ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Rolando McClain Retires

colincac

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Rolando-McClain-Retires-From-NFL/38deabfe-b59b-43de-88cc-5e43c41d956c

This guy has no brain. You don't often have the opportunity to earn a Million a year playing a game. Good riddance. Luckily there's still some vets out there.

What a dumbass but there aren't a lot of good free agent lbers left out there there urlacher but he is done. Wow I can't believe that do yinz have anybody behind him.

I really don't understand why he 'retired'.

But its probably good riddance.

Probably he never lived up to the hype I just don't understand these guys. I put 12 long hard year's into playing and while I enjoy coaching there's no telling what I'd give to play in the nfl. To me it's a sin to waste god given talent and that's what he is doing. Another Ricky Williams lord knows I love my green but to give up football fir it no way. I feel like he retired so he could do what he wanted and not get fined and suspended fir it. In the ling term this is probably good for yinz I don't know how he was in the lockerroombut I'm guessing not good.

What a Stellar career!

I almost respect his decision. He knows he has no heart to play. He knows he's not in shape and he knows what will happen to him in the Ravens locker room.

He knows he can't fool anybody anymore.

Agreed he'll be back soon, which is why I'm confused as to why we aren't just cutting him. Anyone know what impact this will have on the cap? Usually when players retire you can still be responsible for parts of the contract (see us paying Ray and Birk this year)...

More than 2.5 once McClains deal is off the books and remember we get another 2.5 after June 1 from Pollard. We'll pick up a vet then. Dansby only got 2.25, we should've pounced.

Barnett and Smith are better options but agreed that Spikes or Brookings wouldn't be bad. I could see us picking up Bart Scott even and everyone knows I still think Urlacher has it (the scouts agree). Lucky for us there are plenty of options out there so we might be able to get one of those guys for $1 Mil.

They aren't going to pick up any of them. Huge waste of money. We do not need a stopgap old guy at LB.

Not sure about the old part but we don't have any other option right now other than a stopgap. Draft is gone and most of the better FA are gone.

What a knobhead McClain is. I actually thought this would be a good signing and that Ozzie could straighten him out but I guess that Rolando is unfixable. This was a great shot for him to prove to the NFL that he was better than what we saw with the Raiders. A shot to prove that it was a dysfunctional Raiders team and not all down to him.

With this decision, he has slapped Ozzie in the face and flipped the bird at the NFL.

However, there may be more to this than meets the eye. It could simply be that he had a chat with Ozzie and he decided he needed a year off to sort out his legal issues etc. and get himself ready physically and mentally again to play in the NFL. He really still wants to play for Ozzie and the Ravens and that is why he is on the retired list rather than get flat out cut.

At the moment, I feel there is too much crap surrounding Rolando that I have to believe he is just an asshole that doesn't care about anyone but himself.

• Upvote 1

Not taking up for McClain, caus he is a knucklehead, but i think he retired because he has court hearings upcoming in july. And instead of being detained at the beginning of camp time. If he were to skate any jail time, we retain his rights if he should un-retire. so there's still a possibility he could return as a raven.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/15/mcclain-could-be-back/

There’s something not quite right about the decision of a 23-year-old top-10 draft pick with three years of experience retiring from the NFL.

Then again, there’s usually something not quite right when it comes to linebacker Rolando McClain.

My first thought upon seeing the news that he’ll be walking away from the game is that he’s doing so temporarily, an that if he stays out of trouble for a specific period of time (perhaps a year, perhaps less than that), McClain will unretire and return to the Ravens.

It’s a brilliant approach, since it gives the Ravens an escape hatch from McClain’s most recent legal troubles and it likewise gives McClain a path to return to the team. Indeed, Baltimore will retain McClain’s rights, since he’ll be placed on the team’s reserve/retired list. So if/when he returns, the Ravens would move him to the active roster, and they’d have him under contract for one year at $700,000.

One source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the decision to retire was made solely by McClain, with no influence from the team. McClain, we’re told, wants to focus solely on getting himself together before continuing his football career. The Ravens have offered to be a resource for McClain during this process, a consideration that likely flows in part from McClain’s connection to Alabama, where G.M. Ozzie Newsome played college football.

Thus, the only way McClain’s NFL story won’t continue will be if his arrest record continues to grow. But if he can keep himself out of trouble, McClain could indeed be back. And he’d likely be in Baltimore.

“We’ll see what happens,” the source said.

What could happen is an unlikely story of redemption for a player who, with some maturity, still has plenty of football left in him.