice all the safety precautions, go out and work, and take our chances that it won't kill us or anybody that we come in contact with.

Really not an easy scenario to accept....yet I see no other way.

I have to disagree Max. If they had maintained the restrictions for just another 4 weeks, we may have taken a big bite out of the virus at least until the autumn wave arrives. 

Now we're all vulnerable. 

On 5/5/2020 at 5:26 PM, oldno82 said:

I have to disagree Max. If they had maintained the restrictions for just another 4 weeks, we may have taken a big bite out of the virus at least until the autumn wave arrives. 

Now we're all vulnerable. 

That makes sense.

Since I posted that, it became clear to me how stupid it would be for me to "give up, go to work and get dosed." I am high risk. I don't want to pass it on to anybody.

I have now decided to stay at home regardless of the consequences. If it forces an early retirement, than so be it. I'll be fine.

That was a very hard decision to reach. My family had to basically plead with me to wake up, not go back to work and retire if necessary.

With the situation like it is, Max, you had no other reasonable choice.

I am high risk also so I know how you feel, I think. But as one who has been retired for a number of years now and who also took an early retirement with a reduced pension, you may find retirement is a lot better than you may think it will be. I also found I needed less money to spend than when I was working. So God bless you and yours.

BB13QOFp.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

Love how Americans are stepping out to help each other.......

BB13QH1v.img?h=416&w=799&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=

In the gloom of what's happening, there are tons of inspiring efforts. I love searching through the worldwide photos and seeing people helping people...it's unifying......it's this spirit that will see us through.