ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens / Patriots flexed out of Sunday night game.

Money

Replaced by Bears / Eagles. That's a mistake in my opinion. Don't see how that game will be a bigger draw. Our game is moved to the 4:25 time slot.

I'm disappointed. I love the all-day tailgating that accompanies the Sunday night home games. The magnitude of this game was going to make it that much better.

This has Kraft written all over it. He is on the scheduling committee. The Patriots did the same thing to us a couple of seasons ago in the midst of a race for the #1 seed. We were playing a streaking Chargers team and the league wanted to put the Pats against the Broncos in the Sunday night slot (this was at the height of Tebow-mana). Pats refused to be flexed out. The Chargers had a total of five fans at each of their prior home games, but that stadium packed for the prime time game and they came out and killed us.

• Downvote 1

I think it is all NBC. Philthy and Chi have no D. It is going to be a score fest. It is not like the Ravens and Pats will be a dynamic offensive output.

It's actually the league that decides this. From a ratings standpoint:

Bal/NE and Chi/Phi >>> Pit/GB and Bal/NE

• Upvote 1

It's actually the league that decides this. From a ratings standpoint:

Bal/NE and Chi/Phi >>> Pit/GB and Bal/NE

Indeed the leagues call. I guess when you consider what was airing at the 4:15 slot it makes more sense. I personally like watching that 4 slot better, but I'm as an out-of-market fan, this better not screw me.

I love it. I hate going to 8:30 games and then having to work the next day.

I'd be fine if they never had a night game.

I like it better too as a fan. However as a player I think a prime time game greatly benefits the home team. More time at home, while the visiting team is spending another day in a hotel having to look forward toward a redeye flight. The crowd is often more hyped for a prime time game. No doubt the Pats dodged a bullet here.

I thought NBC was the ones that went to the league if they didn't like a matchup. I could have sworn that it was written into their contract.

I'm sure there is communication, but the NFL controls matters. Bal/NE is the bigger draw...and easily I might add. These two teams have represented the AFCCG the last two years. They have also played very entertaining games the last several years. NE (and Brady and Belichick) is always a huge draw. The Ravens are the defending champs. There is no way Chi/Phi generates even close to the same interest.

I'm sure there is communication, but the NFL controls matters. Bal/NE is the bigger draw...and easily I might add. These two teams have represented the AFCCG the last two years. They have also played very entertaining games the last several years. NE (and Brady and Belichick) is always a huge draw. The Ravens are the defending champs. There is no way Chi/Phi generates even close to the same interest.

I know Fox and CBS can block to a certain degree. Most general football fans just want an exciting game. They don't care about past events. They want fireworks now.

Those of you who think that Ravens/Patriots is a bigger draw than Chicago/Philly are being silly. Both Chicago and Philly are bigger markets than Boston and Baltimore, and their game appears to mean more to the playoff picture anyway.

Need I remind you that we are 7-6?

Ummm...Chicago is 7-6 and Philly is one game better. Not sure how much the markets play into it when the NFL will get those fans watching no matter when the game is. I feel it's more about everyone else. Forget about the Ravens for a second (even the defending Super Bowl champs usually tend to draw interest the following year). Do you honestly believe the Bears or Eagles draw more national exposure than the Patriots? Do you honestly believe any player on those teams comes anywhere near the marketability of Brady? What about the marketability of Belichick? Is there any team that is even remotely as polarizing as New England? Love them or hate them, people want to tune in and watch them.

I like it better too as a fan. However as a player I think a prime time game greatly benefits the home team. More time at home, while the visiting team is spending another day in a hotel having to look forward toward a redeye flight. The crowd is often more hyped for a prime time game. No doubt the Pats dodged a bullet here.

I've got a feeling that IF we beat the Lions, this town will be super-amped no matter what time we play the Pats.

Are the Pats or Ravens putting up fantasy points? No. These other 2 teams are lighting it up. It is about the numbers.

Let me put it this way. If FOX had the national game, the Chi/Phi game would be 4:25 and the Bal/NE game would still be the NBC game. The NFL simply didn't want to lose millions by having Pit/GB as the national game. Who would tune into that???

Ummm...Chicago is 7-6 and Philly is one game better. Not sure how much the markets play into it when the NFL will get those fans watching no matter when the game is. I feel it's more about everyone else. Forget about the Ravens for a second (even the defending Super Bowl champs usually tend to draw interest the following year). Do you honestly believe the Bears or Eagles draw more national exposure than the Patriots? Do you honestly believe any player on those teams comes anywhere near the marketability of Brady? What about the marketability of Belichick? Is there any team that is even remotely as polarizing as New England? Love them or hate them, people want to tune in and watch them.

Marketability is not relevant to television pull. The sheer size of the Chicago and Philly markets, along with the markets they bring with them (e.g. via rivalries) is leaps and bounds ahead of what a Ravens/Patriots game pulls.

The Chicago television market is #3 in the country in size. Philly is #4. Meanwhile, Boston is #7, and Baltimore is #27. Bear in mind, as well, the regions in surrounding areas that boost this total for each market (Philly and Boston get the most boost here). Therefore, just simply by the numbers, the Bears/Eagles game makes more sense in primetime. That's before you factor in that the playoff picture for those teams is more interesting than ours, that the Bears (who are also 7-6, yeah) have that record with a backup quarterback whose starter might be finally starting during this game.

Aside from homerism and/or the unfounded sentiment that the defending champions have the right to be on primetime when they choose, there is no argument for our game staying on primetime.

Marketability is relevant. Otherwise how do you explain Peyton Manning being on primetime all those years he was in Indianapolis? Indy is not close to being a big market.

It is about marketability too. Chi/Phi is easy to market right now. The Ravens have been mediocre for most of the season. Brady has down numbers due to a poor suporting cast. Had Gronk not gotten hurt Sunday the game might have stayed as is. Big stats equal big veiwers nationally.