vmax

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/2/2021 at 11:23 PM, papasmurfbell said:

Tsy what are your thoughts at this point about Oweh to this point?  He has shown freakish ability.  Obviously its early but so far so good.

As you said, freakish ability, he seems to have that keep working harder mentality. I would rather wait to see the pads come on, a few games under his belt. Nothing worse than a practice warrior ya know.

He is in the right place to help him reach his potential if he is willing

On Oweh from todays padded practice.........

Rookie defensive end/outside linebacker Odafe Oweh consistently beat right offensive tackle Alejandro Villanueva on pass rush situations, and he didn’t even use a move but simply ran around Villanueva. Outside linebacker Tyus Bower did the same to left offensive tackle Andre Smith. Inside, the Ravens had no one who could contain defensive end Calais Campbell and at times defensive tackle/end Justin Madubuike.

Villanueva was stiff and too high at times. Sometimes, he didn’t even get his arms extended to engage Oweh.Mike Preston’s Ravens training camp observations on more defensive dominance, LB Patrick Queen and more | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

"This kid, he's going to be a good one," Martindale said. "Don't worry about it; we're going to find a ways to get him on the quarterback, because he's going to get there, and he's going to get there really fast. So, I have great hopes for him. I think that he's going to be a great football player for us, and I don't just throw around the word great. I think he's going to be a problem."....News & Notes: Wink Martindale Has an Interesting Plan for Justin Houston (baltimoreravens.com)

Edited by vmax

Apparently this second unit O line can't pass protect............

In the old days, this type of pressure was called a “jail break” when everyone came close to sacking the quarterback on certain plays. The Ravens had a lot of “jail breaks” Wednesday....Mike Preston’s Ravens training camp observations on more defensive dominance, LB Patrick Queen and more | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

:nono:

Conclusion Mike?

Image result for photos mike preston sun " After watching the offense for a second straight day, I’m starting to assume the Ravens will run the ball this season as much as they have in the previous two. Why? This offensive line is scary right now. This group can’t pass block and quarterback Lamar Jackson doesn’t mind pulling down the ball and taking off. With this group, it might keep him healthy."  :ohmy:

Mike Preston’s Ravens training camp observations on more defensive dominance, LB Patrick Queen and more | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

On Queen....

Last year as a rookie inside linebacker, Patrick Queen led the team in tackles with 102 despite some struggles.

Queen, the 2020 top pick out of LSU, had problems shedding blocks when teams ran straight at him and also in pass coverage. But after a week into training camp, Queen is playing with more confidence and flying to the ball.

There is no hesitation at all, just a crazed linebacker somewhere near the ball on almost every play.

The Ravens website is not mentioning the O lines struggles............only this........

Well....teams blitz on 3rd downs! The line has to give the QB time. Todays group was "O'le."

All I hear is how poor this unit pass protects.

Huntley had a rough day........

Baltimore's secondary grabbed three interceptions during 11-on-11 drills Wednesday, all off Tyler Huntley. Cornerback Anthony Averett started the party with a leaping grab on a pass to the sideline, which he then took for a score. Then Marlon Humphrey held onto a throw that squeaked through traffic on a quick slant.

The third interception was the wildest, as tight end Eli Wolf first caught the pass over the middle, but cornerback Khalil Dorsey punched it out of his hands. The ball ricocheted off a leg and straight into the arms of safety DeShon Elliott, who returned it for a touchdown...Practice Report: Defense Nabs Three Interceptions in Pads (baltimoreravens.com)

9 hours ago, tsylvester said:

As you said, freakish ability, he seems to have that keep working harder mentality. I would rather wait to see the pads come on, a few games under his belt. Nothing worse than a practice warrior ya know.

He is in the right place to help him reach his potential if he is willing

That was always my position.  If any team can make a lb shine it's the ravens.

I get the CAP inplications. Sign Lamar and lose a lot of players in a year or 2. Yet, If Lamar goes, the window closes. I don't want to watch offenses like we had with Flacco, Blake, Redman,  Boller ect.....

It's just as hard to watch a real good team stumble around and waste their talent because of poor QB play.

If you trade the high-priced star you lose his cap hit, sure. But your new qb will usually require 2 seasons to hit his stride and that's assuming you have such a star just laying around. After 2 years you go through the same thing all over again and on and on and on. Seldom will you have a really good younger qb on your team or be able to trade for. And that's not even to say what happens to your team chemistry and cohesion when you're switching out qbs every 4 years. And this goes for any player who is a superstar. Equal replacements aren't just lying around waiting for your team to call with a trade.

The real trick is to balance on a high wire the constant push and pull of paying the high price for a franchise qb and keeping enough of a team around him with enough quality to give yourself a playoff shot every year. The Pats did it for as long as they wanted to keep Brady. They are the model to try and follow.

And that is extremely difficult.

I never said trade the qb every time.  I would do it this time.  Also I think the league is getting close to dealing with outsized qb contracts.  I am heading over and over how it is destroying teams.  A qb salary cap maybe implemented.   They have to do something that is not the same as everyone else.

Sign Lamar,  It's a riddle. Damned if you do, dammed if you don't.

The NFL remains a QB starved league.

I can't forget the Zeierr, Mitchel, Case, Banks, Grrrbc, Boller, Redman, Blake, Wright, Mallett QB carosell. Years of trying to find a competent QB. There were a few good games. We watched a great defense go to waste. 

Well.... the Ravens signed Joe and we saw bad football in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017, It's hurt my brain and burned my eyes. I can't forget the Sunday headaches they gave me. Image result for thank you god animal house photo

The offense was on valium for 3/4'ers of the game. Fans in a stupor. Zombie ball.

And I do not want to give up the fun and excitement of Ravens football since Lamar took the field. Image result for thank you god animal house photo

My life as a Ravens fan changed just like that of the fine young man above.

I will not go back.

Joe's contract did hurt the Ravens as far as having a deep solid roster. It hurt doubly because Joe did not live up to expectations. What were the expectations? That the Ravens would keep making the playoffs like they did with Joe right up to the Super Bowl win for the 2012 season.

Aron Rodgers only has 1 Super Bowl win. Brees only has 1, Their teams paid and could not produce a deep enough roster because of the CAP hits and other factors Rodgers is still crying like a baby yet he keeps cashing those checks.  Manning got 2 rings by default because he really sucked in Denver....the team carried him. Rthsslssxxbrgrrr and Tomlin got their first SB because Cower handed them a deep and talented roster. Rthslxxbrrgrrr sucked in the SB. They got a 2nd SB and CAP wise remained a playoff team despite Rthslxxbrgrr's contract. My hope is the Ravens can do the same thing,.....remain a competitive playoff caliber team with Lamar and his new contract.

I want them to sign Lamar. It would be nice to see it happen this year because the bidding war will be outrageous. They will be serious contenders for the next  years at least. I think Eric and this coaching staff will solve this riddle if it can be solved. Only the Pats have solved it in the SB era so the odds are not good.

I'll take those odds because Ravens football is so much fun to watch now that Lamar's here.

On 8/7/2021 at 12:20 PM, vmax said:

I get the CAP inplications. Sign Lamar and lose a lot of players in a year or 2. Yet, If Lamar goes, the window closes. I don't want to watch offenses like we had with Flacco, Blake, Redman,  Boller ect.....

It's just as hard to watch a real good team stumble around and waste their talent because of poor QB play.

It wasn't just poor qb play, it was bad draft picks on the offensive line, at wide out. You can't draft a pocket passer and not provide a pocket. Likewise with Lamar, he has to be able to create, so you need wide outs who know how to keep routes a live when the play break down. You need linemen who don't stop after shouting watch out.

There is so much that goes into a qb being an mvp than just his talent.

:bow: Stanley's back! They need him so bad!

The Ravens' third week of training camp began with some great news. All-Pro left tackle Ronnie Stanley passed his physical and was back on the field, practicing for the first time since his season-ending ankle injury on Nov. 1.

Stanley did the individual drills portion of practice before heading inside, part of a planned easing-in process.

"I think we were hoping for right around now. He's certainly very much on schedule," Head Coach John Harbaugh said. "[He's] been working really hard. If you'd seen him working the last couple of weeks, you'd have been impressed. So, that was good to see."....Ronnie Stanley Is Back at Practice After Major Ankle Injury (baltimoreravens.com)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31992693/baltimore-ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-noncommittal-vaccine-getting-covid-second

"I just got off the COVID list," Jackson said after Monday's practice when asked if he would get the vaccine. "I got to talk to my team about this and see how they feel about it. Keep learning as much as I can about it. We'll go from there."

Lets go for the covid hat trick in december.  That time get some long haul lung issues.