ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Camp Thoughts

oldno82

All I know is what I read in the paper and on the websites, but the first few days of camp sound like they've gone pretty well. Beckham, Ojabo, and Jackson sound like they're clicking so far. We'll know a lot more when the pads come on Monday.

Flowers was doing good until his stomach illness. Here's hoping he's not eating with Lamar who's had his share of stomach problems too in the past.

Meanwhile, has anybody been at any of the practices to offer some deeper insight?

Follow "The Vault" podcast.  Been my fix since dropping twitter and it weeds through all the nonsense and gives pretty good analysis and reporting.

Flowers seems legit.  I'm more worried about the running game than CBs to be honest.

Not a bad write up, I loved reading this part and agree, health is rhe only thing holding Pierce back from dominating

Michael Pierce, Defensive tackle

It’s never been about production and talent from Pierce, it’s about remaining healthy. When he’s on the field, he’s a wrecking ball and Saturday’s practice showed how physical and technical he can be, even without the pads on. Pierce looks to be in tremendous shape and coincidentally we’ll be hearing from him after Monday’s practice. The Ravens are excited to have him back and for good reason.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2023/7/31/23811924/baltimore-ravens-training-camp-stock-report-risers-fallers-after-week-1-2023-training-camp-nfl-news

Yup. Good article. The defense seems to be really showing its teeth. Offense sounds like it's having a bit of trouble adjusting to the new playbook and to the defense's new found prowess.

I'm starting to get jazzed waiting for the first preseason game so I can see how the young guys are doing.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/zay-flowers-ravens-practice-report-training-camp-cooks

The Ravens had a second straight day of padded practice and the offense fired back.

Here's what stood out in Tuesday's practice:

Rookie wide receiver Zay Flowers had a quiet day Monday after returning from an illness that sidelined him for two practices. But Tuesday was a different story. The Ravens had one-on-ones between wide receivers and defensive backs, and Flowers showed it's going to be near impossible to cover him in that situation. Granted, it's a tough assignment – on an island, with no help from anywhere. Still, Flowers made a diving grab against Rock Ya-Sin. The rookie later went deep on Daryl Worley for a long completion. Then he sent undrafted rookie Corey Mayfield Jr. to the turf with his quick moves.

Flowers also scored a touchdown in 7-on-7 red-zone drills, getting away from safety Kyle Hamilton and behind Marcus Williams in the back of the end zone.

Flowers won't just be dangerous through the air. He's also going to be a threat running the ball on jet sweeps, etc. The Ravens used that a fair amount with Devin Duvernay last year and Flowers looks more explosive doing it. He gets to the edge in a hurry.

So far, so good with Flowers. If he stays healthy he could be a real shot in the arm for this offense. I think he's going to be a successful first round WR pick for the Ravens.

Meanwhile, has any one heard when Bateman might take the field?

I think it's crazy what he's doing. What could possibly be his thinking in that by not playing he enhances his value? He has a lot to prove in that is he completely over his injury. Yes he played well toward the end of last season but he was definitely missing his top gear. Maybe he just doesn't want to risk getting injured in camp but that is really no excuse.

Baltimore has been in talks with Dobbins on a potential extension, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network (video link). Nothing is imminent at this point while the 24-year-old remains sidelined, but progress on negotiations could result in a deal being worked out. Dobbins is set to enter the final year of his rookie contract, one which has seen him miss considerable time due to injury.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2023/08/ravens-have-discussed-extension-with-rb-j-k-dobbins

I hope he realizes how generous the team is being, they could fine hime each day he misses since he is under contract. But they clearly are letting him sit on the pup list for now. Just don't break the bank, he is good, but has not proven to be one of the best.

Well it becomes who is cheaper, him or Gus? He was the right pick then, remember, Hill was still struggling, he was on the verge of being out of the league. Gus was still developing, was he a one year wonder? So it made sense to take Dobbins.

He is just caught up in this me too movement for runningbacks. No one could have thought he would listen to the leaves instead of just enjoying the breeze.

If Hill continues to run hard, not be tackled by the wind, then JK will be expendable. How much Gus wants, how long they feel he will be affective, will also determine what they do with JK.

My guess is they sign him to a team friendly deal and trade him at some point unless he stops listening to the noise.

An extension? It would have to be constructed in a way to protect the team. RBs are a pretty cheap commodity and he isn't going to be able to change that. I don't mind him staying here if the deal is really team, and cap, friendly. But he has pissed me off.

It's a work in progress, a good read

We’re not nearly where we need to be, and we shouldn’t be, because it’s early in camp,” Monken said Thursday.

A day later, Jackson’s frustration surfaced after an 11-on-11 period during which he was 0-for-4 on passing attempts and faced consistent pressure. Jackson overthrew an open Andrews streaking alone toward the end zone on the first play. He was sacked on the second play and again couldn’t connect with Andrews on the third. On the next two plays, he threw incomplete to Tarik Black and was forced to spike the ball when a free defender got in his face. That inspired him to punt the football down the middle of the field and shed his helmet.

https://theathletic.com/4750341/2023/08/04/ravens-training-camp-lamar-jackson-mark-andrews/

It's good that he's frustrated. He'll work harder to get it down. The two things that will make him a true star quarterback are the ability to hit on his deep throws and staying injury free. Funny, in his first full year he was good in getting the timing down on long throws but he's been wild the last two seasons.

Agree with both you guys.

Coordinators figured some stiff out about his game after that yr.  They tweaked what you do to limit him and he has not adapted.  In HS and college he didnt have to do read the D correctly all the time and he didnt have to make all the progressions.  If things went bad break and play streetball. That isnt working now and since he has never been trained to do that in the past he lost that skill.  I think it maybe to late to acquire it.