ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Riley Cooper

Geronimo

I'm not saying name-calling and killing are the same, you dope. Are you that thick?

I'm saying that name-calling the n-word is just like name-calling in an anti-semitic way. You don't think slavery and the genocides associated resulted in the killing of 6million people?

I'm saying that if you would expect a team to punish someone for being anti-semitic in their language, or anti-gay or anti-woman or anything... why don't you expect them to be similarly anti-racist? The word has meaning and history. To use it invokes that meaning and history. To invoke that meaning and history is, by our moral standards as a society, inappropriate. How hard is that to follow?

As for Vick - did the guy not get his punishment?

Lastly, I have never said any of the words are acceptable. I would expect some outrage and punishment if a player was calling a teammate or anyone 'spic' or honkey too.

Please, try to keep up.

What ???? you're an administrator on here and while arguing your point for name calling extreme punishment....You resort to name calling yourself....Now let's see mr do right, if you apply the same punishment for yourself....

That's a sure sign that you have lost the argument and have nothing more to add...

And my point was that you deemed honkey acceptable in a post but yell like a little banshee monkey about the dreaded N word....wooooo that may cause a bad karma to come your way....That's stupid, and self centered....

Don't worry about me keeping up, if you don't ban me, I'd have you slapping your mama, kicking the dog and cursing at the priest....You have already showed your real colors, if you can't do any better than that , save it for an Al Sharpton circus rally....I'm sure they'll buy in...

Sometimes you think someone is kind of dumb but then when you get to know them better you find out you were wrong and they are actually much stupider than you thought.

I cannot wait for the next 'mama' joke.

Wow, did you think of that all by yourself mr clown ???

Why I bet if you'd think twice, you'd be the smartest person in your family...duh !!!!

I deleted "honkey" in one post and the n word in another. Even in the post you quoted, it appears as "fellas" ... you're right it didn't happen instantaneously, because I am not here 24/7.

Meanwhile, if "dope" is name-calling to you - then I don't know what to tell you. You've been arguing around the topic and never addressing my points. I call these arguments 'dopes.' Get used to it. If you try to strawman my argument ("a word isn't the same as a genocide") then you'll hear me say dope. Enjoy. My argument stands, the word has meaning and we have to face it.

So let's review:

--I edited TWO posts - yours and another's (OldCrow?) and took out both slurs. I did not go back and edit older posts from earlier, if that's your complaint. I don't think I ever yelled about either word, but thank you for lumping in my opinions with everyone else's. I am sure it's easier to fight the monster you want than the monster you are actually looking at. Previous to this thread, I have banned/edited posts for slurs, never the N word (only because it hasn't been used)

--I have said I don't like any slurs - n word or otherwise.

--I am still waiting for you to tell me whether you think people should/would "make a stink" about anti-semitic terms. I think they would. I think they should. And I think the same rules apply to the n word. Yes, it is just a word and just an insult. But to repeat for the Nth time, using it says more about the user than the person used against. We don't tolerate the word, and the Eagles have every right to say "we expect more of our players." And I think they would respond exactly the same to homophobic language, to anti-woman language, to anti-semitic language, to anti-hispanic language, etc.

--Aside from understanding that you think people shouldn't get their feelings hurt so easily, I am unsure why you think we (a society) should tolerate people who use the language.

--I never said name-calling comes with extreme punishment. But I did say that generally it comes with some punishment, especially when it has strong cultural meaning.

Please feel free to address these points, but I'd ask you do so in a manner so people here have a clue what you're talking about instead of just yelling.

Lastly, if you think I'll ban you because I disagree with you or don't like you ... you have much to learn about our little corner here. But again, if you want to yell about the evil admins and "the man" keeping you down, feel free. My posts come from me as a user, not me as an admin unless otherwise noted. You argue with me as a user, not me as an admin, unless otherwise noted. I disagree with you. Stop acting like a child about it.

No, you put fellas in the place of cracker and left honkey in the same post....I called you on it and you danced around it with these twisted comparisons...

I did answer the question, it's just not what you want to hear.....

And to call someone a dope, refers to a dope head, I hope you don't go into another rant of comparisons for that now....

It's clear that you take the crutch stand on the n word, so it's safe to say you are a black person yourself, and that explains that.....

We aren't going to agree, and that is very evident, so I'll be a gentleman and let you have the last word on this tired conversation....

Goooo Ravens !!!!

First, you're right - I left honkey in - that was an accident. I guess I didn't see it. That's my mistake. Even in re-reading, I kept looking straight at "[fellas]" and not even remembering what I had edited.

Second, re: dope - the usage for a person precedes the drug. It refers to being thick headed.

Third: you have NOT addressed the most meaningful questions. Do you think someone would be "called out" and "punished" (on a professional sports team) for using anti-semitic language? For homophobic language? I do (and I think they should be, but that's a separate point). And history has shown they have been. So I don't understand how the NFL's reaction to Cooper is any different. And you have yet to explain why it should be. Or why it should be the same, but that "the same" means that no one responds. As Dee pointed out, there was huge controversy re: the Jeremy Lin "chink" story on ESPN. So why do you pretend that it's only regarding the n word?

Meanwhile - I am not black. I am as white as I can be - good old Baltimore Irish Catholic. Several other posters who have met me in person/are friends with me on other media sites can attest to that.

I don't know what the "crutch" stand on the N word is. I have only said one thing repeatedly: it is a bad word and those who use it, especially those in public professions, should expect repercussions, just as they should with any other slurs, because all of the "just words" convey a deeper meaning that our society has condemned. Though, I will agree, anti-white slurs tend not to get the same treatment... but I haven't seen too many NFL players use words like cracker or honkey. I maintain that if a public incident occurred, that player would face similar punishment as Cooper - though probably not similar social outcry.