ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Pagano as DC

varaven45

The Sun says so and so does Fab Wash. Fab washington ? Not exactly a resounding affirmation.

All joking aside, maybe he is the right guy. I am wondering:

1. Does this guy have a proven, winning pedigree ? He previously coached at Oakland and Cleveland :cryin:

2. Will players play for this guy (i.e. run through brick walls for him) ?

3. Does he know how to adjust throughgout game (unlike Matti did)?

4. Can he relate to the younger player of today ?

5. Will he run 3 man pass rushes in the 4th Q against Big Ben ?

:fishin:

The Sun says so and so does Fab Wash. Fab washington ? Not exactly a resounding affirmation.

All joking aside, maybe he is the right guy. I am wondering:

1. Does this guy have a proven, winning pedigree ? He previously coached at Oakland and Cleveland :cryin:

2. Will players play for this guy (i.e. run through brick walls for him) ?

3. Does he know how to adjust throughgout game (unlike Matti did)?

4. Can he relate to the younger player of today ?

5. Will he run 3 man pass rushes in the 4th Q against Big Ben ?

:fishin:

Supposedly the players love him and Ed Reed originally wanted him as the DC a couple of years ago. He is supposed to be an aggressive coordinator.

I LOVE what I am hearing from our guys about Pagano.

Players "excited" about Pagano

LB Ray Lewis: "You have to respect how he studies opponents and how he prepares for the task at hand each week. He is truly a pure players' coach. He's a man's man, and there is nothing I wouldn't do for him. I am excited to see what he can do as a defense and as a team leading into next season."

DT Haloti Ngata: "I am really excited for Chuck and for our defense. I know he is a great fit for us. He knows us as players, and he understands the defense well. He will set players up to succeed and let us go out and play."

FS Ed Reed: "Chuck will do everything he can to make sure the defense is prepared for each practice and for every game. The time and effort he puts in and what he will sacrifice will be more than championship caliber."

Late for Work 1/19: Players Excited About Pagano Hire

It’s way past overdue,” Washington told Wilson. “He should have been a defensive coordinator already in the NFL. Chuck is one of the best coaches in the league, period.

“I promise you’ll see that next year, whatever scheme the Ravens run. I’m pretty positive it will be pretty much the same thing, but he will definitely put his twist on it.”

Washington explained that Pagano was responsible for calling the Ravens’ third-down plays and “you could bet your bottom dollar” he would correctly predict what opposing offenses would do.

Pagano also has a long history with safety Ed Reed that extends back to Reed’s high school days. Pagano was the secondary coach at the University of Miami in 1996 and traveled to Destrehan High School in an attempt to recruit Reed.

As we know, Pagano was successful in luring Reed to Miami. Under his direction, Reed became an All-American while the two developed a close bond.

“Coach Pagano is like a father figure to me,” Reed said in early November. “A lot of my success has been because of the mentality he brought to me. … Coach has watched me evolve from a 17-year-old kid to a 32-year-old man. Even to this day, I look up to him. He has always helped me find a way.”

After a single season of working with Pagano, cornerback Josh Wilson is already convinced of his credentials.

“Chuck’s completely, in my view, a great coach and deserves it,” Wilson told National Football Post. “He knows what he’s doing. Chuck is going to be a great defensive coordinator. It’s not going to be any kind of, ‘Can he get the job done?’

“Everybody knows he can handle it.”

From Pagano himself:

"My philosophy is, let's go out and wreak havoc and play defense the way they've played defense for many years around here."

You have to love the energy Pagano brings! The guy is hungry and wants to make his mark. And how about Haloti Ngata being present at the press conference, that really says a lot considering the guy is a pending free agent.

Hue Jackson would have scarfed him up...

Pagano made himself pretty adamant that he would never return to Oakland and work under Al Davis:

Pagano: "Let's go out and wreak havoc"

Pagano was elated to have the opportunity and brushed aside reports he had considered going back to the Oakland Raiders, where he worked as defensive backs coach in 2005-06.

In a humorous moment, Pagano remembered his time in Oakland as "a two-year sentence," and wished new Raiders coach Hue Jackson success.

"I had a great experience out there," Pagano said. "And two years was enough."

I am all for the Ravens defense 'wreaking havoc'---I think we've missed that since Ryan left.

On the other hand, its dismaying to read that he was responsible for play calling on 3rd downs---the 3 man rush comes quickly to mind.

Pagano made himself pretty adamant that he would never return to Oakland and work under Al Davis:

Okay, so that makes Pagano... sane. I guess that's a start. Regarding Hue, is intro press conference was funny, he said they'd "win the division, make the playoffs, and compete for the super bowl" under him, and he meant immediately. So really, in that division, he's promised like maybe 2 more wins than this year's team, I guess, to win the division, and then the other 2 promises are trivially true. Hire that speech writer.

I wonder whether Pagano's previous Raider ties might help us pursue or land CB Asomaugh or even S Michael Huff. Both are FAs, studs but were stymied in Oakland's system and could flourish in our defensive scheme.

How would that defensive backfield look:

LCB Foxworth or Webb

RCB Asomaugh

SS Huff

FS Reed

With the following guys for depth: Carr, Webb, Wilson, Zib and Nakamura

Hmm ? Ok. And then I woke up. Hey, as in the "Rudy" flick, dreaming sometimes makes life tolerable.

I wonder whether Pagano's previous Raider ties might help us pursue or land CB Asomaugh or even S Michael Huff. Both are FAs, studs but were stymied in Oakland's system and could flourish in our defensive scheme.

How would that defensive backfield look:

LCB Foxworth or Webb

RCB Asomaugh

SS Huff

FS Reed

With the following guys for depth: Carr, Webb, Wilson, Zib and Nakamura

Hmm ? Ok. And then I woke up. Hey, as in the "Rudy" flick, dreaming sometimes makes life tolerable.

9 DBs is definitely dreaming. but I like the fantasy of Huff/Asomugha.

Actually, I'd rather draft for that position. But we'll probably have to draft for Tackle or OLB.

The Ravens organization isn't lucky. They're damn good. And deep in talent.

Chuck is perfect for this team and he's hungry. Ravens Defense is back. Swarming, agressive and back in the top 5. I'm so happy they didn't look anywhere else.

The Ravens organization isn't lucky. They're damn good. And deep in talent.

Chuck is perfect for this team and he's hungry. Ravens Defense is back. Swarming, agressive and back in the top 5. I'm so happy they didn't look anywhere else.

Max,

I share your enthusiasm and am too encouraged by what I hear. I hope it will translate to the field and also leads to better fundamentals (wrapping up, coverage) across the D.

Much of the D's success will also depend on how we surround our cornerstones (Ngata, Ray, Reed, Suggs) with more skilled players.

We will need another pass rusher (opposite Suggs), a strong replacment for Landry, and a very strong, stealth, fast CB to suffocate these fast, young WRs from Pittsburgh.

If we take care of both, the D looks promising !

:gorave:

Okay, so that makes Pagano... sane. I guess that's a start. Regarding Hue, is intro press conference was funny, he said they'd "win the division, make the playoffs, and compete for the super bowl" under him, and he meant immediately. So really, in that division, he's promised like maybe 2 more wins than this year's team, I guess, to win the division, and then the other 2 promises are trivially true. Hire that speech writer.

Haha well the Raiders went undefeated in the division so they can hypothetically make that claim. :laugh:

What I like most about about Pagano is that I see a guy who could be with us for awhile as a DC.