ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Coronavirus

vmax

WOW!

Had states across the country begun issuing stay-at-home orders just one week before they did, nearly 36,000 people would not have died and more than 700,000 positive virus cases avoided, new research from Columbia University shows.

Social distancing for two weeks before when most people began staying at home could have prevented a stunning 54,000 deaths and 960,000 cases, the researchers found......https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/coronavirus-live-updates-cdc-chief-issues-stark-warning-on-possible-second-wave-and-more-lockdowns-as-global-cases-top-5-million/ar-BB14ptNM?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

• 1 month later...

:(

"The reality is this is not close to being over," Tedros told reporters. "Globally, the pandemic is actually speeding up."

About half the cases, and nearly half the deaths across the globe, have come in the Americas. The United States, which accounts for about 4 percent of the global population, has nearly a quarter of the total confirmed cases, 2.4 million.

States reported more than 44,000 new cases on Sunday, the WHO said in their daily situation report on Monday, higher than any nation on earth. Brazil reported 46,000 new infections on Saturday, and almost 39,000 new infections on Sunday.

Russia and India have both reported more than half a million cases, while the United Kingdom, Peru and Chile have each reported more than a quarter million cases.

The actual number of people who have been infected with the coronavirus is probably multiples higher than the numbers reported. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta said last week that samples taken from blood tests in the United States show as many as 25 million Americans might already have been infected, ten times the number of confirmed cases.

But Tedros cautioned that even with such prevalent spread, billions of people are still at risk of infection.

"This virus still has a lot of room to move," he said. "The virus is spreading aggressively."...........https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/health-news/who-director-pandemic-is-speeding-up/ar-BB167dQB?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

I'm beginning to think that the decline, that we are seeing here in Maryland, might be short lived.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, deeshopper said:

More like, see for myself. Crav fits in just fine. :laugh:

Hey!

Are you on some kind of ER camping trip that I wasn't told about?!

07FunnyCampingPictures.jpg

look out!

(Reuters) - Florida reported a record increase of more than 15,000 new cases of COVID-19 in a single day on Sunday as the growing outbreak forces state authorities to close some businesses and beaches.

If Florida were a country, it would rank fourth in the world for the most new cases a day behind the United States, Brazil and India.

Its daily increases have already surpassed the highest daily tally reported by any European country during the height of the pandemic there. Florida has also broken New York State's record of 12,847 new cases on April 10 when it was the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak.

Edited by vmax
additional info

Numbers are rising back up in Maryland....:nono:

But the number of cases is trending up, as in four of the last five days Maryland has reported at least 700 new cases, after a period where case numbers lingered around 300 and 400. At its peak, the state reported more than 1,000 cases each day................https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-coronavirus-update-july-18-cases-deaths-hospitalizations-20200718-mprpm6t62va7tb6onchxwdljzy-story.html

• 3 months later...

Here we go again. Not like it's ever stopped. It looks like a long hard run ahead.

The U.S. topped the one-day record for new coronavirus cases, according to Johns Hopkins University data, surpassing the previous summer high.

At the height of the surge, on July 16, the U.S. saw more than 77,362 reported new cases of COVID-19. On Friday, the U.S. reached 83,757 new daily cases, according to by Johns Hopkins University.

The news comes on the heels of a study by the University of Washington School of Medicine that projected more than 500,000 Americans could die by the end of February in part because of the nation’s current patchwork of COVID-19 mandates and the inconsistent use of masks to prevent virus spread. ...https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-tops-one-day-record-with-83757-covid-19-cases-exceeding-previous-summer-high/ar-BB1alTUs?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U508DHP

I don't know about you, but for myself and my family this has been a hard period of time, with an end in sight that is far into the future. Yet we have experience now on what we can do.

Wear masks, distance, hand wash............ reach out to neighbors, friends, family to help with the isolation, depression and the fear that so many feel.  I heard last night that could save at least 100,000 lives by February. Each of us can make a difference. I believe that we will.

Sorry Max, I've hit the where I think the world is a fucking mess, especially the US.

These fuckers in the government that allow Trump to do as he pleases are just disgusting.  I see them trashing everything, IF Biden wins, and he inherits a hot mess.

1 hour ago, GrubberRaven said:

Sorry Max, I've hit the where I think the world is a fucking mess, especially the US.

These fuckers in the government that allow Trump to do as he pleases are just disgusting.  I see them trashing everything, IF Biden wins, and he inherits a hot mess.

It is a mess. A good argument can be made for "it's always been a mess."

Yet now we are facing an Extinction Event, with a tipping point not that far off. If we don't act now, what we and the world are currently experiencing is simply a small taste of what's to come. Go past that tipping point and we become the Titanic. End Game.

This is why it's so critical to vote now. Trump will do nothing towards this and we lose 4 more years of precious time. That would mean 8 total years wasted with huge consequences that can't be reversed.