ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Camp Preview

vmax

Is Gus a Diamond in the Rough?! :gorave:   image.jpeg.f0403866d4202e9d50619d1a9d4a0063.jpeg  Image result for gus edwards ravens photos

6. Gus Edwards’ production last season — 144 carries for 723 yards (5 yards per attempt) and a career-high six touchdowns — is all the more impressive because of his situational usage. According to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats, he faced eight or more defenders in the box on 34% of his carries last season, the sixth-highest rate in the league. In his 23 runs in short-yardage situations, defined here as third or fourth down with 3 yards or fewer to gain, he moved the chains 95.7% of the time and averaged 6.3 yards per carry. If Edwards can stay healthy and continue to improve as a receiver, he’ll set himself up well for a third contract, one more lucrative than his recent two-year, $10 million extension....Ravens training camp preview: What to expect from Lamar Jackson, new WRs and more on offense - Baltimore Sun

Behind this O line the sky's the limit.

This is a good camp preview article...........Ravens training camp preview: What to expect from Lamar Jackson, new WRs and more on offense - Baltimore Sun

I'm getting so fired up as camp approaches. There are so many players to follow. So many position battles to follow as far as depth. 2 weeks from Saturday we'll be sitting in the stands watching the Ravens whale away.

It was great to see and hear Harbaugh at the O's game yesterday. I got Purple Fever. :gorave:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Image result for photos mike preston sun  "I know I'm coming down hard. I'm simply telling the truth."

There are multiple storylines as the Ravens open training camp Wednesday morning, but none more prevalent than the development of quarterback Lamar Jackson and the passing game, as well as improving the pass rush.

Unfortunately, those have been the major issues of the previous two seasons, which resulted in the team’s early round playoff losses....Mike Preston: It’s time for Lamar Jackson to prove he can lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

He's telling the truth here too yet I have the feeling he is also trying to motivate Lamar....

In the case of Jackson, it’s time for him to put on his big boy pants.  :scared:  The NFL Most Valuable Player Award won in 2019 and all those yards, wins and explosive plays are great, but entering his fourth season it’s time to show he is a complete quarterback who can lead his team to the Super Bowl.

The Ravens have pampered and defended Jackson from Day 1.  :scared: The national media has done the same claiming Jackson has the arm strength but needs better receivers around him and a more elaborate passing scheme.  Well, the personnel has improved and we’ll find out more about the scheme once training camp opens.:thumbup::cop:......Mike Preston: It’s time for Lamar Jackson to prove he can lead the Ravens to a Super Bowl | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

Image result for photos mike preston sun 'Hey! We're scoring points and yacking up yards. Not all is bad."

Cold...just cold Mike.....

But can he throw accurately and consistently outside the numbers? Nope, not yet.

Edited by vmax

More from Preston:

"There has been plenty of talk within the organization about Jackson getting a new contract, but the Ravens need to be careful and this deal has to be structured where a lot of money isn’t guaranteed until Jackson can prove this offense won’t fall asleep in the playoffs."

I agree with this. We should know by January, the end of the regular season, if Lamar has 'it' on the outside throws. If he has learned it, they should be able to make a real playoff run. Well, as Preston also says, they need some type of pass rush that scares opposing offenses too and right now they haven't got that either.

I've been a big defender of Lamar for the first two years and kind of feel that I'm 'piling on' here, but lets give these questions this coming season and see what happens before we give him the big contract.

"TE Nick Boyle could be sidelined for part of training camp

Ravens tight end Nick Boyle, who did not participate in the team’s offseason workout program as he continues to rehab from a severe knee injury suffered last November, had a cleanup procedure that could sideline him for a portion of training camp and the preseason, a source said." ---from The Sun.

Oh, Gus Edwards is out for at least the first 10 days after testing positive for Covid.

It's getting harder to find good news about the Ravens lately.

I hope he doesn't get the long haul symptoms or lung damage. that can be career ending. He's a key offensive player. They have no replacement for his straight ahead power running. Few players can cut like Edwards. Shit. Boyle will be ready.

90% of the ravens players are vaccinated. This Delta variant is highly transmissible and has worse symptoms in the unvaccinated. I am beginning to doubt if they will have full fan attendance this year. Maryland has a high vaccination rate...our only hope to get to our purple seats. 

I hope he had the vaccine.  If it is a break through case usually it is a much easier case.  I dont even know how the Ravens are not at 100%. Lamar said it wiped him out last yr.  I would have him talking to the whole team explaining how this virus is no joke and you have to get ahead of it.

10 hours ago, papasmurfbell said:

I hope he had the vaccine.  If it is a break through case usually it is a much easier case.  I dont even know how the Ravens are not at 100%. Lamar said it wiped him out last yr.  I would have him talking to the whole team explaining how this virus is no joke and you have to get ahead of it.

He can't talk to the team. He's in quarantine with the virus.

The most needed practice that this team needs is for Lamar to get as much work as possible with all the new receivers and new O line. Not happening this year.

Advantage Browns and everybody else on the schedule.

He got it once and had issues. How does he not learn from that? And that was last November, 7 months ago,  so you don't build up much immunity against it long term.

If he get's "Long Haul lung damage" it could be a career ender. It's that serious and scary. How unvaccinated people are willing to risk that is beyond my comprehension.

He really hurt himself and the team.

14 hours ago, OneManCypher said:

Lamar needs to be traded , he can’t throw , he keeps getting covid , all he does is get the ravens to the playoffs, And then flames out, trade him now while you can get something for him. The afc is too stacked for a qb like him to ever get a team to the Super Bowl.

Stephen Furst dead: Animal House star dies at 63 | EW.com "Maybe they could get Flacco back."

Mike makes a lot of sense. If I were the Ravens I'd hold off on a contract for now until he gets the message. He has to show he's an adult now and still not a kid. Throwing him a ton of money right now would just be enabling behavior on the part of the team. You don't reward behavior like this. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any other recourse.

10 Ravens Training Camp Observations From Day 2 (baltimoreravens.com)  :gorave:

One, huge wasted opportunity............

But this was a critical training camp for Jackson and this offense. Baltimore invested heavily in upgrading its weapons and pass protection this offseason after producing only a field goal in the 17-3 divisional-round loss at the Buffalo Bills.

The Ravens added two new wide receivers, drafting Rashod Bateman in the first round and signing Sammy Watkins in free agency. Baltimore revamped its offensive line, bringing in free agents Kevin Zeitler and Alejandro Villanueva in addition to selecting Ben Cleveland in the third round.

All of that money and draft capital generated plenty of chatter and optimism around the city for the start of training camp. Over 1,000 fans poured into the first practice, which was supposed to be the unveiling of Jackson and the new offense. On Saturday, a crowd of over 30,000 is expected to watch practice at M&T Bank Stadium, where many wanted to see Jackson slinging the ball all over the field to his new targets.

But any notion that the Ravens moved past the pandemic and returned to normalcy ended when Trace McSorley, Tyler Huntley, and Kenji Bahar were the only quarterbacks suited up for Baltimore. :nono:

What’s the emoji for buzz kill?..............Lamar Jackson's absence delays growth of Ravens' passing attack - Baltimore Ravens- ESPN

:nono:

But the reality is, for a team with Super Bowl aspirations, and one that largely shuffled its offensive line, including adding a new center after rampant snap issues in 2020, this is suboptimal. For any club in these times, let alone a team that continues seek ways to cultivate more explosion in the pass game, tweaking the scheme, vowing to have the QB under center more and overhauling the receiver group with Sammy Watkins in free agency and draft picks Rashod Bateman (first round) and Tylan Wallace (fourth round), the lost time to enhance chemistry and build timing through reps is hardly ideal.....NFL insider notes: Lamar Jackson's positive COVID-19 test could prove costly, and more from Ravens camp - CBSSports.com

Can you get the idea that I am very disappointed?

I was thinking about what Shannon Sharpe added to the Ravens when I read this........

But Watkins believes that it’s actually Jackson who will make his job easier. 

“It’s not me. It’s really what Lamar brings to the table. Whatever Pat Mahomes and all those other (elite) quarterbacks do, he’s doing the same thing,” Watkins said. “It’s Lamar Jackson. He runs and throws and does whatever he wants as a quarterback, and you can’t run certain defenses on him. You can’t do certain things on Cover 2. You can’t run just zone. You’ve got to do some blitzing, you’ve got to do some awkward things, and then you’ve got myself, Marquise Brown, (Mark) Andrews, (Devin) Duvernay, so many guys that can make plays, and then (offensive coordinator Greg) Roman has the run game going. So, it’s going to be kind of the same situation like K.C., just different guys. It’s a lot of freedom.”

After helping one MVP quarterback win his first Super Bowl, Watkins’ top priority is to now do the same for Jackson. 

“It’s been a blessing to go from quarterback to quarterback and know that I’ve had some great quarterbacks where I can go out and do my job and catch the ball and score touchdowns,” he said. “I’m chasing another ring, but I’m not just doing it for me. I’m carrying my energy, but I want it to work for everybody. That’s the biggest thing most guys don’t understand. We’ve got to be unselfish here, and if we do that, we could win a ring. We could win two. You never know.”......:gorave:.............Sammy Watkins envisioned leaving Chiefs for Ravens a year ago (usatoday.com)