ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Nevermore

deeshopper

With other teams, we would be talking about the window the Ravens have to win a Super Bowl. I don't know what their window is. I don't think there is one. The Ravens squandered their best chance at a Super Bowl berth in over a decade. From the self-inflicted meltdowns of the last two seasons to inept play to beat themselves, they will not get this chance again for at least that long. Very sad. 

1960’s 14 teams 1970’s 26 teams. 1980’s 28 teams 2000’s 32 teams. A league with maybe 6 great QB’s scattered among 32 teams. Makes for some lousy QB play from the vast majority of teams. The NFL is so watered down it obviously makes for subpar football for the masses. This includes the Ravens. 

These kids are taught much earlier so guys make it who didnt in the past.  The league has a dozen guys who are capable of winning a ring if in the right situation.  The subpar play comes from the bad coaching that I see league wide.  

Lets jump back to the early 80s.  Noll with 4, Gibbs 3, Flores 2, Landry 2, Shula 2, Parcells 2, and Walsh 3 SB wins.  That is 7 coaches with multiple championships coaching at the same time.  Dont forget Reeves, Leavy, Grant, Phillips, and Coriel who were also very good but didnt get over that hill.  Notice I didnt even give Ditka a mention.  

Now look at 2023.  Reid, and Bellichick are the only multiple time winning coaches in the league.  There are so many 1 time winners The coaching pool in this league is crap.

• Upvote 1

Now that the dust has settled, sure, there are a lit of free agents, there is little cap room, this team, perhaps the most talented overall in franchise history, will not be the same next year.

But different does not be bad, we've seen growth at many positions, they can build it again.

Lamar has even shown growth, sure, he needs more work, but this year, he has shown that he is willing to keep working.

Roquan isn't going anywhere, he can help lead the defense.

Who knows what went wrong, why Lamar ignored the short game so often, contrary to what he did the week prior.

Which coaches leave is a key, Todd, Mike, both? I doubt it.

In this version of the NFL, while I stated yesterday the proverbial window is closed, now that I've had a day to think about, there is no window.

What happens next season is too hard to tell right now. But with two talented leaders on each side of the ball, and a great front office, the future is not dim, but bright

Well, they had the best record in the league, number 1 seed, made it to the AFC championship game, I would say they had leaders, you can't do all of that without leaders.

Did they lose their composure? Yes, KC got away with several dirty tricks but the refs always, almost, flag the ones who get revenge.

A little immature, Flowers, yes, but the talent is there.

Lost trying to do too much? Sure, it happens, a good lesson to learn from.

But yes, they have talent and leadership

51 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

Well, they had the best record in the league, number 1 seed, made it to the AFC championship game, I would say they had leaders, you can't do all of that without leaders.

Did they lose their composure? Yes, KC got away with several dirty tricks but the refs always, almost, flag the ones who get revenge.

A little immature, Flowers, yes, but the talent is there.

Lost trying to do too much? Sure, it happens, a good lesson to learn from.

But yes, they have talent and leadership

Hopefully, Flowers recovers from this. He was devastated about the fumble. But, if it hadn't been for him, we wouldn't have even scored our first touchdown. He is a great talent and he's ours. Yes, the taunting was immature, but I'll bet KC had been riding him the whole game and got inside his head. He'll learn from that.

The O-line needs some rebuilding, especially the tackles. Maybe through a combination of the draft and free agency.

The defense is going to be a shell of what it was next year due to all the players leaving and that is our biggest worry.

31 minutes ago, oldno82 said:

Hopefully, Flowers recovers from this. He was devastated about the fumble. But, if it hadn't been for him, we wouldn't have even scored our first touchdown. He is a great talent and he's ours. Yes, the taunting was immature, but I'll bet KC had been riding him the whole game and got inside his head. He'll learn from that.

The O-line needs some rebuilding, especially the tackles. Maybe through a combination of the draft and free agency.

The defense is going to be a shell of what it was next year due to all the players leaving and that is our biggest worry.

Im not sure the defense will be less, at least not that far less.

These players are smart, they know how close they came. They have several decisions to make, one of them is what they want for their career.

Do they just want to play, get paid, have fun, so sign a big deal with a team not likely to win a Super Bowl.

Or do they want the ring?

One game away, one stink'n game away for the Super Bowl, with this team, the Baltimore Ravens.

They can resign here and go after it again, or sign with Atlanta, fool them selves into thinking they can build a championship team there in 3 or 4 years.

Yes, VanNoy is likely gone, too old, but he did very well here.

Clowney likely has another good year or two in him and will be cheap.

Owe showed signs he might turn out to be decent and is still under his rookie deal.

So maybe another edge rusher if Bowser is really done.

Queen is likely gone, he earned a big pay day. But Simpson showed signs he could be better than Queen when playing along side of Roquan.

The secondary is set, good, young, fast corners and safeties still on the cheap.

So if Mike M stays, the defense should be fine, sure Madebeke is likely gone, he too earned a big pay day. But they found him, developed him, they can do it again.

The offense is set, save for a 3rd or 4th wide out, maybe a tackle, but remember, they have a great one on injured reserved who will be ready next year.

So things are not as bad as they appear

15 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

Im not sure the defense will be less, at least not that far less.

These players are smart, they know how close they came. They have several decisions to make, one of them is what they want for their career.

Do they just want to play, get paid, have fun, so sign a big deal with a team not likely to win a Super Bowl.

Or do they want the ring?

One game away, one stink'n game away for the Super Bowl, with this team, the Baltimore Ravens.

They can resign here and go after it again, or sign with Atlanta, fool them selves into thinking they can build a championship team there in 3 or 4 years.

Yes, VanNoy is likely gone, too old, but he did very well here.

Clowney likely has another good year or two in him and will be cheap.

Owe showed signs he might turn out to be decent and is still under his rookie deal.

So maybe another edge rusher if Bowser is really done.

Queen is likely gone, he earned a big pay day. But Simpson showed signs he could be better than Queen when playing along side of Roquan.

The secondary is set, good, young, fast corners and safeties still on the cheap.

So if Mike M stays, the defense should be fine, sure Madebeke is likely gone, he too earned a big pay day. But they found him, developed him, they can do it again.

The offense is set, save for a 3rd or 4th wide out, maybe a tackle, but remember, they have a great one on injured reserved who will be ready next year.

So things are not as bad as they appear

We dont develop guys like we used to.  Until I see us develop front 7 guys consistently again we cant.

2 hours ago, tsylvester said:

I just don't think that success will be replicated again. Of course, I'm a pessimist, so I will be happy if they do. But, the last two years have shown that they are their own worst enemy and the vast majority of the losses they've notched in the two seasons were on themselves more than anything. I don't know how they get better in that department.

2 minutes ago, deeshopper said:

I just don't think that success will be replicated again. Of course, I'm a pessimist, so I will be happy if they do. But, the last two years have shown that they are their own worst enemy and the vast majority of the losses they've notched in the two seasons were on themselves more than anything. I don't know how they get better in that department.

I hear ya, but something seems different about this group. We shall see 😃

All you need it one on the front line, surrounded by good. Pierce and Jones are right there to being top guys. Washington isn't too shabby either.

So replace Madebeke with a draft guy and develop him to compliment the other 3.

As I said, they did it before, there is no reason to think that they can't do it again

Yeah he is the perfect example; it took until his 5th year for him to develop. It doesn't happen over night unless you land a top talent in the draft by drafting high because you stunk or trade away your future to get one.

These guys don't grow on trees, as you know. 😀

17 hours ago, tsylvester said:

I hear ya, but something seems different about this group. We shall see 😃

That's just it. We have seen. They blow the games they should definitely win by getting in the way of their own success. The evidence is from the last two years.

3 hours ago, tsylvester said:

Yeah he is the perfect example; it took until his 5th year for him to develop. It doesn't happen over night unless you land a top talent in the draft by drafting high because you stunk or trade away your future to get one.

These guys don't grow on trees, as you know. 😀

I look at the days of AD, Bart Scott, Brandon Williams, Hatrwell and many others.  They stood up early and we got yrs of service out of them.

4 hours ago, deeshopper said:

That's just it. We have seen. They blow the games they should definitely win by getting in the way of their own success. The evidence is from the last two years.

Yes, but im an optimist, they have to eventually learn from their mistakes, right? Every team does this, well, every good team, the bad ones never have winning seasons, never reach the playoffs, let alone the AFC Championship game.

We have a qb, a good one, yes, with flaws. No, no predominantly running qb has ever won a Super Bowl.

But, this team wins, because of a great owner, front office, good coaching.

1 hour ago, papasmurfbell said:

I look at the days of AD, Bart Scott, Brandon Williams, Hatrwell and many others.  They stood up early and we got yrs of service out of them.

Hartwell was an average linebacker, Scott a product of Lewis. AD was too. Williams took a year or two.

I agree, the edge rushers have not been developed since well, Judon, who was over priced and did not like the way the Ravens were using him.

That position has been an albatross for this front office, this coaching staff, but not the defensive tackles so much

35 minutes ago, tsylvester said:

Yes, but im an optimist, they have to eventually learn from their mistakes, right? Every team does this, well, every good team, the bad ones never have winning seasons, never reach the playoffs, let alone the AFC Championship game.

We have a qb, a good one, yes, with flaws. No, no predominantly running qb has ever won a Super Bowl.

But, this team wins, because of a great owner, front office, good coaching.

When has this coach learned from his mistakes?