ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens cut Jameel McClain’s pay in half

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/15/ravens-cut-jameel-mcclains-pay-in-half/

Ravens linebacker Jameel McClain still hasn’t been cleared to return from the spinal cord contusion he suffered late last season, which calls his availability for the regular season into question.

It also means that his $3 million salary was too high for the Ravens’ liking, so the team approached McClain about a pay cut and were able to reach agreement on a lower salary for the coming season. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports that his base salary has been sliced in half to $1.5 million and that his cap number will drop from $4.2 million to $2.7 million. McClain has one year left at a non-guaranteed $3.2 million on the three-year deal he signed before last season.

According to Wilson, McClain remains on the PUP list because doctors still find evidence of the bruise on his spinal cord on x-rays and he won’t be cleared to play football until those tests return clean. If that doesn’t happen, McClain could remain on the PUP list into the regular season and could conceivably wind up missing the entire year.

That’s obviously not an ideal scenario for the Ravens, who will go with Daryl Smith, Arthur Brown and others at inside linebacker as long as McClain is out, but at least it won’t cost them quite as much.

I'm wondering if McClain has played his last game. And I can kind of understand the pay reduction: money wasn't guaranteed and they're still paying him a cool 1.5 million to just, hopefully, get better.

I agree, a spinal contusion is nothing to play around with, and if it aint healed in 9 months, with the NFL's rehab program, it isnt healing

I don't think you can cut an injured player. They can only do an injury settlement I think if they want to cut ties.

Since he was put on IR last year, they have been able to cut him since the new league year started in March. He would be released under the "failed physical" designation. It's what they did with Foxworth.

• Upvote 1

After lstening to Tony Lombardo on 105.7, it appears the Ravens did McClain a huge favor. They could have cut him, as many teams would have. The Ravens are a player friendly team, so chose, rather than cut him, to keep him around for 1.5 million, even if he doesn't play. Ravens are a class organization. The word is getting around the NFL of the same. That is why we pick up key players from other teams, ie: Dallas Clark, Darryl Smith, etc.

After lstening to Tony Lombardo on 105.7, it appears the Ravens did McClain a huge favor. They could have cut him, as many teams would have. The Ravens are a player friendly team, so chose, rather than cut him, to keep him around for 1.5 million, even if he doesn't play. Ravens are a class organization. The word is getting around the NFL of the same. That is why we pick up key players from other teams, ie: Dallas Clark, Darryl Smith, etc.

Thanks for that info Tornado. I feel better about this situation.

Also Fox passed the physical. he played but was just not good.

No, actually he didn't. They may have given him some sort of settlement, but they were under no obligation to do so. He was put on IR in September, 2011 and released March, 2012 (which is as soon as they were able to do so).

A day after shredding his knee, Foxworth -- supporting himself on crutches as tears welled up in his eyes -- told reporters at an impromptu news conference in the lobby of the Westminster Best Western that he felt he was letting the franchise down. He spent that season on injured reserve, and after the pain in his knee persisted in 2011, Foxworth was placed on injured reserve in late September.

"We appreciate all Domonique did for us the past three years, both with his play and his important leadership off the field," Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome said Monday in a statement. "This does not preclude us from bringing back Domonique back at a later date."

The Ravens said Foxworth failed a physical. As a vested veteran, meaning he has at least four years of NFLicon1.pngexperience, Foxworth is now a free agent and can sign with any team.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-03-05/sports/bal-ravens-insider-ravens-release-cornerback-domonique-foxworth-20120305_1_domonique-foxworth-ravens-week

To sum up:

A player cannot be released during the same league year he is put on IR, unless an injury settlement is reached. Once the new league year starts (March), that player can be released if he cannot pass the team physical.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/foxworth-says-his-knee-doesnt-feel-great/

It just doesn’t feel great,” Foxworth said after Monday’s practice, according to Jamison Hensley of the Baltimore Sun. “It’s frustrating. I don’t know. I’m not very happy about it, but I’ll just keep working, I guess. It hurts, and I don’t feel as quick or as fast as I once was. Everyone says it’s part of the process, but I can’t go out there and let down the team. So I’m just pushing and trying to get it where it needs to be as soon as possible.”

Fox was activated. If he was activated he passed the physical. His knee got worse as camp continued. I remembered wondering why they wouldn't keep him on the PUP list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/foxworth-says-his-knee-doesnt-feel-great/

Fox was activated. If he was activated he passed the physical. His knee got worse as camp continued. I remembered wondering why they wouldn't keep him on the PUP list.

Wrong IR stint. That was written in August, 2011. He was later placed on IR again in September, 2011 and released the following March under the "failed physical" designation.