ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

WR Aaron Mellette

papasmurfbell

OVERVIEW

Just about every year, a wide receiver from outside the FBS is drafted in the top 100 selections. The Rams pulled the trigger on Appalachian State’s tall, lean Brian Quick with the first pick of the second round (33rd overall) of the 2012 draft. It was the sixth time in the past eight drafts a “small school” receiver heard his name called in the first 100 picks, including notables Vincent Jackson (drafted by San Diego in 2005 out of Northern Colorado), Laurent Robinson (Atlanta, 2007, Southern Illinois), and Jerome Simpson (Cincinnati, 2008, Coastal Carolina).

There is a chance Mellette claims that title in 2013, although specific performances during his senior year could make evaluators hesitate, namely against UNC in the opener. In 2012, he started all 11 games and caught 97 passes for 1,398 yards and 18 touchdowns. Mellette led the Football Championship Subdivision in receptions (113) and receiving yards (1,639) while scoring 12 times and earning first-team All-Southern Conference honors as a junior in 2011. Even Vanderbilt (11 catches, 180 yards, TD) and Quick’s ASU squad (14-236, TD) weren’t immune to Mallette’s talent. The Phoenix will continue to throw the ball with impunity throughout 2012 (they’ve averaged 39 pass attempts a game over the last three years) behind senior quarterback Thomas Wilson, so look for Mallette’s strong hands to see a lot of action again this fall. It was the second straight year he was Elon’s top receiver, again scoring 12 times and finishing among the top six in the FCS in both receptions (86) and receiving yards per game (100.0, 1,100 total) in 2010. Those numbers were a bit of a surprise given his minimal production as a redshirt freshman (8-117, 2 TD), but the graduation of former All-American Terrell Hudgins (whose single-season receiving yard mark Mallette broke in 2011) was a major factor.

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Good height to be a solid possession receiver at the next level, has enough size to shield defenders on slants. Reliable hands, wins jump balls in traffic and snatches the ball away from his frame whether tracking it over his shoulder or facing the quarterback. Not afraid to go over the middle, and can turn and run if hit in the soft spot of a zone. Flashes the flexibility and body control to adjust to high and low throws, as well as those behind him. Used on bubble screens and fly sweeps despite his size, has the agility to make a man miss after the catch. WEAKNESSES Long speed will be a concern for scouts, who may doubt his ability to separate from pro cornerbacks with quickness alone. Inconsistent strength as a ballcarrier, shows balance to keep his feet after contact at times but will fail to run through arm tackles. Must answer the level of competition question and prove himself confident in his abilities at a post-season all-star game. NFL COMPARISON Michael Jenkins BOTTOM LINE Mellette was lucky to play in a passing oriented offense, with the majority of his time under current Ball State head coach Pete Lembo. Prior to Mellete, Elon put forth a record breaking receiver in Terrell Hudgins, but Mellette's pro potential is much better. He won't win with long speed or athleticism, but Mellette has displayed the ability to make catches in traffic and win with technical route running. Expect a fourth- or fifth-round selection.

I was really disappointed to see the Niners take Quinton Patton a pick before us in the fourth round. I think he could have been an excellent fit for us. I do not know much about Mellette, but interesting measurables and outstanding production even if it was in the FCS. I know the guy had a big game against Vanderbilt and had a goodmweekmofmpractice in the Senior Bowl. Honestly, unless he tears up camp Mellette probably ends up taking Tommy Streeter's spot on IR and has a redshirt year.

14271.jpg "Think combo Jerry Rice/Boldin..... :sing: .....Small Division 587 school....nobody scouts these...there's at least one Jerry Rice sitting at home every year because of this. Ozzie made history with this pick."

I'm not such a fan. He is not fast at all, and his hands are probably only slightly above average. His stats were in large part due to the very passing-oriented offense that he played in along with the senior QB who felt comfortable with him. His route running looks pretty good, but his blocking seemed really lazy when I could see it.

You don't wait until the 7th round to find a replacement for Boldin. He has good speed...4.6. Good hands and feet.

Some of those catches remind me of Boldin...but he's definitely not Boldin or this would go down as one of the all time great draft picks...like Brady.

528898_471865986205161_1801610774_n.jpg

His nfl.com profile says he has 4.54 speed and he has been timed as good as 4.45 so certainly speed doesn't appear to be a problem.

There you go! He has all the speed he needs. Some of his route running reminds me of Stokely.

The truth is...Ozzie drafted him because he was the best rated player on their board at that time.

We're looking for someone to replace Boldin. That player is not on the Ravens roster.

Max,

I am trusting that Ozzie and co know of a pending release of a WR that fills the void vacated by Q

Otherwise, we are stuck with the WR corps of Smith, Jones and Doss- not the bunch that going to put the fear of God in any opposing defenses.

Yep, the more I think of it, our FO screwed up the Boldin deal. I've moved on and accepted it, but it was still a hair brain move by the FO.

Max,

I am trusting that Ozzie and co know of a pending release of a WR that fills the void vacated by Q

Otherwise, we are stuck with the WR corps of Smith, Jones and Doss- not the bunch that going to put the fear of God in any opposing defenses.

Yep, the more I think of it, our FO screwed up the Boldin deal. I've moved on and accepted it, but it was still a hair brain move by the FO.

The way I think of it is: if we did not release or give a pay cut to Boldin then we do not get Dumervil. I don't think Ozzie screwed up, I think he wanted to allocate more money to the defense. At least we spent money. The Pats did the same tactic with Welker and got a low cap number from Brady and still didn't spend.

The way I think of it is: if we did not release or give a pay cut to Boldin then we do not get Dumervil. I don't think Ozzie screwed up, I think he wanted to allocate more money to the defense. At least we spent money. The Pats did the same tactic with Welker and got a low cap number from Brady and still didn't spend.

Trading Q was a great move, we had no choice given our cap situation but to get rid of him and they managed to get a draft pick for him.