ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Question of the Day

vmax

Hensley raises the question of the day.

Can the Ravens' pass defense be fixed? For the first time in their 26-year history, the Ravens allowed more than 30 points in each of their first two games of a season. This is what happens when a defense gives up so many big plays in the passing game. Yes, the Ravens were going against Patrick Mahomes. But Baltimore has to find a way to cover and tackle better. The Ravens surrendered three touchdown passes of more than 30 yards. Fortunately, Baltimore's defense acquitted itself by forcing two key turnovers in the fourth quarter. -- HensleyNFL Week 2 takeaways - What we learned, big reaction questions and team confidence ratings for every game (espn.com)

Linebackers

Inside linebackers Patrick Queen and Malik Harrison both got exposed in pass coverage for the second straight year against the Chiefs, who make it a regular part of their game plan to single them out. Queen often leads the Ravens in tackles, but he often leads them in missed tackles, too. Veteran Justin Houston showed improvement from a week ago and fellow outside linebacker Odafe Oweh was good in run support. Oweh’s hustle and play on the edge kept the Ravens in the game, and the rookie’s game-sealing strip and fumble recovery in the final minute was outstanding. His motor never stops. Grade: D

Secondary

Because of Kansas City’s speed, the Chiefs are a poor matchup for the Ravens, especially with star cornerback Marcus Peters out this season with a knee injury. It’s understandable why the Ravens struggle in coverage against this team, but the tackling was atrocious Sunday night. The Ravens need to break out the tackling dummies this week. Both cornerbacks Marlon Humphrey and Tavon Young are tentative. Grade: D-

That was from Mike Prestons report card. Mike Preston’s report card: Position-by-position grades for Ravens’ 36-35 win over Chiefs | COMMENTARY - Baltimore Sun

as far as putting pressure on the quarterback, that will never be this group’s forte. Grade: C

Queen seemed slower and out of position. Too many tackles down field. Harrison got schooled all night trying to cover Kelce. 

Madabuke is a star in the making. Same for Oweh. 

Peters being out seriously changes what Wink can do. No more cover 0. Smith was out and he's slowing down. They have Young, Averet and Humphry. Not a shut down unit. Safeties played solid. Stephens is learning on the fly.

I see pass defense as a team weakness for this season, yet it is early

See the source image

The pass defense is only going to get better by getting healthy & or with a consistant 4 man pass rush. Both qbs had all day to throw, to move around in the pocket because of either a lack of pass rush or those rushing were not disciplined to their lane assignments.

As was pointed out, Mahomes will make any pass defense look weak, but Carr is only as good as he has time, he gets rattled when hit often; which never happened.

Both middle backers were known for not being able to cover, not in man, bad drops & awareness in zone. That was exposed by more talented passing attacks.

Now, can they, mlbs, improve? I hope so, but think not.

The Lions have a qb who excels when given time but can be confused by coverage and rattled.

9 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

The pass defense is only going to get better by getting healthy & or with a consistant 4 man pass rush. Both qbs had all day to throw, to move around in the pocket because of either a lack of pass rush or those rushing were not disciplined to their lane assignments.

As was pointed out, Mahomes will make any pass defense look weak, but Carr is only as good as he has time, he gets rattled when hit often; which never happened.

Both middle backers were known for not being able to cover, not in man, bad drops & awareness in zone. That was exposed by more talented passing attacks.

Now, can they, mlbs, improve? I hope so, but think not.

The Lions have a qb who excels when given time but can be confused by coverage and rattled.

What say you on Oweh now?  I think he might be special.  Wink seems to be putting him in places to excel.  

Oweh had 38 snaps. Expect this to increase. I think he can develop into a Suggs or Boulware level. His physical skills are superior. He can hold the edge, rush and run down anybody. He can cover too. But mentally....he has some special kind of focus an drive. He's in the perfect place with great coaching to do it.

Add Madabuke and you have some promise for the future...and definitely the present.

19 minutes ago, papasmurfbell said:

What say you on Oweh now?  I think he might be special.  Wink seems to be putting him in places to excel.  

As I said before, physical freak, but consistency is key and he needs to get stronger. Yes he made a couple of plays in each of the first two games. But to be honest, both teams struggled with new lines and he struggled against bigger stronger linemen. He lost focus at times holding the edge, keeping to lane assignments.

However, he will get NFL strong with time and I expect him to be a very good edge player. I wish Wink would stop trying to teach him to cover and just let concentrate on rushing.

1 minute ago, tsylvester said:

As I said before, physical freak, but consistency is key and he needs to get stronger. Yes he made a couple of plays in each of the first two games. But to be honest, both teams struggled with new lines and he struggled against bigger stronger linemen. He lost focus at times holding the edge, keeping to lane assignments.

However, he will get NFL strong with time and I expect him to be a very good edge player. I wish Wink would stop trying to teach him to cover and just let concentrate on rushing.

Just dp the Parcells to LT method of coaching?  For now sure.  In time he needs to be more dynamic.  So far in the right situations he has been good.  I only see it getting better.

I have to agree that I just don't see this defense getting a worthy pass rush from the from this line. Ever. The linebackers are still young and need more experience. The secondary, which has in the past covered up for a lack of pass rush is hurting. Oweh and Madabuike are bright spots and Humphrey and Averett are playing well but you lost Peters and we lack a pass rush to make up for that and vice versa. This team will have to win by rushing the ball on offense and keeping the D off the field. It didn't work so well in week 1 but did work last night.

Only the Ravens could win a 'shootout' with a rushing offense. And damn if they didn't do it.

It struck.me today as some of the pundits were applauding Harbs for going for it on 4th & 1, specifically, given the defense has given up 68.pts so far this year; 2 games.

What came rushing back were the memories of the 1999/2000 defense: 65 pts total for the season-TOTAL

Oh my how great would it be to have that defense again, but no one can, no one has.

The defense will get better, a lot of young players throughout, they will learn. As the running game gets used more and improves-consistency-, the defense will get more rest, be stronger later in games, in theory.

Also, they won't be facing the passing attack of Mahomes every week over the next 15 games.

Thus, with more experince, with health, with lesser passing attacts, the numbers should get better.

How soon I forget. It was 165 points. That  sounds so unreal and impossible now. Those Ravens didn't just set the record, they buried the old one. The Ravens playoff D stats are actually unbelievable.

Ravens Trivia Question of the Day:

What is Tony Banks middle name?

We've relied on the defense since 99, we've been spoiled as long as the come up with a big play here and there during the game we will be fine.

The offence is going to click and put up points. I like what I see after 2 games it's not the same 7 yard pass and then down. We are actually picking up decent yards after the catch. I Just hope when Bateman hits the field we still see Watkins.

2 hours ago, cravnravn said:

We've relied on the defense since 99, we've been spoiled as long as the come up with a big play here and there during the game we will be fine.

The offence is going to click and put up points. I like what I see after 2 games it's not the same 7 yard pass and then down. We are actually picking up decent yards after the catch. I Just hope when Bateman hits the field we still see Watkins.

I am not expecting much from Bateman.  The lack of time building chemistry will steal his production away this yr.