ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

All the Kings horses and All the....

vmax

Can they put Humpty together again? 

Or should we do the Emperor's New Clothes because the Ravens were exposed butt naked Sunday.

And the fans turned their backs and emptied the stands.

They have 2 weeks and wow what a mess. 41 points worth.Thousands of yards. 

The usual team issues of can't tackle, can't cover, can't run ( other then Lamar)  remain. This is kind of serious for a game that requires a few basic fundamental skills: you block, you tackle, you run, you pass, you catch.

Mekari will be out awhile with a high ankle sprain. The have David Sharpe and Smith to replace him? Anybody else?

Who will be available by week 9? Wolfe, Hayes, Boyle, James, Watkins, Murray, Westry,..I'm probably missing some players, there's so many out injured.

Then there the Missing Persons list of players who were on the field but not seen near the ball.  The linebackers,, safeties.......the CB's need help...Can anything be done with them?

How can this mess be improved?

I would love to know what happned in the lockeroom at half time. Something had to have happened for them to comoletely collapse in the 2nd half. Did the prevent defense in the last two minutes tick the players off?

You simply don't go from dominating a game to being dominated like that when the other team doesn't make any changes. There has to be a dead fish somewhere in the lockeroom, right?

Humphries doesn't go from being a shutdown corner to Burnt Toast Jenkins in one half. They weren't tired from the game, the clock was pretty even at half time. Shoot, even Averate was able to man up and cover very well in the first half.

It's more than just pressure on the pocket; granted Burrow did more 3 step drops, but come on...

Tackling that went well in the first half is all of a sudden an issue in the 2nd? Nope, not buying it, something went wrong between the players & coaches...

I can't see these players giving up and quiting on the team and each other for any reason. 

They haven't tackled, pressured or covered for 4 full quarters except against the Chargers. Wentz, Carr, and Burroughs all threw over 400 yards. Did they quit those games?

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

I would love to know what happned in the lockeroom at half time. Something had to have happened for them to comoletely collapse in the 2nd half. Did the prevent defense in the last two minutes tick the players off?

You simply don't go from dominating a game to being dominated like that when the other team doesn't make any changes. There has to be a dead fish somewhere in the lockeroom, right?

Humphries doesn't go from being a shutdown corner to Burnt Toast Jenkins in one half. They weren't tired from the game, the clock was pretty even at half time. Shoot, even Averate was able to man up and cover very well in the first half.

It's more than just pressure on the pocket; granted Burrow did more 3 step drops, but come on...

Tackling that went well in the first half is all of a sudden an issue in the 2nd? Nope, not buying it, something went wrong between the players & coaches...

John Harbaugh shares his disdain for preseason football - ProFootballTalk

On Humphrey and the secondary.......

In the second half of the season, Hewitt wants Humphrey to trust his technique

"He's had really good games," Hewitt said. "(Against) the Chargers, he had to take 81 (Mike Williams) all by himself. He did that and did a really good job against him. Chase got the best of him. What we're talking about moving forward is, continue to work on your technique. Don't stray from what your technique is, which has gotten you to this point. You watch it from the first quarter to the fourth quarter, he changed what he was doing. He was doing a really good job the first quarter, and then the fourth quarter he changed what he was doing technique-wise and it hurt him."

Hewitt said the focus on sharpening technique wasn't meant just for Humphrey, but for the entire secondary. The Ravens are ranked 29th in the NFL in pass defense, surrendering 296.1 yards per game.

"We're going to get better over the bye," Hewitt said. "We've had some bumps in the road. We'll keep on working our technique. The message hasn't changed; the sky is not falling or anything like that. We're in a good position, and we're just going to continue to keep on getting better.".............Sky Isn’t Falling for Ravens’ Secondary, Marlon Humphrey (baltimoreravens.com)

It looks like Wink got hood winked. 

On almost two-thirds of Burrow’s 38 drop-backs inside M&T Bank Stadium, he faced man coverage. He seemed unbothered by it, completing 14 of 24 passes for 304 yards, three touchdowns and one interception and not taking a single sack....Ravens film study: A big gamble costs the defense vs. Joe Burrow and the Bengals - Baltimore Sun

He's been doing this a ton this season. when Peters went down I thought no more cover zero this year. limit man coverage. They don't have the personnel to pull it off. He doesn't have enough cover guys and he doesn't have players who can blitz and pressure the passer consistently. And...apparently he ignored game film....

It was a curious strategy. Over the season’s first six weeks, Burrow led all qualifying quarterbacks in passer rating against man-to-man looks, according to Sports Info Solutions, defined here as Cover 0 (no deep safeties), Cover 1 (one deep safety) and Cover 2 man (two deep safeties). Opponents adjusted accordingly; Burrow had seen man coverage on more than 10 drop-backs in just one game before Sunday.

as the Ravens’ pass rush slowed, their pass defense softened and their tackling worsened. 

Here's one change they can make going forward.

Edited by vmax

The Big 'IF".....

The Ravens will have good chances to build more of a cushion coming out of their bye week with games against the Minnesota Vikings, the woeful Miami Dolphins and the Chicago Bears. Their home game against the Browns the Sunday night after Thanksgiving could tell us a lot about the ease of their road to the playoffs. If they go undefeated in November to get to 9-2, their brutal late-season schedule won’t inspire quite as much anxiety..AFC North breakdown: Assessing the Ravens’ competition in another heated race for the throne - Baltimore Sun..

I see at least 1 loss in there somewhere. If Cousins throws for 400 yards then it might be time for us to pack in our hopes. MV5BYjcwNjc4N2QtZmUwOS00NzM1LWIzNmMtZTJiMDE1NDA4MmM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_UY100_CR30,0,100,100_AL_.jpg "I do see the Ravens winning this one.

Ravens/Browns. By the time this game happens Mayfields shoulder should be nice and tender. His back up Keenan is more of a threat. Toss up.

And then there's reality.....

They’re still a wounded team with no tackle depth, a group of running backs that doesn’t scare anyone and a defense that has allowed three quarterbacks to throw for more than 400 yards. The Ravens can’t fall back on power football the way they did down the stretch last season, and they better play well in November because they’ll face the Green Bay Packers, the Bengals and the Los Angeles Rams in Weeks 15, 16 and 17.:scared:...AFC North breakdown: Assessing the Ravens’ competition in another heated race for the throne - Baltimore Sun

It ain't over until it's over but you gotta feel that the season died with all the injuries before it ever got really started. I think we win the next three but I don't see us running the table for sure. We'll be lucky to make the playoffs where we will be one and done. JK Dobbins, Gus, Stanley, Marcus, et. al., would have made a huge difference this season. All we can really do at this point is hope they come back next year without their talents being diminished due to the injuries they had. I've been comforting myself by remembering Jamal Lewis tore his ACL early in his career and came all the way back. Meanwhile I look to our passing offense as the one bright spot. Brown, Bateman, and Watkins & Andrews are a pretty formidable group and if Lamar continues to progress as a passer like he has been we should have a dynamite year next year.