ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft Day Thread

vmax

A backup NT would not hurt as well.

Josh Chapman perhaps?

I like Chapman A LOT. IMO, he's a more athletic Kelly Gregg (said he ran a sub 5.0 40 before his knee injury). Very similar playing style. Shorter, stocky NT that plays with leverage, strong as an ox. The guy is tough as nails too. Played with a torn ACL toward the end of his senior year. He could have gotten the surgery earlier to be ready for the NFL draft, but he knew his team was going to be playing for a national championship so he toughed it out.. I am not sure how healthy he is, but Ozzie loves his Alabama guys.

Strengths: Smart, assignment sound blocker with good awareness, keeping his head on a swivel. Professional makeup and coachable with the desire to be the best and doesn't cheat his ability. Tough and gritty, playing with a chip on his shoulder. Versatile with playing experience at all three interior line spots. Heady with high football IQ and very good bloodlines. Prides himself on fundamentals and plays to his strengths, understanding what he's best at and where he needs to improve. Tough-minded with natural leadership qualities. Works hard to hone his craft and plays with a competitive drive and blue collar mentality. Weaknesses: Only average size and length. Lacks overpowering strength to dominate defenders on brute power alone. Has stiff hips and lacks

the fluidity or ankle flexion to quickly redirect his momentum. Not a natural knee bender and needs to be more consistent dropping his hips and anchoring at the point of attack. Tends to get grabby and rely on his upper body strength when beat, latching on and stopping his feet. Played at a lower level of competition and didn't face top defensive linemen week-in and week-out.

Gradkowski grew up in Pittsburgh and originally enrolled at West Virginia, where cousin Carmen Connolly was a wide receiver. But it wasn't until Gradkowski transferred to Delaware that he emerged as an NFL prospect. He was a two-year starter at Delaware, and was named to the 2011 AFCA FCS All-America team as a senior, voted on by the coaches. "Gino had a phenomenal year, possibly the best for an offensive lineman that I've seen in my 10 years here at Delaware," said Hens coach Keeler. "The leadership that he provides to our team in the weight room and the locker room, not to mention his play on the field, makes him very deserving of being a first team All-American." Gradkowski's versatility is what

helped him line up several pre-draft visits with NFL teams. Primarily a guard for Delaware, he also saw time at center, which ultimately could be his primary position in the pros. "I definitely take pride in being athletic," Gradkowski said. "I played basketball in high school. That's where I got my athleticism from. I'm good in space at blocking the secondary guys. I take a lot of pride in my ability to understand offenses and defenses. Mentally-wise, I bring a lot to the table." "It's good that I played all three inside positions at Delaware. My versatility, bouncing around the inside, obviously helps. Anybody that goes to the NFL wants to be a starter. That's my goal. If I need to be that swing man as a backup my first year, that's fine. I want to compete for a starting job." Gradkowski, the younger brother of Bengals quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, said he tries to emulate veteran NFL centers like Ravens six-time Pro Bowl center Matt Birk and Green Bay Packers center Jeff Saturday. "Hopefully, I wind up on a team with a veteran guy," Gino Gradkowski said. "Baltimore would be a great situation for me. To learn behind Matt Birk would be awesome and be able to pick his brain."

Guys, I'm not impressed with our draft so far. We picked up an excellent OLB but we need help so badly on the offensive line side it hurts. I'm not sure Osemele is the answer after so many lineman went ahead of him. And why we picked a running back with the 3rd pick is a mystery to me.

The Steelers have really developed their offensive line with this draft. I wish we had taken their picks.

We definitely should have moved up in the second round to obtain a better lineman.

Just my 2 cents, here.

I'm happy so far we picked up two o lineman. I feel better we didn't go after KONZ he has injury issues. We picked up Gron's brother he might be a sleeper. Lot of star players come from small schools.

Plus I cant doubt Oz anymore. Hes too good at what he does.

I'm happy so far we picked up two o lineman. I feel better we didn't go after KONZ he has injury issues. We picked up Gron's brother he might be a sleeper. Lot of star players come from small schools.

Plus I cant doubt Oz anymore. Hes too good at what he does.

I can't argue with you about Oz. He's been too successful in the past to stress me out too much. I'm just mystified with the RB pick. Gradkowski graded out pretty low from the NFL.com website. KO might work out as LG but we still have a ton of unknowns on the OL. As I said, the Steelers had a really good first two rounds.

Christian Thompson, FS South Carolina State.

Nice, that's the guy Ed Reed was mentoring.

Good enough for me. He has good size....that's about all I know on this guy...:)

An outstanding athlete who didn't play in front of many sets of eyes at South Carolina State, Thompson could be exactly what NFL GMs are looking for in their secondaries. He's well-built and physical, which should allow him to defend some bigger receivers and tight ends over the middle of the field. He can also move, as evidenced by his 4.50-second 40-yard dash time at the NFL combine. He can turn and move with receivers successfully, and he's a hard hitter. Thompson also isn't afraid to step up and contribute in the running game, where he takes good angles to the football. One problem could be his struggle to consistently locate the football - something that's less of an issue for a safety than a corner, but a potential concern nonetheless. He's best in man coverage and may struggle with zone principles if that's what his new team runs more often. Like many small-school prospects, the unknown could scare off some GMs, and Thompson is definitely raw in many areas and has poor hands. Still, his frame and potential should be attractive to a lot of teams, and that's what could make Thompson a fourth- or fifth-round pick.

Overview

Thompson is an intriguing big safety from little-known South Carolina State. He is very athletic and dominated in stretches throughout college. He struggles to make plays on the ball in coverage and doesn't always react well in zone, but he is a very athletic mover capable of covering tight ends at the next level. He is a bit of an unknown but could continue to rise throughout the pre-draft process, and his value could be understated at this time given the emergence of athletic tight ends in the NFL in 2011.

Analysis

Strengths

Thompson is a big-time athlete who can match up with the NFL's biggest and fastest offensive players. He excels in man coverage, where he uses his quick-twitched feet and smooth hips to cover. He is good in off-man coverage, where he can sit and wait on a move before reacting and then blanketing. He understands the game and assists in run support, although he is a better tackler against the pass than he is straight up against the run. He would fit in right away on an NFL defense.

Weaknesses

Thompson is raw and hasn't played against top talent in college. He struggles at times in zone and can look out of sorts. He is unreliable when given the opportunity to catch the ball, although he is around it often. He doesn't have speed that translates to the field when he is in pursuit; he will need to rely on his footwork more than he does at the current time so that he doesn't get out of position and have to chase at the next level.

Edited by vmax

While we're on break, let's hear from the latest Ravens draft picks....

201202271600576565342-p2.jpeg

"I'm a tough, physical player. I feel like I'm relentless. I get after the ball. I'm a playmaker.”

2532922.jpg

“I played a lot of guard at the Senior Bowl and I dominated. So regardless of where I am [guard or tackle], I’ll be physical like I always am.”

2533545.jpg

“I'm a big back. I'm not going to go down easy. I'm going to fight for every yard.”

73925.jpg

"I’m elated right now because Baltimore plays football the way it’s supposed to be played. Don't piss me off...I'll break your fucking skull."