ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Agent: Brown or Scott could re-sign with Ravens before start of free agency

REEDPIXOFF

The agent for center Jason Brown and linebacker Bart Scott is optimistic that one will re-sign with the Ravens before free agency begins Friday.

Brown was instrumental in developing a young offensive line last season. Scott was the Ravens' second-leading tackler.

"My gut feeling is one of the two is going to hit free agency and the other one will probably sign," said Harold Lewis, who represents both Brown and Scott. "That's just my gut."

Lewis did not rule out Brown or Scott re-signing with the Ravens if they did hit free agency.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,6532038.story

Let's hope for both :)

This sounds good...promising. Usually agents have more threatening news.

If Brown signs then everything should fall into place. Brown is the guy I don't want to see hit the market.

I'll save the celebration pictures until it happens.

Keep both and send Ray and Suggs away.

Uh, Suggs isn't going anywhere. He's already a Raven for 2009, as long as he signs his tender.

I'm over Brown. He's not worth the money that he will certainly command, as far as our team and needs are concerned. I also have a feeling that the team has had it with Ray; Scott may very well be a Raven.

Uh, Suggs isn't going anywhere. He's already a Raven for 2009, as long as he signs his tender.

I'm over Brown. He's not worth the money that he will certainly command, as far as our team and needs are concerned. I also have a feeling that the team has had it with Ray; Scott may very well be a Raven.

I fully believe that Brown is worth guard money. He is only 25-years old, is the leader of our line, and has played at a Pro-Bowl level the past two seasons. Also taking into account that last season was his first season at center in the NFL, and the guy's best football is certainly ahead of him. Chester was a solid fill-in at guard last season, but we saw how bad he can be at center. I am not willing to take that risk of making Chester the leader on this line. Let Chester and Yanda compete for the starting left guard spot. It will make them both better and give us solid interior depth.

As for Suggs, I am not sure why everyone is so quick to trade him. Unless we are blown away with a Jared Allen-type deal (a first and two thirds), I would absolutely not trade him. He is a solid all-around player, and is an emerging leader on our defense. Pay the guy!

I am still weary of the whole Ray Lewis situation. Is the whole thing with Ray leaving all smoke? I doubt Ray wants to leave. And if it came down to a couple million, I doubt Ray would leave as well. I tend to agree with max in that the market for Ray will not be as big as many think. If so, Ray will be back. If Ray does leave for the bigger deal, I am just fine with retaining Bart Scott.

I didn't say that he wasn't worth that kind of money. Certainly, he is. However, I meant it contextually in regard to his value on our team.

Simply put, I don't think we can afford to pay him nearly that kind of money, and don't think it's worth even attempting. Sure, the depth behind him is poor, but that's what the draft, free agency, etc. is for.

Besides, we had Mike Flynn as our center for years! :D

Given his preference, center Jason Brown would like nothing more than to continue playing football for the Baltimore Ravens.

Given the potential money Brown might command as an unrestricted free agent in a market where several teams are looking for an interior player capable of playing both center and guard, it seems like a long shot, barring a sudden change, that Brown will return.

Brown said he's intent on doing everything possible to remain with the Ravens. However, his potential earning power may not match up with the Ravens' financial plans.

"I would love to stay with the Ravens," Brown said in a telephone interview from his North Carolina home. "I would like to feel as though my stock is pretty high on the team. There are other options out there. I'm not going to be afraid to say that, but I would love to stay with the Ravens. At the same time, I do have a family I love very much as well and my first responsibility as a father and as a husband is loyalty to my family.

http://www.profootball24x7.com/column_view...mp;view=archive

"As far as a preference, center is what I'm most comfortable with now. If I had to go back to guard, it would take me a little while to knock the rust off. I feel like I'm a true center-guard."

Interesting. Why don't we meet somewhere in the middle than, less than a guard makes but more than a center, much like we did with Suggs.

That Mike Flynn contract handicapped us with an average center for years. We had a good center in Casey Rabach, but we could not re-sign him because we had signed Flynn long-term the year before. We know we have a great center in Brown, lets just get it down and not have to worry about the center position for the next five years.

I get the feeling that Bart is the guy the agent is refering to as far as possibly signing before the deadline.

The Ravens can't afford to lose both Bart and Ray to Free Agency.....which is a possibility if both hit the market....so lock up one of them.

I definately want Brown to stay. I like REEDPIXOFF's suggestion to pay Brown as a tweener (guard/center) like they did with Suggs. That's very fair IMO.

Somewhere, having a great team, stadium, facility (The Castle), fans, ownership and franchise has to come into the equation if the money is close.

I fully believe that Brown is worth guard money. He is only 25-years old, is the leader of our line, and has played at a Pro-Bowl level the past two seasons. Also taking into account that last season was his first season at center in the NFL, and the guy's best football is certainly ahead of him. Chester was a solid fill-in at guard last season, but we saw how bad he can be at center. I am not willing to take that risk of making Chester the leader on this line. Let Chester and Yanda compete for the starting left guard spot. It will make them both better and give us solid interior depth.

As for Suggs, I am not sure why everyone is so quick to trade him. Unless we are blown away with a Jared Allen-type deal (a first and two thirds), I would absolutely not trade him. He is a solid all-around player, and is an emerging leader on our defense. Pay the guy!

I am still weary of the whole Ray Lewis situation. Is the whole thing with Ray leaving all smoke? I doubt Ray wants to leave. And if it came down to a couple million, I doubt Ray would leave as well. I tend to agree with max in that the market for Ray will not be as big as many think. If so, Ray will be back. If Ray does leave for the bigger deal, I am just fine with retaining Bart Scott.

Did we? Rigth he is not that big and that could be the problem. In 2006 he was a positive input, in 2007 not, and then reliable in 2008.

As I recall he had only one full match as C. In 2007 a 20-3 win vs Rams.. Hardly that match you are thinking about. In that match with him and JB and 3 rookies, however my focus was not on him but the rookies mainly Gaither. Do you recall that match? What more do we really know... as for him being C.?

Did we? Rigth he is not that big and that could be the problem. In 2006 he was a positive input, in 2007 not, and then reliable in 2008.

As I recall he had only one full match as C. In 2007 a 20-3 win vs Rams.. Hardly that match you are thinking about. In that match with him and JB and 3 rookies, however my focus was not on him but the rookies mainly Gaither. Do you recall that match? What more do we really know... as for him being C.?

I am basing my argument on the fact that Chester has had horrible training camps at center the past three seasons and was given every opportunity to beat out Mike Flynn but could not. Chester also looked bad in preseason action as well. Chester played solid at guard this season, but do you think he is ready to make all the calls along the line? I don't. Chester does not possess the strength that Jay Brown possesses. He will have a very difficult time with those 3-4 nose tackles.

Browns agent has a point...

"Whether he plays center for the Ravens or guard for another team in the NFL, he's an offensive lineman and he's going to be paid as an offensive lineman. I don't think he has to be categorized.

When you have that versatility, you should get rewarded for it, and not which is the lower of the two."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,5134849.story

After reading that article, I am not optimistic about Brown returning to the Ravens. There will be teams offering him high guard money.

If he wants to be paid as an offensive lineman, that's fine. He has no right, though, to demand guard money, if he doesn't want to be categorized by one position; otherwise, he'd be categorized as a guard.

The idea of paying him the average of guard/center, then, is a fine idea, but the agent obviously wants more than that. It's a nice attempt by the agent to gouge the team (or whatever team) for more money, but there's very little logic involved.

I am basing my argument on the fact that Chester has had horrible training camps at center the past three seasons and was given every opportunity to beat out Mike Flynn but could not. Chester also looked bad in preseason action as well. Chester played solid at guard this season, but do you think he is ready to make all the calls along the line? I don't. Chester does not possess the strength that Jay Brown possesses. He will have a very difficult time with those 3-4 nose tackles.

I respect your opinion, and yes you are much closer to Owing Mills than me, just a little disappointet that you are not giving him higher value from TCs. And you are rigth about the strength compared to JB. Making calls.. all we really know is that he should be more ready than most beginners at that position. And then there are Matsko and Cam, what do they want from a center, lots of power? Then we better resign JB.