ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Missing Boldin?

vmax

Maybe but....

This is interesting....from John Eisenberg....

When Anquan Boldin caught 13 passes for the San Francisco 49ers in their season opener, it seemed clear beyond all doubt that the Ravens had blundered by parting ways with Joe Flaccoicon-article-link.gif’s favorite wideout from the Super Bowl run.

But narratives can change. Now it’s mid-October and the situation isn’t quite as clear cut.

In the 49ers’ five games since their opener, Boldin has made 16 catches for 213 yards and a touchdown. That’s an average of 3.1 catches and 43 receiving yards per game – pretty modest. He had three catches for 28 yards last Sunday against Arizona, and two for 21 yards against Houston the week before.

Meanwhile, in the same five-game span in Baltimore, Tandon Dossicon-article-link.gif has caught 11 passes for 204 yards and Marlon Brownicon-article-link.gif has caught 13 passes for 156 yards and two touchdowns. Both are in Boldin’s neighborhood statistically despite somewhat limited playing time, and combined, they’re producing a lot more.

The Ravens’ receivers were under heavy scrutiny when the season opened because Boldin was gone, but the brunt of that attention has now shifted to the team’s tepid running game. The wideouts are faring well. In fact, with help from Torrey Smithicon-article-link.gif’s big numbers, Flacco has gotten better production from them in the first six games of 2013 than he did in the first six games of 2012, when Boldin was here.

The Ravens’ wideouts caught 63 passes for 1,078 yards in the first six games last year, and this year, they’ve caught 76 for 1,199 yards.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Ravens-May-Not-Miss-Boldin-After-All/bbde6b3e-ab01-4bd1-91e5-b133d49fb7fd

"I guess the next thing you'll post is ya'll ain't missing me."

Texans_Ravens_Football_138772_team.jpg

• Upvote 1

When Anquan Boldin caught 13 passes for the San Francisco 49ers in their season opener, it seemed clear beyond all doubt that the Ravens had blundered by parting ways with Joe Flaccoicon-article-link.gif’s favorite wideout from the Super Bowl run.

But narratives can change. Now it’s mid-October and the situation isn’t quite as clear cut.

In the 49ers’ five games since their opener, Boldin has made 16 catches for 213 yards and a touchdown. That’s an average of 3.1 catches and 43 receiving yards per game – pretty modest. He had three catches for 28 yards last Sunday against Arizona, and two for 21 yards against Houston the week before.

Meanwhile, in the same five-game span in Baltimore, Tandon Dossicon-article-link.gif has caught 11 passes for 204 yards and Marlon Brownicon-article-link.gif has caught 13 passes for 156 yards and two touchdowns. Both are in Boldin’s neighborhood statistically despite somewhat limited playing time, and combined, they’re producing a lot more.

The Ravens’ receivers were under heavy scrutiny when the season opened because Boldin was gone, but the brunt of that attention has now shifted to the team’s tepid running game. The wideouts are faring well. In fact, with help from Torrey Smithicon-article-link.gif’s big numbers, Flacco has gotten better production from them in the first six games of 2013 than he did in the first six games of 2012, when Boldin was here.

The Ravens’ wideouts caught 63 passes for 1,078 yards in the first six games last year, and this year, they’ve caught 76 for 1,199 yards.

http://www.baltimore...e5-b133d49fb7fd

And this should serve to quiet the Joe haters who say he does not make those around him better, and do more with less......

Just chew real good then swallow, now that's the facts....

And this should serve to quiet the Joe haters who say he does not make those around him better, and do more with less......

Just chew real good then swallow, now that's the facts....

Good observation by OS and a good article by Eisenberg.

Oh yeah. I think they miss him. It was a mistake to trade him. We don't win the SB without him (IMO) so we ask him to take a pay cut then trade him.

The offense gets the team through the playoffs and wins it all then the front office gets rid of a key part while almost completely focusing on defense in the off season. The offense could have possibly been special but the team dismantled and ignored it.

Oh yeah. I think they miss him. It was a mistake to trade him. We don't win the SB without him (IMO) so we ask him to take a pay cut then trade him.

The offense gets the team through the playoffs and wins it all then the front office gets rid of a key part while almost completely focusing on defense in the off season. The offense could have possibly been special but the team dismantled and ignored it.

You can't be sure of that, because Pitta, and JJ were well able to take up that slack, and although I was a Q fan for sure, it wasn't just him that got us the wins nor the ring.....He was an important part but you could say without JJ we wouldn't have gotten past Denver, or Joe's 11 TD's and no INT's that by the way the pros decided that Joe not Q was the MVP of the SB....I miss him too but we would have a Defense that couldn't stop Granny Clampett if we would have paid him.....He wouldn't take the restructure so he had to go.....We'll get it right on O, got 10 games and getting healthy, good news....

Q was absolutely a beast in the playoffs, no doubt, but he didn't meet that level during the regular season or over the 1st 6 games so far this year. Separation was always a problem for him in every regular season we had him.

Sure, I loved the guy and his attitude but we would have had no D with him here this year.

Guys, think about it from the other side. If anything, the stats suggest that we miss the hell out of him, considering that we're getting only similar production from the current group of receivers without the benefit of any TE or running game help whatsoever.

Do you mean the stats suggest that we don't miss the hell out of him?

I say that because last year Joe had a running game, TE and an O line that pass protected....so for Joe to get similar production, given this years circumstances, maybe they don't miss him that much.

Nevertheless...in the back of my mind that the Ravens would be potent with Boldin. Joe developed that special chemistry and rapport with Boldin. I can't help thinking that with Boldin, Smith and Jones on the field that the numbers would be better. Then the playoff run comes to mind. Boldin was out of this world. He took over. I think he would do the same this year if the Ravens make the playoffs...a big "If" at this time considering how things are playing out.

Edited by vmax

IMO we are not missing Boldin an SF wouldn't be missing him either if he left except for the first game.

once teams figure out how to cover him A la Seattle Pitt Cincy he is Poof gone. No production.

I am satisfied with our ridiculous front 7 on Defense that was paid for with the millions we saved from releasing our slow wr named Boldin.

;)

I am satisfied with our ridiculous front 7 on Defense that was paid for with the millions we saved from releasing our slow wr named Boldin.

;)

Me too.

I can't stand watching teams march up and down the field on the Ravens defense. They couldn't get off the field...the O couldn't get the ball and get into a rhythm...If last years D wasn't improved this would be a horrible season.

What do you want? One guy in Boldin?... or Smith, Canty, Spears and Dumervill? The bleeding has stopped. Now they have a good chance to be in every game no matter who the opponent is.

Do you mean the stats suggest that we don't miss the hell out of him?

I say that because last year Joe had a running game, TE and an O line that pass protected....so for Joe to get similar production, given this years circumstances, maybe they don't miss him that much.

Nevertheless...in the back of my mind that the Ravens would be potent with Boldin. Joe developed that special chemistry and rapport with Boldin. I can't help thinking that with Boldin, Smith and Jones on the field that the numbers would be better. Then the playoff run comes to mind. Boldin was out of this world. He took over. I think he would do the same this year if the Ravens make the playoffs...a big "If" at this time considering how things are playing out.

Hes selfish and greedy, hes not a Raven

Exactly. The changes that were made on D have had us in every game but one this year. Our team could easily be 5-1 and the defensive changes is the reason.

When they really start to gel I look for big things remember we lost 8 starters from last years SB winning team and we are 3-3 and could own the division in the next 3 weeks if we get it together.

I'll take it.

GO RAVENS!!!!

:thumbup:

I never said he was the only reason the team won the super bowl. I said I don't think they win it or make it there without him. Naturally numerous other players had a lot to do with the run as well.

I think the team did him wrong and I think it has hurt the team. Has any WR we have ever had fought for the ball as hard? Done as much without the ball as he has? People want to support the team, and I do too, but when the team parts with a player there seems to be a desire by a lot of fans to diminish what the payer did while here. I don't get that.

I think the team certainly scores more points in the first 6 games if he was here and I suspect they have at least one more win, though admittedly that's just a gut feeling.

Heck do the Ravens even make the playoffs last year if Boldin doesn't make a hard and tremendous block in SD?

Edited by Spen

Could the absence of Boldin, and with him a legitimate downfield threat, be part of the lack of a running game?

I don't think so.

Think about it....the Ravens have had great rushing attacks with no threat at QB or receiver.

Terry Allen and Jason Brookins look like Adrian Peterson compared to Rice and Pierce.

I agree with that. The offensive line, due to injuries to KO, the retirement of Birk, and Yanda coming off surgery has just not been the same. I'm not sure they can overcome that this season especially since it looks like KO needs surgery. Crap! I hope he's ready next year. Back problems can plague offensive lineman for years.

I agree with that. The offensive line, due to injuries to KO, the retirement of Birk, and Yanda coming off surgery has just not been the same. I'm not sure they can overcome that this season especially since it looks like KO needs surgery. Crap! I hope he's ready next year. Back problems can plague offensive lineman for years.

We got a SB out of him, so if he can't get over it by next yr, cut him....