ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Week 8. Ravens' vs Bucs

vmax

See the source image

Tampa Bay has now lost 4 of its last 5 games after starting the season 2-0.

Looks like a trap. Feels like a trap. The Ravens have to break this "Win One, Lose One" Spell. Thursday night's the night. :gorave:

ESPN Matchup Indicator gives the Ravens a 45.7% chance of winning but that changes up and down rapidly. Ravens are +2.5-point spread. However, the Ravens are 8-4 on Thursday night. Baltimore is 4-2 vs the Bucs.  Lamar was 12-0 vs NFC Teams until the Giants loss. 
So.....we have that going for us.
And a little MoJo here...

unknown.png

Then again...Brady is 6-2 all time vs the Ravens. But....but.... he's a little older now....  bryansperry2.gif

Team Stats

bal.png&h=100&w=100 tb.png&h=100&w=100
Points Per Game 25.9 17.7
Points Allowed Per Game 23.0 17.7
Total Yards 355.9 341.9
Yards Passing 199.6 277.4
Yards Rushing 156.3 64.4
Yards Allowed 385.1 328.7
Pass Yards Allowed 280.0 210.4
Rush Yards Allowed 105.1 118.3

OIP._4kGrWDZM8Nnzk9F0VdQ3AHaFj?w=228&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.7 summoned the best minds to get an accurate prediction:2016-05-05-1462455650-7362093-giphy-thum

After deep contemplation...

jwxYMB4= see a Ravens win and this season entering the Twilight Zone of a Mike Preston prediction of their destiny: Ravens are in position to make a run, warts and all :gorave:

Edited by vmax

Gonna copy & paste from the other thread... not sure I want to see the active/inactive list for this game... Bucs are out two of their starting safeties...

Hate the short week, who is going to play from those who came back from injury?

Lamar in night games, normally a 105 passer rating, will we get him or the hesitant one we've seen this year?

Which defense will show up? Will Evans burn us, flags be thrown for roughing the golden boy?

I hate night games, especially Thursday night games, and so do the players

3 winnable games in a row against subpar teams, 2 at night, yuk. But if this offense doesn't get things going in the first two, we might see a change, but who will take over? Urban, someone from college?

There are going to be a lot of head coaches fired after this season, maybe some good oc's available, until we know what they are going to to do with Lamar, there is not much sense in making the full change...

Tampa's defense is hurting, a lot of players injured, Roman better, even on a short week, have a game plan to take full advantage of their weaknesses. This is a prime time, if you will, for this offense to take off.

I will say, I forgot how stacked Cleveland's D line was and the right hand side was showing its age and injuries.  Roman should have been jettisoned in the offseason, but here we are.

Not sure who we replace him with, but he's the problem. 

Tampa is beat up, hurting and demoralized.  They are a wounded duck that most folks have given up on.

However, we've watched this movie before - last night no one gave Chicago & Justin Fields a chance against NE.

This is different game but my point - we need to play pissed off and act like we have a chip on our shoulder after a 

mediocre performance against the Browns.

Regardless of OC, I think we need to pound the hell out of the rock.  Give Tampa a steady diet of Gus, Drake and 

Hill (if he gets out of doghouse), and Lamar.    Dominate the LOS, take advantage of Tampa's weakened troops,  

consume the clock, and keep Brady off the field.   

Don't get me wrong, I fully expect Tampa (desperate as they are) to come out pissed and playing for their lives. 

We need to dominate, punch Tampa in the mouths, and keep pounding em all night.    That's a path for us to

sneaking a W in Tampa.    

That's the problem with short week games, who knows how the players are going to be ready to play. It could just be a war of attrition, the minds might be ready, but anyone who is old knows full well that the body will argue against the will of the mind.

I wish this game was on a full week, this could be a shoot out, a low boring slumber or one team may be more able to dominate.

unknown.png

Ravens are 2nd team in NFL history with 3 players on their active roster who have totaled over 90 career sacks:

Justin Houston (106 sacks)
Calais Campbell (96.5)
Jason Pierre-Paul (92.5)

If only Fuller was healthy. The Ravens are starting to look strong as far as rushing the passer. Oweh, Houston, JPP, Campbell. Jones (don't forget the rookie!). Toss in Bowser and Ojabo. If they get healthy.... this could really turn into a strength that was hard to see beck in September. Pressure Brady. You know what happens. 

Speaking of pressure: 

Justin Houston: "I think what we've been going through is just growing pains. I prefer to go through it at the beginning of the season than the end. We all know, you've just got to get hot at the right time. I love our team. I think we've got everything we need to win it. We've just got to continue to build and grow. That's what we've been doing, and it showed today. We had guys step up on special teams, defense and offense to make plays and get us this victory."
[7:05 AM]
Gus Edwards: ""It was a must-win situation, big divisional game, a rivalry game. We have momentum now, and we just have to keep building it up. We're going to find out about ourselves in the weeks to come."

Calias Campbell: "We've got a lot of fighters; a lot of fighters. We believe in each other, and we work really hard to prepare. But the biggest thing is that we want to keep getting better, and I think we are getting there at the right time of the season. Justin Houston came up big for us today. I thought he was the best player on the field when he was out there. And Gus [Edwards], the same thing. The offense looks totally different when he is out there. He made some big runs, got into the end zone [twice], and changed the way we played. He took the ball for us at some critical moments, and all of those things added up to put us in position to win the ball game. And it's not just them, it's everybody. Everybody stepped up today. We had opportunities today, and we took advantage of them. And we played our game.

unknown.png

Edited by vmax

Roman should go at the end of the season. He's shown an inability to adapt just as he did with his previous 2 teams.

Lamar looks really down, man. He definitely ain't having fun like he used to and that seems to go hand-in-hand with how he performs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't request a trade after this season. Wouldn't that be something?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, oldno82 said:

Roman should go at the end of the season. He's shown an inability to adapt just as he did with his previous 2 teams.

Lamar looks really down, man. He definitely ain't having fun like he used to and that seems to go hand-in-hand with how he performs.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't request a trade after this season. Wouldn't that be something?

There is no way Lamar comes back if Greg stays here.  None.  Totally agree with you oldno82, he isn't having fun because he's in the same trash system that is no longer creative or evolving. Lamar is doing his best to get better, but the system isn't allowing him to apply it and build confidence.  I will say if he wants to be a leader, like this team NEEDS a leader, pouting won't help him.

I know people fault Harbaugh's loyalty to his staff and who doesn't want a boss who is loyal to you, but he needs to see the that Roman is not helping this team.  Like Cam, his hand needs to be pushed.

Roman has not made the adjustment as a play caller for the passing attack. Let him go if you can find somebody better, but that somebody is not on the Ravens coaching staff. Roman and Lamar are responsible for the inconsistent 26th ranked passing attack. The Ravens would have 4 or 5 more TD's if Lamar was accurate. You have to shoulder some of the blame on Lamar. Then the issues at WR. Bateman has been hurt and missed games. (The Ravens’ No. 1 receiver, Bateman was tied with Houston’s Brandin Cooks heading into Week 8 with a league-leading five drops, according to Pro Football Focus.)  Robinson and Likely have not made an impact. They are leaning on the run since Gus came back....as they should. Get the rushing attack going to control the game and reduce turnovers until they can get the passing attack fixed. 

This is a good read for the upcoming Bucs game....

Jackson has thrown three touchdown passes and four interceptions over his past four games. He has gone three straight games without completing 60 percent of his passes and four straight without posting a quarterback rating over 81. Brady, meanwhile, has thrown one touchdown pass or fewer in six of seven games for a Buccaneers team that has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations. Tampa Bay has lost four of its past five games and was blown out Sunday by the rebuilding Carolina Panthers............The Browns held the Ravens to just 3.6 yards a carry. For the Ravens, Thursday marks another game against a struggling run defense. Tampa Bay’s rush defense ranks 16th in the NFL, allowing 118.3 yards per game on the ground, but the Buccaneers have allowed more than 150 rushing yards in three of the past four games....First-and-10: Key matchups, subplots and storylines for Ravens-Buccaneers - The Athletic

Edited by vmax

Yup...Tampa Bay Buccaneers to be without four starters vs. Ravens (espn.com) :gorave:

Today's Quote: Unfortunately for Baltimore, the points the offense is scoring and the deficit it creates is leading to the discovery of the teams' weaknesses. as opposed to the opposite like with some of the old colts cover 2 teams.

PGWE: Why W-L Record Underrates the Ravens | Football Outsiders

• TE Cameron Brate (neck) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • CB Carlton Davis III (hip) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • WR Mike Evans (ankle) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.)
  • QB Tom Brady (rest) - Limited Participation (Wed.)
  • WR Russell Gage Jr. (hamstring) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • G Luke Goedeke (foot) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • DT Akiem Hicks (foot) - Limited Participation (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • WR Julio Jones (knee) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • TE Ko Kieft (ankle) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.)
  • G Shaq Mason (ankle) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.)
  • CB Sean Murphy-Bunting (quad) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • S Antoine Winfield Jr. (concussion) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out

Ravens

• TE Mark Andrews (knee) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • WR Rashod Bateman (foot) - Did Not Participate (Tues.), Full participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • LB Josh Bynes (quadricep) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • DE Calais Campbell (illness) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Did Not Participate (Wed.) Game Status: Out
  • CB Marlon Humphrey (hamstring) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Full Participation (Tues.), Full participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • CB Marcus Peters (quadricep) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Full Participation (Tues.), Full participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • T Ronnie Stanley (ankle) - Did Not Participate (Mon.), Did Not Participate (Tues.), Full participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • RB Gus Edwards (knee) - Limited Participation (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Limited Participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • CB Brandon Stephens (oblique) - Limited Participation (Mon.), Limited Participation (Tues.), Full participation (Wed.) Game Status: Questionable
  • G Ben Cleveland (foot) - Full Participation (Mon.), Full Participation (Tues.), Full Participation (Wed.)

On 10/25/2022 at 9:34 AM, tsylvester said:

3 winnable games in a row against subpar teams, 2 at night, yuk. But if this offense doesn't get things going in the first two, we might see a change, but who will take over? Urban, someone from college?

There are going to be a lot of head coaches fired after this season, maybe some good oc's available, until we know what they are going to to do with Lamar, there is not much sense in making the full change...

Tampa's defense is hurting, a lot of players injured, Roman better, even on a short week, have a game plan to take full advantage of their weaknesses. This is a prime time, if you will, for this offense to take off.

Let Tee have a shot at it.

On 10/25/2022 at 10:15 AM, GrubberRaven said:

I will say, I forgot how stacked Cleveland's D line was and the right hand side was showing its age and injuries.  Roman should have been jettisoned in the offseason, but here we are.

Not sure who we replace him with, but he's the problem. 

HE is far from the only problem.

Not feeling it for the good guys tonight - Calais out, probably Andrews too.  Lamar starting to play like Bad Lamar.

Bucs, losers of 2 in a row, are desperate and in a must-win situation.  Brady won't let him team lose 3 in a row.

As beat up as they are, Brady and the Bucs will be pumped up, play with urgency, and right the ship.  

They have to win this game more than do we.   

Conclusion:  Brady schools our D, Lamar reverts to bad Lamar, rumors to OC Greg Roman and DC McDonald's ouster abound tomorrow morning,

and Harbaugh later quips '"we got to play better" when lamenting about tonight's game and discussing our next opponent (New Orleans next Monday night).     

Hope I'm wrong but am not feeling it!