ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Draft Day Thread

vmax

With the 169th-overall pick, Baltimore drafted Cal Poly CB Asa Jackson.

The Ravens have found a dynamic returner.

28_Jackson_news.jpg

Baltimore selected cornerback Asa “Ace” Jackson out of Cal Poly with the 169th pick in the fifth round Saturday afternoon.

The Ravens went to asmall school once again to find a top-notch athlete.

Jackson is a smooth, sudden athlete who has major speed. He ran a 4.44-second, 40-yard dash at Hawaii’s scouting event.

Immediately after the pick was announced, ESPN analyst Mel Kiper said Jackson’s “dazzling in the open field.”

Jackson averaged 14.06 yards per punt return, the third-best among active college players in the FCS. He is just the second player in Cal Poly history to get an invitation to the Senior Bowl, and in many ways carried his team lastseason.

Jackson can also contribute as a kick returner.

Baltimore’s main punt returner last year was cornerback Lardarius Webb, but Head Coach John Harbaugh has said he would prefer to take him off main return duties considering he’s the team’s top cornerback.

The Ravens’ kick returner, wide receiver David Reed, is coming off a season-ending knee injury. His replacement, Tom Zbikowski, departed via free agency.

The 5-foot-10, 193-pound Jackson can also provide more depth in the secondary. He is a four-time first team All Great West Conference cornerback. A four-year starter, he never allowed a touchdown reception in man coverage while lining up at “boundary” cornerback.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2012/04/28/round-5-ravens-select-cb-jackson/

Streeter chose to forgo his senior season at Miami after a breakthrough year in which he made 46 receptions for 811 yards and eight TDs. In his first two seasons for the Hurricanes, he had six combined catches, but his opportunities ultimately caught up to his immense physical skills. Armed with prototypical size and speed for an NFL wideout - he measured 6-foot-5, 219 pounds while running a 4.40-second 40 at the combine - Streeter flourished in 2011, living up to the hype that accompanied him when he came to Coral Gables as part of the nation's top-ranked recruiting class three years earlier. His raw tools and big-play ability - a 17.6-yard average per catch was tops in the ACC and seventh-best in the country for a player with at least 45 receptions - is a big draw to scouts, but it's tempered by a relatively small body of work. While possessing good straight-ahead speed, he is not a burner and does not possess high-end quickness out of his breaks. He has been able to get by on natural size, skill and ability, but would be considered an unpolished route runner at the next level. That said, Streeter is filled with upside, and teams in need of receiving depth could do worse than gambling somewhere in the mid-rounds on a star player from an established program which consistently churns out successful pros.

The Ravens filled perhaps their final need with their last pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

26_Tyson_news.jpg

Baltimore selected defensive lineman DeAngelo Tyson out of Georgia with the 236th -overall pick in the seventh round.

He can step into a defensive line mix that lost defensive tackle Brandon McKinney and defensive end Cory Redding to free agency in the offseason.

The 6-foot-2, 315 pound senior is an interior run-stuffer.

“The [defensive line] is another area where you can’t have too many players,” Newsome said.

He has the size to play in both the three and five technique. He sheds blocks well and is strong against offensive linemen.

Tyson is a high-effort player who is also good in the open field, which means he could be a strong special teams player.

Tyson was selected to play in the East-West Shrine Game and was honored with one of Georgia’s Coaches Leadership Awards. He started all 11 games in which he appeared, making 20 tackles with 3.5 for loss and 11 quarterback pressures.

02/22/2012 - TOP 10 BEST BETS TO PUT ON COMBINE FREAK SHOW: Tommy Streeter, Miami, WR: After a few years of teasing Canes staff with his potential, the 6-5, 216-pound junior had a breakout season in 2011. Streeter opted to leave early after his one big year, and with his size and exceptional speed, he has the chance to shoot up draft board this week. Scouts don't expect to see a guy his height so fast, but remember he's been one of the fastest men in a very fast program from the day he arrived in Coral Gables. (Two other UM speeders, Lamar Miller and Travis Benjamin also could've made this list.) Those close to the<p id="expandoContent">UM program are expecting some big things this week from Streeter, who has a chance to shock scouts with just how fast he actually is. Last year's fastest man in Indy, DeMarcus VanDyke, a former Cane CB who got drafted by the Raiders after he blazed the fastest 40-time at the Combine, told me a few weeks back that Streeter could duplicate his showing this year. - Bruce Feldman, CBSSports.com

Close minus.png

Overview

Out of high school, Streeter was also offered scholarships by Oregon and South Carolina but chose to stay close to home. Still, Streeter did not see consistent playing time until this season and turned in solid production with 46 receptions for 811 yards. He may fit in that "one year wonder" category but Streeter is a big body with obvious natural talent. Streeter is quite raw and is currently winning off natural ability. He usually wins contested catches and has deceptive downfield speed during his routes and after the catch. However, Streeter has been quite limited in creating separation and the routes that he succeeds with. He may not look like the typical slot receiver, but that is where Streeter

is most successful. When facing off coverage or after moving in motion, Streeter can certainly win down the seam or in soft zones on intermediate routes. He is an instant red-zone target that can begin his career as an NFL team's fourth wide receiver and developmental project.

Close minus.png

Analysis

Strengths: Streeter has great length which he uses to catch in traffic. He can high point the ball over defenders or reach where they cannot get to. He can break routes back quickly and flows well on crossing routes. Streeter shines on vertical routes, eating up cushion with long strides and getting downfield before DBs can turn their hips. His two best routes are down the seam and endzone fades, where Streeter can out jump defenders. His vertical is impressive and Streeter seems most comfortable plucking catches after leaving his feet. He has a great combination of size, athleticism and body control. In traffic, Streeter focuses more on making the catch than worrying about the hit he might take. Street

flashes surprising shiftiness off the line and after the catch. His length helps when blocking on the edge as well. Weaknesses: Streeter can have trouble getting off the line, choosing not to use his length but instead absorbing contact or trying to run around it. His route tree is very limited, focusing on vertical routes or sitting in soft sections in the middle of the field. He lacks the foot quickness to create separation with explosion and could be more physical with his frame. For a receiver with a nice vertical that likes to leave his feet, Streeter catches quite a few passes with his body. He has yet to get the maximum potential out of his natural athletic ability, slowing down on crossing or outside routes rather than running full speed at all times. Streeter is still very raw with his routes, failing to get low when cutting and instead gliding to the catch point. Streeter only has one real season of production. NFL Comparison: Drew Carter, Raiders

Then go to the steelers board and talk about it.

hey i was just letting yinz know we had a great draft actually got an A from mayock. what are you nervous now that our oline is set for the next ten years and the only position we dont have a true back up to fill their spot is at Ss no more steelers are old and done talk not that we ever were. Also I'm not the best reader but I'm pretty sure the topic is draft day thread not ravens only draft day thread

hey i was just letting yinz know we had a great draft actually got an A from mayock. what are you nervous now that our oline is set for the next ten years and the only position we dont have a true back up to fill their spot is at Ss no more steelers are old and done talk not that we ever were. Also I'm not the best reader but I'm pretty sure the topic is draft day thread not ravens only draft day thread

Yes...you had a good draft. It's too late. Rtyhlssxbrrgrrr is aready a cripple and the Ravens secondary can handle anything thrown at them.

Work just a little bit more on the reading comprehension skills...this is the Ravens board and you are hijacking this thread. Post your Steelers stuff in the ER Steeler forum.

309866560-13102218.jpg

The hunt goes on....signing UFA's...

Cyhl Quarles, a safety from Wake Forest, said Saturday night on Twitter that he had agreed to sign with the Ravens.

The Ravens also signed Florida quarterback John Brantley and wide receiver Deonte Thompson, according to a report in the Gainesville (Fla.) Sun.

“There are still a lot of good players out there,” DeCosta said. “The hunt goes on.”

The Ravens will convene a rookie minicamp in two weeks, Newsome said.

Extra points

Safety Christian Thompson, whom the Ravens selected with the 130th pick out of South Carolina State, sought advice from Reed before the draft and was told to "stay hungry, stay humble and save your money," according to reports out of South Carolina. … Upshaw said he looks forward to trying to tackle former Alabama teammate Trent Richardson, whom the Cleveland Browns selected with the third overall pick. "It's going to be a little rivalry of its own," Upshaw said. "He tried to run me over a couple of times in practice, so I got a little vengeance out for it." … Running back Bernard Pierce, the Ravens' third round pick (No. 84), brushed aside any suggestion that his durability should be a concern. The Temple product admitted to struggling with hamstring issues and a separated shoulder but said he has felt fine since the beginning of last season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-notes-0429-20120428,0,6627101.story?page=2

ox281254801498358295.jpg

So by me saying I liked the steelers draft is hijaking the thread. You are starting to sound like your coach whining about the music played at heinz field. Also I posted steelers stuff in the first couple of pages nobody whined like a litte girl and actually talked about but whatever

I think max was being sarcastic with his first post... :yeah:

Yes...you had a good draft. It's too late. Rtyhlssxbrrgrrr is aready a cripple and the Ravens secondary can handle anything thrown at them.

Work just a little bit more on the reading comprehension skills...this is the Ravens board and you are hijacking this thread. Post your Steelers stuff in the ER Steeler forum.

309866560-13102218.jpg

Thanks #1 Max for telling this goof where to post.

I would like to give a shout out to Papa as well. Although I don't agree with him on a lot of his points, his good work in the NFL Draft forum allowed me to go there to get a lot of info on some of our picks with links to highlights and various sites projected draft rounds.

Very nice work Papa :yeah:

• Upvote 1

Hell yeah, i rarely post but believe i read

Every thread everyday on here. I think ozzie held it down again. Getting upshaw was a great move, finally we have a legit pass rusher opposite suggs.

We can dump kindle aka dan cody V2.0. Let kruger and upshaw battle in camp. Love streeter if he can develop and not be another yamon figurs. I like asa as a return man being we never have a legit return man. Our ST sucked last few years. The only thing i think we missed out on was moving up a few spots to get konz

In the second rd. He could have slid right in birks spot and been an immediate upgrade. After the texans and pats game it was clear he is done. Evans and cundiff aside, birk is the reason we didnt make the superbowl.

Well when u rape a million picks out of oakland for a has-been qb who doesnt even want to play for u it makes the draft a little easier! And in the browns case sucking for so long gets u in the top five its not tough either. I keep hearing everyone say on 1057 how much better these other teams got but they dont understand basic math. Its easy to get 25% better when ur only a 50-60% complete team than it is to get 10% better when ur already an 85% complete team. We r still the class of the division and i think drafting at 29 out of 32 we did great. Upshaw alone made us better