ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

I'm Concerned...Really

oldno82

Is it just me or are you all feeling that our offensive line situation is scarily poor? No Grubbs, McKinnie getting older, ditto for Birk, and no replacements in free agency.

We can't win with a line that doesn't have a good LG. Joe will get killed.

The only spot I'm concerned about is Center. While Jah Reid can't be viewed as any sort of upgrade over Grubbs I am intrigued by what he could offer at that spot. If Mckinnie shows up in shape with a good offseason with the Miami boys he could actually be better than last season.

However, Birk scares me. He has shown signs of really slowing down as the season progresses not just last season but the season before as well and it's not like his knees are going to get much better at his age. It is very important to get a Center in this draft who can learn quickly from Birk and be ready to start in a pinch. We also need to hit on a guard on the 3rd day of the draft. Someone who doesn't need to play this season but can definitely push Reid and to a lesser extent Yanda for playing time and be ready to start the following season. Fingers crossed we find the next Yanda some time from the 4th round onwards.

Mckinnie doesn't scare me one bit... for coming off the street and playing.. he played great. only the colts game can you say he had a bad game. it's way to early to be concerned. they rebuilt the O-line in traning came last year and they were good enough to get us to the championship game. Why stress in march?

I'm concerned.

Harbaugh's concerned: “We have to upgrade it. I don’t even know if we have a full complement of linemen to be on our 53-man roster right now,” Harbaugh told reporters Tuesday at the NFL owners’ meetings in Florida. “We don’t have our five starters set. We have guys where you say, ‘Can they play a position or not?’”

“The thing I’ve learned over the years in Philadelphia and everywhere else, it starts with the offensive line on offense,” Harbaugh said. “The quarterback is obviously critically important but if you don’t have an offensive line, you can forget about it. We have to be able to build an offensive line.”

Now...Ozzie just has to pull off another miracle. Think back to last season. Foxworth goes down, Carr goes down. Jimmy Smith goes down. But wait! Webb and Williams did great getting the job done.

They lost Mason and Heap....but then Smith, Dickson and Pita rise to the occasion.

This is how the Ravens stay competetive. Solid drafting, developing 2nd and 3rd year players and signing free agents selectively to fill the holes.

ravens-rams1pg-vertical.jpg

I don't know if they need someone to push Yanda for playing time. What they do need however is depth on the offense so the entire offense doesn't completely melt down as soon as one of the starters is either out or injured.

I think it was papasmurfbell who eluded to it in another thread, but when it comes to depth on the offensive side of the ball the FO (or maybe the coaching?) is at or at least near the level of complete incompetence.

All I ask for are some competent backups that can replace injured starters for a game or two without the offensive production falling off a cliff.

Otherwise, you are asking for a season where all your offensive starters go through the entire season uninjured which just strikes me as idiotic in a physical sport like football....

I don't know if they need someone to push Yanda for playing time. What they do need however is depth on the offense so the entire offense doesn't completely melt down as soon as one of the starters is either out or injured.

I think it was papasmurfbell who eluded to it in another thread, but when it comes to depth on the offensive side of the ball the FO (or maybe the coaching?) is at or at least near the level of complete incompetence.

All I ask for are some competent backups that can replace injured starters for a game or two without the offensive production falling off a cliff.

Otherwise, you are asking for a season where all your offensive starters go through the entire season uninjured which just strikes me as idiotic in a physical sport like football....

There's no sense in searching out depth if you haven't yet acquired quality starters.

Konz would be great if he's available but the Packers are looking for a Center too and they draft before us.

They have to get contracts for Joe and Ray Rice that are cap friendly if they're even going to think about Free Agent lineman.

The draft is indeed their best hope. They definitely need to find one or two gold nuggets there.

I think they would be better off going say LT or a very special OG in the 1st. Very good OC can be had later.

Papa, I would agree but I don't think there's any 1st round talent left at spot 29 to get either. See my note above about trading back.

I am not sure they need that many more picks. There are what, like 40 something players under contract now and 8 draft picks.

Now if they could trade a veteran or two they don't need for a first rounder like it seems NE does all the time, I would agree, but otherwise I think they are pretty set.

I think C is huge. I have about zero faith in Birk. His time has long past. They need his replacement but that can be done in the 3-4th rounds. I love Adams and would take him at the end of the 1st but there are other LT's that after a season can be plugged in later. Don't get into next yr with LT being a need. They never should have gotten into this yr with C being a need. For 2 seasons I have been saying C should be addressed in the draft. This is what happens when you don't forcast out your needs.