ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens still looking for Boldin’s replacement

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/ravens-still-looking-for-boldins-replacement/

As they have most of the offseason, the Ravens spent the draft checking off boxes on defense.

That leaves a bit of a hole at wide receiver after they traded Anquan Boldin, and assistant general manager Eric DeCosta said they’re still looking for potential replacements.

I think the hunt goes on,” DeCosta said, via Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun. “We’re still working. The roster is not set. We’re always evaluating. We’re always looking at guys. Guys get signed, guys get cut.

“Our pro personnel department looks at all available players and we’ll make a decision at some point of what we want to do at that position. There are definitely some players out there. We’ll consider all options.”

There’s not that much out there. The starting wideouts on our All-Unemployed Team at the moment are Brandon Lloyd and Devery Henderson, which speaks to the depth of available talent.

Mostly, the Ravens are hoping Jacoby Jones can continue with his playoff success, and perhaps prove he belongs in the NFL’s Top 100. Otherwise, they’re counting on development from a group including Tandon Doss, David Reed, LaQuan Williams and Deonte Thompson to complement Torrey Smith.

Their only addition in the draft was Elon’s Aaron Mellette in the seventh round.

“We’re very excited about Jacoby and the progress he made throughout last season,” DeCosta said. “We think we’ve got some very good young players that can step up and contribute. Deonte Thompson isn’t a heralded name, but a guy we think is going to be a good player. We’re excited about Tandon Doss. David Reed is a guy who’s had a lot of injuries. He’s flashed in practice and made plays.

“We’ve got some tight ends who can pick up the slack. Ed Dickson made some big plays last year in the Super Bowl, really played his best football in the playoffs. We’re excited to see him become what we thought he was going to be. We really think this is his chance to become a really good tight end in the NFL. Obviously, we’ve got Dennis Pitta, we’ve got Torrey Smith. We’ve got playmakers. We’re excited about what we can do on offense.”

Mostly, they have a quarterback who has proven himself able to make plays. But among the current options, the Ravens don’t have that kind of sure-thing target on third downs, which might erode some of Joe Flacco’s confidence when the games start without Boldin.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-57-Ozzie-Newsome-We-Could-Use-Veteran-WR-Playing-The-Field/48c1b82b-5418-49b7-ab55-6e9f388225e5

Good read as well ^ Definitely some vets left out there but we don't have much $ after the McKinnie deal. Minimum deal is pretty much all we'll be able to offer. Hopefully the playing time will be a draw so we can get somebody good in here for cheap.

Finding Boldin's replacement can not happen this year.
All they have is a long shot chance that somebody on the roster can pick up the slack. Boldin only had 4 TD catches in the regular season, but he was a chain mover. They can manufacture a lot of that in other ways.

Boldin went off the charts in the playoffs. We see 'that guy' because he was incredible. That can not be replaced by anybody who I see on the roster or the FA scrap heap.

Edited by vmax

Boldin was only decent until the playoff run---then he was Superman. We probably have a guy on the roster that can be as good as Q was during the season but there ain't nobody out there that can perform like he did in the playoffs. I feel privileged I was able to see that.

Hopefully we now have an OC that can run plays with route combinations that can get guys open. We never seemed to have any plays that put pressure on defenses to pick who they covered and leave someone open. That alone could help pick up some of the slack left by the departure of Boldin.

How many times last season did we see opposing teams having receivers running across the field uncovered yet we never seemed to have that.

• Upvote 1

It completely slipped my mind that the offense took off on its tear after Caldwell got settled in. With him still around, we might really get to see some routes we've been clamoring for.

Hopefully we now have an OC that can run plays with route combinations that can get guys open. We never seemed to have any plays that put pressure on defenses to pick who they covered and leave someone open. That alone could help pick up some of the slack left by the departure of Boldin.

How many times last season did we see opposing teams having receivers running across the field uncovered yet we never seemed to have that.

The Ravens were doing that in the playoffs.

Exactly. With a guy who is not so stubborn to do it his way and no other should do alright with the part in place.

The Ravens were doing that in the playoffs.

Only on a small scale max. Caldwell said he was still running Cam's offense as there just wasn't enough time to install something different. He just called plays better and tweaked things here and there.

With a full offseason to work on it, hopefully we will see even more of a jump forward. It also helps that Joe really seems to be on the same page with Caldwell whereas there always seemed to be some mistrust in Joe and Cam's relationship.

Only on a small scale max. Caldwell said he was still running Cam's offense as there just wasn't enough time to install something different. He just called plays better and tweaked things here and there.

With a full offseason to work on it, hopefully we will see even more of a jump forward. It also helps that Joe really seems to be on the same page with Caldwell whereas there always seemed to be some mistrust in Joe and Cam's relationship.

Im sure Cams game plan was a decent one, just the way he used the plays he became predictable

I am perfectly fine staying with who we have at WR. I think brining in a vet now would be a bad move. In past years we have seen TJ Housh, Lee Evans, and many other washed up vets come in with little success, only taking away from valuable reps younger guys could be getting. Let the younger guys get the reps, and come mid-preseason is the diagnosis still looks terrible then bring in a vet.

I didn't think losing the wr captain in ward was going to hurt as bad as it did. Brown is stepping into that role now. Do yinz think smith has what it takes to pull the wr together when they aren't doing well. I know he is a high character guy but is he a leader? The damn Steelers are looking to bring in Breaston and I'm furious over it. We have like 11 wrs on the roster already why bring in more spend that 5 million else where. I hope they wait sit on that money and sign some vets that get cut in camp or bring in Caldwell from the Texans who knows the zone blocking scheme we are implementing this year. I think the boldin loss is going to hurt yinz from way more then a production stand point. If I was Ozzie I'm on the phone with of trying to get bowe if you can afford him I'm not sure what your cap looks like right now.

Agree with what I read earlier somewhere... We're going to go through most of camp with what we have, if we don't think anyone is stepping up there will be a WR or 2 left in FA, somebody who got cut, or someone we can trade a 4th/5th rounder for to get a vet. No worries necessary. I'd still rather cut McClain now though and spend $2 Million on Dansby or Urlacher.

McClain isn't making anywhere near $2mil. Also Urlacher is done. He is worse than Ray was and Ray left a hole in the D.

You know this because of the total of 0 Bears games you watched. I saw multiple and am from Chicago, everyone there thinks he still has it... At least $2 Million of veteran leadership at MLB 'it'.

Then by definition Cam's game plan sucks. All of these guys have the same route tree and running plays. It is how you mix them together that makes a game plan.

Absolutely correct! Every team uses virtually the same plays to execute but there's a difference between using plays you like (Cam) and using plays that your players execute well (Caldwell). And, Papa is spot on: its how you mix and manage them that makes a good game plan succeed.

Then by definition Cam's game plan sucks. All of these guys have the same route tree and running plays. It is how you mix them together that makes a game plan.

I guess so, not 1 team is knocking his door down for a OC gig.

And, we are still looking for JohnnyU's and brooks replacement too. You dont replace them, you fill in and move on. Ray Rice out of the backfield then Boldin