ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Offensive line play

yagersports

This was my biggest worry coming into the season. Can anyone give some detail on how the line played? I did not see the game.

I'm most concerned with how McKinnie played. He was deemed done by the Vikes, were they premature in their evaluation?

Secondly, how did Birk handle Hampton?

Last, did the center we picked up from Dallas play at all? It would seem that he's actually the better center than Birk being that he's fresh off a pro bowl birth.

Yager, the line was phenomenal. I don't know if it was because we had low expectations and were pleasantly surprised, but put this way; they said it would take 4-6 weeks to gel. I hate to see this line in 6 weeks if that's the case :)

Rice was running to the left all day. Never saw us run all over the Steelers like that. Flacco got sacked ONCE.

McKinnie looked great and ate up Harrison. Oher will be a Pro Bowl RT now. No false start penalities from him. I think we may of had 2 holding penalties.

Birk started and was solid. Surprisingly Gurode didn't play. What a wonderful back pocket option.

That's my 2 sense :)

Yager, the line was phenomenal. I don't know if it was because we had low expectations and were pleasantly surprised, but put this way; they said it would take 4-6 weeks to gel. I hate to see this line in 6 weeks if that's the case :)

Rice was running to the left all day. Never saw us run all over the Steelers like that. Flacco got sacked ONCE.

McKinnie looked great and ate up Harrison. Oher will be a Pro Bowl RT now. No false start penalities from him. I think we may of had 2 holding penalties.

Birk started and was solid. Surprisingly Gurode didn't play. What a wonderful back pocket option.

That's my 2 sense :)

This all is very very very good news!!!!!!

The line was very solid. You could say outstanding considering they played against the Steeler D because they dominated them.

Joe's jersey was totally clean...he had plenty of time to throw on most pass plays.

They were road grading fools against a team that is generally #1 or #2 against the run. The Ravens ran for 170 yards, the most by an opponent since the Ravens had 175 in Week 15 of the 2009 season. On Rice's short TD run Birk and Yanda blew open a hole...Hampton had a rough day against Birk.

Maybe age has caught up with the Steelers because an overweight and out of shape McKinnie dominated.

4e6d472e44bea.image.jpg

some quotes:

“A terrible loss,” said linebacker James Harrison, who was stonewalled by tackle Bryant McKinnie. “To get beat like a dog … ”

“We couldn’t stop anything,” linebacker James Farrior said.

“We had no answers,” said safety Ryan Clark

“The way they beat us is embarrassing,” nose tackle Casey Hampton admitted. “Since I’ve been here, nobody has beaten us like that on both sides of the ball for the entire game.”

“It’s incredibly humbling,” Troy Polamalu explained. “Which, obviously, we needed at this point.”

“We got our tails whipped,” wide receiver Hines Ward said.

I want this team to realize that quotes like that, from men with that sort of talent, means they are going to comeback with a vengeance. We need to be prepared, and we need to understand that men like that have pride and they'll be ready for a fight.

No overconfidence. Preparedness. Believe in ourselves, but don't be foolish. The job is not finished until Ray touches that Lombardi Trophy!

The offensive line was the key to this victory. Joe had all day to pass on basically every dropback. The only sack came late and it was a coverage sack if I've ever seen one. People were worried about our offensive line early on, but we went out and made some big moves. Pro Bowl players don't just forget how to play, and we saw that with McKinnie. He got snubbed on the one Harrison penalty and was much better in the run game than I had expected (he's known as a pass-blocker). We WILL have multiple pro-bowlers from our offensive line this year, no doubt about it, and with Gurode now on the bench, we have the depth the make it through the 16 game grind.

IN OZZIE WE TRUST.

The offensive line was the key to this victory. Joe had all day to pass on basically every dropback. The only sack came late and it was a coverage sack if I've ever seen one. People were worried about our offensive line early on, but we went out and made some big moves. Pro Bowl players don't just forget how to play, and we saw that with McKinnie. He got snubbed on the one Harrison penalty and was much better in the run game than I had expected (he's known as a pass-blocker). We WILL have multiple pro-bowlers from our offensive line this year, no doubt about it, and with Gurode now on the bench, we have the depth the make it through the 16 game grind.

IN OZZIE WE TRUST.

Was that not the best take down you ever seen? :thumbup:

Pro Bowl players don't just forget how to play, and we saw that with McKinnie. He got snubbed on the one Harrison penalty and was much better in the run game than I had expected (he's known as a pass-blocker).

I think you have it backwards. Everything I read from Vikings fans after we signed him was that he was a tremendous Run Blocker but a below average pass blocker. Makes sense when you think about what they did up there with AP. I was pleasantly surprised by his pass blocking in the game. I saw two instances where Harrison beat him and he had to hold. One was called, the other wasn't, but besides that he was great. In run blocking he was phenomenal.

I am super impressed that Oher readjusted to the right side so fast. LaMarr Woodley was not heard from as a pass rusher AT ALL. That is remarkable.

Birk...you can say the same thing about Casey Hamtpon. I wouldn't have even known he was in the game if it wasn't for the picture Max posted.

Grubbs, Yanda..the whole crew. I 'm really really really impressed with the Oline.

I think you have it backwards. Everything I read from Vikings fans after we signed him was that he was a tremendous Run Blocker but a below average pass blocker. Makes sense when you think about what they did up there with AP. I was pleasantly surprised by his pass blocking in the game. I saw two instances where Harrison beat him and he had to hold. One was called, the other wasn't, but besides that he was great. In run blocking he was phenomenal.

I am super impressed that Oher readjusted to the right side so fast. LaMarr Woodley was not heard from as a pass rusher AT ALL. That is remarkable.

Birk...you can say the same thing about Casey Hamtpon. I wouldn't have even known he was in the game if it wasn't for the picture Max posted.

Grubbs, Yanda..the whole crew. I 'm really really really impressed with the Oline.

My dad's been a lifelong Vike's fan and they're my 2nd favorite team as a result. The guy was known for pass-blocking. In fact, he didn't even give up a sack in his 2 years at the U. Either way, he played great.

My dad's been a lifelong Vike's fan and they're my 2nd favorite team as a result. The guy was known for pass-blocking. In fact, he didn't even give up a sack in his 2 years at the U. Either way, he played great.

I definitely got the sense from Vikes fans that it was the opposite, but according to this you're right. Hell if Mckinnie is a top 10 pass blocking lt I feel even better about the signing. I attributed him shutting down Harrison almost entirely to Harrison being slowed by back surgery, but it looks like he's just that good.

Btw, look at where Michael Oher is on that list. Good to have him back on the right side where he excels.

I definitely got the sense from Vikes fans that it was the opposite, but according to this you're right. Hell if Mckinnie is a top 10 pass blocking lt I feel even better about the signing. I attributed him shutting down Harrison almost entirely to Harrison being slowed by back surgery, but it looks like he's just that good.

Btw, look at where Michael Oher is on that list. Good to have him back on the right side where he excels.

Was trying to look up something like that to prove my point haha but couldn't find anything, good find. Can't trust Vikes fans as Favre back there last year loved to hold the ball forever, I'm impressed he was even that high up, and yes, agree on Oher, he's at his best on the Right where he can focus on the run blocking.