ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Week 8. Ravens' vs Bucs

vmax

Pete Prisco ... Wrong! :. "This is a game where Tom Brady and the Bucs get it going. Look for some deep shots for big plays as the Bucs get the best of the Ravens
Pick: Bucs 27, Ravens 19"

The experts can't see that Brady is deep into the twilight of his career.

Next Gen stat of the game: Devin Duvernay reached a top speed of 20.19 mph on his 15-yard TD run, the third time Duvernay has reached 20-plus mph as a ball carrier this season. Only Tyreek Hill (four) has reached 20-plus mph more times this season.

NFL Research: Isaiah Likely's 77 receiving yards against Tampa Bay were the most by a rookie tight end in a prime-time game since his teammate Mark Andrews in Week 16, 2018 (had 83 receiving yards vs Chargers)....2022 NFL season, Week 8: What We Learned from Ravens' win over Buccaneers on Thursday night

Edited by vmax

200 yards rushing in the 2nd half, 24 pts, plays the Ravens haven't run, players making plays, finally. They seemed to relax and just play: bout time.

The defense was huge on 3rd downs, forcing Brady to rush his throws, making him see ghosts.

Still, they gave up over 300 yards in the air and 14 pts in the 2nd half.

Make the playoffs, then play complete games, because if this team does play complete games, no one can best them

I know it was against a team playing very badly, a team missing many defensive starters.

But this, from USA Today,

After sputtering in the first half, the Ravens scored on all four of their second-half possessions and protected the football – which also hasn’t been a given for a unit that entered the game with seven fourth-quarter giveaways.

Speaks volumes.

1) They only had 4 possessions in the second half. Think about that for a moment. It means that they held the ball so long, it also kept the other offense off of the field, Limited their possessions.

2) aside from thr kneel down to end the game, the scored on each of the 4 possessions, 3 of them touchdowns.

That builds confidence, muscle memory if you will. The players not only proved to the coaches, the fans, but to them selves that they can do it when tasked.

It is something to build on, even or especially against the drubs of this league.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, tsylvester said:

Tampa's defense is hurting, a lot of players injured, Roman better, even on a short week, have a game plan to take full advantage of their weaknesses. This is a prime time, if you will, for this offense to take off.

I have to give him credit, Roman called a masterful second half, great set up plays, great sets, quick hits, audibles, just nice to see an NFL offense..

4 hours ago, tsylvester said:

I have to give him credit, Roman called a masterful second half, great set up plays, great sets, quick hits, audibles, just nice to see an NFL offense..

I have to agree...but why does this happen so seldom?

42 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

I have to agree...but why does this happen so seldom?

Many reasons is my guess. One is obviously what is Lamar comfortable with? How about his receivers? The offensive line & backs?

We know that Lamar is limited in the types of throws he can make. He rarely throws anticipatory, or throws someone open.

Even in this game, as brilliant as he was in the 2nd half, with quick throws to the wide receiver screens, stop routes along the sideline, he missed open receivers, and tightends in the redzone. Not just because he didn't see them, but because he didn't 1) see them in time and 2) didn't, couldn't make the throw.

Take the first trip down, Lamar throws to Andrews but the defender knocks it away. Had Lamar thrown that a second sooner, before Andrews stops and turns, it's a touchdown, undefense-able.

Abother instance, also in the first half, he has Duv open on an out route in the endzone, with a step & a half on his man, it was man coverage. This is a persnap read, also knowing the routes should have had Lamar looking and throwing that pass first, leading Duv into the corner, touchdown. Instead he sees it late and throws it away.

We know that he struggles with deep passes, the touch, the arch.

So maybe it has taken until now for him to be comfortable with the quick throws outside, now trusting, because he had to with the injuries, trust other receivers.

When a defense cant clue in on one receiver/tightend, it makes everyone's job easier to get open.

Again, this was against a bad team, with no defensive depth that wore down in the 2nd half of a short week game. Time will tell if they can do this again, they have the Saints, another bad team, one that can beat you if your don't prepare, to "practice against and hopefully move to 6-3... Then a bye week to get healthy. One game in the next what, 20 days?!

The touchdown to Likely, Tampa was in zone, presnap read easy. The safeties because of the formation are split wide, all Lamar has to do to open the middle is look left quckly.

If Lamar knows the routes, he should know the routes, he should know that Likely is on a skinny post and once Lamar moves the safety wide on the quick look, just zip the ball into Likely. This should have been the first read based on the defense. The underneath routes were not going to be open nor produce much even if they were because of the backers in the zone.

But Lamar looks for his first read, Proche underneath, sees it covered, then has to avoid the rush and make a much more difficult throw to Likely, who made a great route correction when Lamar scrambled.

In the end it was a touchdown, but these, presnap reads, are what may be holding this offense down, keeping Roman from calling certain plays. Last night they had no choice but to use those quick throws to Robinson, who did fabulous with run after catch with Boyle and Likely blocking for him.

Reviewing the game, I have to admit I was wwwwrong about Nogain, who shall now be referred to by me by his real name, Justice, not Justin, Hill, he has earned his name back.

Starting with his special team play, forcing a blocker into the returner to create a fumble, awesome. Then his blocking again when brought into the offense, special. He is running at full speed when handed the ball, with quickness and power.

Folks, with Gus wearing defenses down, a fast/quick, powerful runner makes hay against a worn out defense.

Teams are also ignoring him in the flat on many occasions, one of these times, maybe when needed most, Lamar will look over there and throw the speedster a pass.

He really has finally showed confident running this year, fumble aside.

Good stuff, Tsyl! I always learn a lot from your posts.

The Justice Hill story is a good one for this team, especially the way we go through running backs. Good for him.

I think, now,that Lamar is just Lamar. He doesn't seem to be able progress on his reads. Its a weakness of his but he has a ton of other things to offer. I'm sticking with him. Just wish he seemed happier. Is the contract news wearing on him, I wonder?

Yeah I don't know, he clearly seems annoyed, even when they have success. I notice he doesn't seem as fast, quick as he was last year, is that; injury to the hip? Him not going full speed to avoid injury? Is he holding back?

You would have to think that he is tired of hearing about his contract, media constantly asking, talking about it. Fans constantly making remarks about it, that would weigh on anyone.

Maybe this mini break will help him "get away", heal physically and emotionally, followed by the bye week help him to regroup.

6 games against subpar teams, this team could be 11-3, primed for post season play....

1 hour ago, papasmurfbell said:

I believe the is Hill's contract yr.  Is he worth bringing back?

Before the last few games, you know I and grub would say no way. But he seems to have really turned the corner on offense. At the right price,sure, bring him back.

Yes you can Draft a quick, fast back in the later rounds, but his special teams play has always been top notch, will a drafted rookie be able to do the same?