ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Matteson to Michigan?

vmax

The rumors are starting...this came out of left field for me...

Ravens defensive coordinator Greg Mattison has talked to the University of Michigan about their defensive coordinator job, a league source said Tuesday.

It’s a tough decision for Mattison because he has built a close relationship with the Ravens players, especially linebacker Ray Lewis, but he also has strong ties to Michigan and new coach Brady Hoke. They coached together on Jack Harbaugh's staff at Western Michigan and both worked under Lloyd Carr at Michigan. Another drawing point for Mattison is he has family who lives in that area.

If Mattison did leave, it is believed secondary coach Chuck Pagano would be the top candidate to replace him as defensive coordinator.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2011/01/mattison_has_talked_to_michigan_about_defensive_coordinator.html

Then there's the Plexiglass rumor...some reporter brought his name up and Harbaugh gave the bland reply that they would be interested in anybody who would upgrade the team...

But would Burress be the right fit for the Ravens?

“Though Burress, if he still can play after two years away from the field, would be an upgrade, the Ravens still need a consistent deep threat that can stretch the field and draw double coverage,” wrote PFT.com’s Mike Florio.

“Burress would be great along the sidelines or in the back of the end zone, but to truly upgrade, the Ravens may need to make a run at Terrell Owens or Randy Moss. Though no longer truly dominant, they provide more of a down-the-field presence than anyone currently on the Ravens’ roster.”

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/01/18/ravens-open-to-signing-plaxico-burress/

So...it looks like the reporting on the Ravens will be that they want Burress, Moss and T.O....though I seriously doubt it.....but that's the media.

Edited by vmax

Guest BallTMore

Heard the same.

I think Mattison's defense was good enough, but lacked the killer instinct at times. I won't miss his three man rush. It can be a good call, but Mattison seemed to call it at the worst times.

If Pagano can add a killer instinct, we'll be set.

I guess for Mattison it's git-while-the-gittin's good, or git before u get got.

What the heck is Pagano, the SECONDARY COACH, going to be able to do with the real strength of the defense? Maybe just keep coaching the 2ndary and let ray/ngata/suggs handle the front 7.

Re: Pagano.

Being the secondary coach doesn't mean that's what he's always been. He's focused there in the NFL, but was an LB coach in college. Not uncommon for coaches to move all over. Didn't Nolan even move from offense to defense?

The secondary has been a weakness, but largely thanks to personnel. Further, the question always has to be: are they bad because the coach isn't making them better or is the coaching making them better and this is still their best? Apparently the Ravens think the secondary was improving under Pagano (doesn't say much about their feelings on some of the personnel, then)

I guess for Mattison it's git-while-the-gittin's good, or git before u get got.

What the heck is Pagano, the SECONDARY COACH, going to be able to do with the real strength of the defense? Maybe just keep coaching the 2ndary and let ray/ngata/suggs handle the front 7.

Our head coach was a special teams coordinator for ten years before he got his job. I don't think job titles are the only relevance.

I'd say having Harbaugh as HC has improved our special teams; but shouldn't we have had improvement in our secondary over the last decade? And now to have the secondary coach be the new DC? The secondary has always been suspect even with McAlister and a healthy Reed, against good QBs and receivers, always 'second' to our front 7. A targeted weakness. How are we benefitting from putting Pagano to DC?

edit: noted DC, even as Pagano coached LBs in college, what is he going to be able to do with Suggs, Lewis, Ngata, etc. that they can't do themselves? Would he even be able to mold youngsters like Gooden or Kindle (should he ever come) into the Raven LB tradition? Does he even know what that entails? Would Harbaugh even know what to tell him?

Secondary.. it has been a weakness 2007-2010, it has also been hurt by injuries every single year.

The last four years we have lost at least two starters every year. Reed who have had his share of injuries lost ten games, Landry lost the 2008 season, Haruki and Zib have had injuries too.

Now CBs tell me about healthy CBs.. 2007-2008 lost both starters, 2009 Fox played all year and missed next season, and 2010 Carr the backup played all season. Fabian and Webb have had injuries too, Wilson added in the last minute and needed time.

In the AFC titel game 2008.. Steelers started Ike, McF, Pola and Clark.. sunday same shit. Despite that kind of continuety their secondary was not their strength.

Now Ravens is another story only Reed was back.. Reed who btw missed 6 games this year.. Steelers I thougth it was worse but Polamalu only missed two games, rest of them played every single game.