ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Between Game Teaser

vmax

I thought this was a pretty good read:

It's time to shut up about Lamar Jackson's playoff record

https://ravenswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/11/baltimore-ravens-lamar-jackson-playoff-record/?utm_source=FOX_Sports

This was cool:

Lamar Jackson has great way of showing respect to media

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/lamar_jackson_has_great_way_of_showing_respect_to_media/s1_127_33749585

ErZ_b2eW4AIZi_s.jpg

Edited by Spen

Yes,  we are fortunate to have Lamar who, when he’s having fun, is the most dynamic, electric and exciting player in football.    

These times and highlight reels of Lamar are fleeting and extraordinary - we should all enjoy and, like Lamar, have fun watching them. I know I am. 😄

1 hour ago, varaven45 said:

Yes,  we are fortunate to have Lamar who, when he’s having fun, is the most dynamic, electric and exciting player in football.    

These times and highlight reels of Lamar are fleeting and extraordinary - we should all enjoy and, like Lamar, have fun watching them. I know I am. 😄

Fleeting? Still don't think he has the "pedigree" to be around for a while? Maybe a brain transplant is needed?

When they are winning and playing well Lamar is having fun so saying the key to a game is Lamar having fun is kind of like saying we are going to win if we have more points. 

Edited by Spen

11 hours ago, Spen said:

Fleeting? Still don't think he has the "pedigree" to be around for a while? Maybe a brain transplant is needed?

When they are winning and playing well Lamar is having fun so saying the key to a game is Lamar having fun is kind of like saying we are going to win if we have more points. 

Spen, you cut me to the quick.   Maybe I was a bit premature with my pedigree remarks about Lamar.  Maybe not.   

Here's the thing -  Lamar has a very unconventional skill set and he's almost impossible for teams to game plan for.   When he's doing his thing

and yes, having fun, he's almost impossible to stop and a helluva lot of fun to watch.   Sure, fun isn't the metric or requirement; its the effect or outcome. 

Bill Pollian, ESPN, &  NFL Network, offered an interesting perspective on XM radio this morning.  He said with Lamar's unbelievable skill set, you almost can never truly

game plan for him.  Interestingly, he added that the decision give Ronnie Stanley a long term deal is closely linked to what the Ravens deal with Lamar.  His reasoning  - 

Lamar may not need the conventional blocking ( blind side LT) and signing Stanley could be counter with how we use and hence contract Lamar.   His point is the Stanley and Lamar

(future) signings have interesting  implications and could be viewed as mutually exclusive.   If you sign or extend Lamar then did we really need Stanley or could we look to OBJ as the better,

wiser long term LT solution.  Interesting food for thought.

Back to the pedigree....  Pollian suggested that Lamar's amazing performance thus far (3 years) has gone without a hitch and hardly a nick.   That's great but he and others believe that with

his amazing skillset, Lamar may have an effective NFL shelf life similar to Cam Newtons (i.e. 7-8 years).  I personally think Lamar has greater skills and pedigree than Cam but could envision an

effective shelf life of 7-8 years.      

Here's the point -  if Pollian and others are right (or even close), we might have already witnessed almost half of his effective shelf life in the NFL.  And is his pedigree, which I truly enjoy 

and is fun to watch, is it fleeting ?   Its a good topic to debate or ponder and there are no right or wrong answers. 

Fleeting or not, I'll continue to enjoy and look for whether Lamar is having fun - because a happy Lamar is a successful Lamar and a winning team.       

And you can bet Saturday night, given the respite from the broken world you described, I'll be watching Lamar and hopefully he and the team have a lot of fun in Buffalo. 

• Like 1

varav...I get your points. We've all worried about Lamar getting injured while running. Like Vick and Newton. Newton was am in  your face ,physicall pounder with the ball. He took big hits. Not like Lamar. So far Lamar's proven us wrong on that account with his 581 million runs.

The talk began in 2018. Pollian is an "I told you so" guy. He's been bringing this up for 3 years. 

Shelf life and all that aside...It's deadlier in the pocket.....where Joe Burrows right now? Prescott? Garoppolo. Luck had to retire. Where did McSoreley get hurt? Flacco?

Lamars skill set and escapability gets him into the open field to avoid the big hits. Can he get hurt seriously. Of course. But that can happen in the pocket too. 

Lamar is simply different.

Max, I think Bill's main point was the money issue; why sign a guy like Stanley, arguably the best left tackle in the game when you have a qb as elusive as Lamar? Brown has proved an average left tackle will work just as well.

Take that Stanley money and give Lamar a play maker on the outside, this way, even IF, his shelf life- elusiveness- fades, he can still have the play maker on the outside. Imagine a Diggs on the outside, Andrews gets open more, as does Snead, single coverage, even the running game is helped.

1 hour ago, varaven45 said:

Spen, you cut me to the quick.   Maybe I was a bit premature with my pedigree remarks about Lamar.  Maybe not.   

Here's the thing -  Lamar has a very unconventional skill set and he's almost impossible for teams to game plan for.   When he's doing his thing

and yes, having fun, he's almost impossible to stop and a helluva lot of fun to watch.   Sure, fun isn't the metric or requirement; its the effect or outcome. 

Bill Pollian, ESPN, &  NFL Network, offered an interesting perspective on XM radio this morning.  He said with Lamar's unbelievable skill set, you almost can never truly

game plan for him.  Interestingly, he added that the decision give Ronnie Stanley a long term deal is closely linked to what the Ravens deal with Lamar.  His reasoning  - 

Lamar may not need the conventional blocking ( blind side LT) and signing Stanley could be counter with how we use and hence contract Lamar.   His point is the Stanley and Lamar

(future) signings have interesting  implications and could be viewed as mutually exclusive.   If you sign or extend Lamar then did we really need Stanley or could we look to OBJ as the better,

wiser long term LT solution.  Interesting food for thought.

Back to the pedigree....  Pollian suggested that Lamar's amazing performance thus far (3 years) has gone without a hitch and hardly a nick.   That's great but he and others believe that with

his amazing skillset, Lamar may have an effective NFL shelf life similar to Cam Newtons (i.e. 7-8 years).  I personally think Lamar has greater skills and pedigree than Cam but could envision an

effective shelf life of 7-8 years.      

Here's the point -  if Pollian and others are right (or even close), we might have already witnessed almost half of his effective shelf life in the NFL.  And is his pedigree, which I truly enjoy 

and is fun to watch, is it fleeting ?   Its a good topic to debate or ponder and there are no right or wrong answers. 

Fleeting or not, I'll continue to enjoy and look for whether Lamar is having fun - because a happy Lamar is a successful Lamar and a winning team.       

And you can bet Saturday night, given the respite from the broken world you described, I'll be watching Lamar and hopefully he and the team have a lot of fun in Buffalo. 

Fair points. Its not impossible for a player like Lamar to stay healthy and last 12+ years but 7-8 is probably more realistic. And that might seem like its a waste in a way, but some non mobile QBs dont last 10 years and some do and seem to lose their ability before 10 years are up.

We shall see.

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Max, I think Bill's main point was the money issue; why sign a guy like Stanley, arguably the best left tackle in the game when you have a qb as elusive as Lamar? Brown has proved an average left tackle will work just as well.

Take that Stanley money and give Lamar a play maker on the outside, this way, even IF, his shelf life- elusiveness- fades, he can still have the play maker on the outside. Imagine a Diggs on the outside, Andrews gets open more, as does Snead, single coverage, even the running game is helped.

Ok I get it. We're talking money.

If Pollian is such a genius they why is he out of a job?

Good Monday Morning Quarterbacking though.

He's the one who said Lamar should play WR.

1 hour ago, vmax said:

Ok I get it. We're talking money.

If Pollian is such a genius they why is he out of a job?

Good Monday Morning Quarterbacking though.

He's the one who said Lamar should play WR.

Bill is out of a job because he chose fo retire and enjoy more time with his family while also working an easier, stress wise, job on tv....

Good stuff to wonder about in the off season. You never know what may happen in the NFL. Look what happened to RGIII. Look what happened to Burrow. 

Perhaps at some point Lamar becomes like Steve Young. Perhaps he doesn't. 

But for now lets ride that tiger for all it's worth.