ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Team Inventory On Playoff Eve

vmax

It's time to take a brief look at the State of the Ravens at the end of the regular season on the eve of their first playoff game against the Titans. The level of competition that the Ravens will face in the AFC playoff field is now the cream of the crop who survived the regular-season. All of the playoff teams are very good.

Let's see what the Ravens have going for them as they begin their 2021 playoff run.

#1. Hit the Playoffs Healthy and on a Roll.

Check! The Ravens came out of Sunday's game without any injuries and at this time, it looks like they will have a full roster available to play in Tennessee for the first time in a long time. The Ravens ride a five game winning streak during which they dominated their opponents. That's what great teams do when the level of talent that they face does not match up to that of good teams. These were all "must win games" that the Ravens had to win to keep their playoff hopes alive. They've been facing one and done for weeks, answered the challenge and enter the playoffs with the proper mindset and focus. in short: they are on a roll.

Check!

#2 Defense Wins Championships. Baltimore_Ravens_defense_Texans_2020_bal

The most important defensive stat in the NFL points allowed per game and the Ravens are number two at 18.9.  Sundays defensive performance was dominant:

For the third straight game, they held the opposing offense under 270 yards. Cincinnati finished with 195 yards overall, the fewest the Ravens have allowed all season. Quarterback Brandon Allen (6-for-21 for 48 yards and two interceptions) finished with a 0.0 passer rating, the worst mark for a quarterback with at least 20 attempts this season. Of the Bengals’ 11 drives, just three lasted longer than three plays...With run to playoffs, Ravens earn a fresh start — and a shot at redemption - Baltimore Sun

Five of the top 10 NFL offenses are AFC playoff teams. This includes the Ravens offense. A stingy, physical defense is a necessary ingredient to defeat teams of this caliber. The Baltimore Ravens defense fits in this category now that everybody is healthy.

Check!

#3 Special Teams images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOsdVeQwv4QfnOiynYblq

Depending on how you rank special teams efficiency, the Ravens are right around the number two slot. They have the best kicker in the history of the NFL and one of the best all time punters.

Check!

#4. Offense images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSuUTJoyqP4gXsyHAYGQN

The Ravens are the number seven scoring offence in the NFL averaging 29.6 points per game. Three points behind the league-leading Packers. They have the number one rushing attack in the NFL averaging 191.9 yards per game. This is a serious strength entering January playoff games where they'll be on the road in possible cold, wet, windy weather. Behind a big, physical road grading all offensive line the Ravens have settled on the three-headed rushing duo of Lamar Jackson, JK Dobbins, and Gus Edwards. Lamar is the first NFL quarterback to ever have back to back 1000 yard rushing seasons. Defenses have to keep their eye on him at all times due to the threat that he poses as a runner. When Lamar is on the move in the pocket, it creates numerous opportunities for his receivers to be open downfield and in recent weeks Lamar has been exploiting this. In short, teams can stack the box in an effort to stop the run and Lamar, and they are now getting burned by the big play downfield. The Ravens offense has morphed to a new level.

Check! OIF.wtmfx1otscBvNVEUES1rbg?w=290&h=180&c

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFZtHrl_PPYikuEWaXTrs  "What is your view on this Coach?"

OIP.EisYhfNHSM9p4pObwYh9QQHaIR?w=155&h=1  "I'm glad you asked and might I add what a privilege to be on here."

"I like where we're at right now," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said. "I love where this team is right now. I love us going into the playoffs in this scenario at this time. I'm excited about it."...Lamar Jackson becomes 1st QB in NFL history with multiple 1,000-yard rushing seasons as Baltimore Ravens clinch playoff spot (espn.com)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVuDzqoYMneOMcoNwovxC "We're done having kids Lamar so I can't name any after you."

This 2020 Ravens team believes that they can play at a higher level and it seems that they've taken to heart their motto for this year which is to "Finish."

As good as all the fc playoff teams are, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Other than the Bills, the Ravens looked like the most balanced team in the AFC. 

As fans, we're always going to want more. However, you have to like the situation with the Baltimore Ravens at the moment. They did not come limping into the playoffs. They smashed the door down and roared in. They are hungry and focused. 

They are going to have to play more disciplined and focused for 60 minutes. They will have to play faster to match the playoff intensity. Limit mistakes, costly penalties and turnovers as these are playoff killers.

And like all playoff winners: They will need a little Luck.

I like their chances.

OIP.pnWbvBU4XDpw9_wuZqZhawHaEK?w=322&h=1 qg0jzkuvbtwjm9e9yeqg.jpg

Edited by vmax

Dominate when the teams are bad is great but it leaves a lot in question. The pass rush is still a big question mark, the passing game is as well. 

Yes, they should have beaten the Steelers twice, Titans once; all three games they dominated running, stopping the run for most of those games; but they lost all three. The defense tired out at the end, turnovers, penalties.

Frankly, I am ecstatic about 11 wins, it has been a frustrating yet exciting season. Will they go down to Tennessee with a big club, kick the door in & yell; "where are the sumbitches!" Take the fight out of em as we know they can? Win with discipline, win while having fun?

I dunno, I know this has been a strange season, shoot a 5-10 team still had a shot at the playoffs until the last week! What ever happens I am content, I know this team has holes, time to fill them, but a nucleus to build around.

I wonder if the illegal formation penalties are intentional and part of a long con......

When I was a kid my uncle hurt his ankle and they botched the surgery making him walk with a pronounced limp. 8 years later at his 30th high school reunion picnic flag football game he sped down the field and caught a long touchdown to win the game. The limp was a ruse all along - a long con if you will. 

1 hour ago, tsylvester said:

Frankly, I am ecstatic about 11 wins, it has been a frustrating yet exciting season. Will they go down to Tennessee with a big club, kick the door in & yell; "where are the sumbitches!" Take the fight out of em as we know they can? Win with discipline, win while having fun?

I dunno, I know this has been a strange season, shoot a 5-10 team still had a shot at the playoffs until the last week! What ever happens I am content, I know this team has holes, time to fill them, but a nucleus to build around.

Yep. Exactly how I feel. Whatever the outcome Sunday, it's been a good year for the Ravens. Hell when they first started I didn't think the NFL would be able to play more than 4 games due to Covid. 

The team does have holes but like you said a good core to build around.

I've said this before, I REALLY want us to beat the Titans if it's even the only playoff game we win. We ought to be able to do it. If I remember right, Calais Campbell and Wolfe couldn't even play last time we met. Anybody know that for sure? The older I get the worse the memory gets.

oldno....Williams And Campbell were out for that game. Not this time. :gorave: The Ravens will have a full D line rotation to keep them as fresh as possible.

I forgot to add team depth. Covid, IR, and injuries had the Ravens digging deep to find players to fill roles and while they lost some games during this period, they did play close with chances to win.

Now they are healthy and they can expand how they defend and attack the field. They have found their winning formula over the last few weeks. Lamar has abandoned trying to be whatever they were trying to make him be earlier in the year. This is a relaxed, confident group finally having fun on the field. They are a formidable opponent for all the formidable teams they will face. This simply means that they have as good a chance to win any playoff game. 

I'll put up a Titans thread tomorrow. In my world, the 24 hour rule is in effect, meaning, today is Purple Monday. A day to enjoy yesterdays win which had astounding numbers put up yesterday by the Ravens. Mind boggling like the Ravens having the ball for 40 minutes! The D was hardly out there. BTW: anybody can put up a Ravens/Titans thread if they want to talk about this upcoming game right now. No need to wait. I just do it because Dee threatens and intimidates me.

Consider this:

Lamar Jackson became the first quarterback in NFL history with two 1,000-yard rushing seasons as the Ravens quarterback finished with 11 carries for 97 yards. Jackson ended his season with 1,005 rushing yards, the third-most for a quarterback in a season (he holds the record with 1,206 -- set in 2019). 

Just 23 years old, Jackson is the first quarterback to have consecutive 1,000-yard rushing seasons -- accomplishing the feat in his first two full seasons as a starting quarterback. Jackson finished with three passing touchdowns on the day, and 26 for the season. He has 11 touchdown passes to three interceptions over his final five games -- all Ravens wins. Jackson has 46 TD passes in the red zone for his career without throwing an interception, the most in NFL history. 

The Ravens ended the season with the highest point differential in the NFL (+165), the second consecutive year they led the league in that category. Ravens at Bengals final: Baltimore runs for 400 yards in dominant victory to clinch AFC wild card berth - CBSSports.com

He seems relaxed and happy...loose, yet very focused. 

MV5BYjcwNjc4N2QtZmUwOS00NzM1LWIzNmMtZTJi "I see him getting that 0-2 in the playoffs monkey off his back."

:gorave: Here's a teaser:

SUNDAY, JAN. 10

Baltimore Ravens

Baltimore Ravens
No. 5 seed · 11-5

AT

Tennessee Titans

Tennessee Titans
No. 4 seed · 11-5

1:05 p.m. ET (ESPN) | Nissan Stadium (Nashville, Tenn.)

Is this the start of the Ravens' revenge tour?

The Ravens are not your average wild-card team. They led the NFL in point differential entering Week 17, only adding to their margin after beating the Bengals 38-3. They have won five in a row and are led by 2019 MVP Lamar Jackson, who is putting up MVP numbers over the last month. Baltimore is the proverbial Team No One Wants to Face.

The Titans were that team last year, when they rudely ended the 2019 Ravens' dream season. And then Tennessee appeared to knock John Harbaugh's 2020 squad down for the count in Week 11, overcoming a 21-10 road deficit to win in overtime, the low point in this Baltimore campaign. In short: Nashville would be an amazing spot for the Ravens to earn the first playoff win of the Lamar era.

Tennessee's offense ranks with the explosive units in Kansas City and Buffalo, but the Titans' defense falls among the sieves in Jacksonville and Detroit. If the Ravens were to win, they could possibly be headed to Kansas City in the Divisional Round for another revenge game. Did I mention how good these AFC playoffs look?.....NFL Super Wild Card Weekend: One big question for each of the six games

I like that. Revenge Tour. :yeah:

Edited by vmax

8 hours ago, vmax said:

oldno....Williams And Campbell were out for that game. Not this time. :gorave: The Ravens will have a full D line rotation to keep them as fresh as possible.

Well I was half right. Without those two it's no wonder Henry ran wild in the 4th quarter.

Did somebody mention ESPN?

They are going all out for this game.

ESPN announced Monday that it will deliver the Ravens’ wild-card-round game against the Tennessee Titans as a “MegaCast” presentation, with six Disney-owned properties focusing on the matchup. On ESPN and ABC, the “Monday Night Football” team of Steve Levy, Brian Griese, Louis Riddick and Lisa Salters, along with officiating expert John Parry, will call the game from Nissan Stadium, which kicks off at 1:05 p.m. The telecast will feature 4K robotic cameras near the goal line and more super-slow-motion ability, according to a news release.

On ESPN2, analysts Tedy Bruschi, Matt Hasselbeck, Rex Ryan, Booger McFarland and Keyshawn Johnson will analyze game film and strategy in real time in a “Film Room” telecast.

On ESPN+, an over-the-top video-streaming subscription service, analysts from “NFL Live” and “Daily Wager” will analyze the game and betting odds. Mina Kimes, Marcus Spears and Doug Kezirian are among those who will appear on the “Between the Lines” presentation.

On ESPN Deportes, a premium channel, Pablo Viruega and Eduardo Varela will have the call for the Spanish-language telecast, with John Sutcliffe reporting.

On Freeform, Jesse Palmer and Maria Taylor will touch on the game as they interact with guests, including some with ties to Baltimore and Nashville. DJ Khaled will perform at halftime on the network....ESPN announces ‘MegaCast’ presentation for Ravens vs. Titans - Baltimore Sun

Crazy man! OIP.FjNW5jeYBEvV7-ABtxn4UQAAAA?w=164&h=1