ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

New Offensive Line Coach Named

GrubberRaven

Not a Castillo fan in the slightest. The only glimmer I see is that many reported - even Bryant McKinney - that Castillo is a good coach and good at 'making players.' The hope is that one year / one training camp wasn't enough to turn the crew we had into the crew he wanted to create.

Do I actually believe in that? Not really.

But who knows? Maybe he can teach his scheme with more time. Maybe our guys - or new guys - can learn it. Maybe our running backs can be taught how to run behind it.

Not a Castillo fan in the slightest. The only glimmer I see is that many reported - even Bryant McKinney - that Castillo is a good coach and good at 'making players.' The hope is that one year / one training camp wasn't enough to turn the crew we had into the crew he wanted to create.

Do I actually believe in that? Not really.

But who knows? Maybe he can teach his scheme with more time. Maybe our guys - or new guys - can learn it. Maybe our running backs can be taught how to run behind it.

My thoughts too. I'm not too shocked or disappointed by the news. At this point I think continuity may even be better than starting over.

It is obvious that both Ozzie and Harbs believe that the issue was personnel and not Castillo's schemes. Ozzie talked about getting bigger in the middle of the line and Harbs talked about the need to change Castillo's title because "Run Game Coordinator" unfairly put him in the crosshairs.

I'm not talking about that.

Actually I want to point out to the Harbaugh haters that Ozzie is involved and has a voice. I believe John has the final say, but if your boss tells you so and so stinks at his job, then you would do something about it or you might lose yours.

That's all good , but if Harbaugh wants Bozo the Clown as his OC, under the terms of his contract, he can do so. Besides, I personally think John Harbaugh feels he's made of teflon. After all, he stole $$ out of Bisciotti wallet for good buddies Mattison, Cameron, and now Castillo with no repercussions. He's clueless as a gameday coach. He's wrought havoc in the locker room and amongst the coaching staff. All this while receiving a mid year extention and jangling a SB ring around the Castle. This guy's head, like Billick before him, has got to be the size of Jupiter by now. I'm no Harbaugh hater, but for the sake of this organization, I won't shed a tear if he gets canned.

That's all good , but if Harbaugh wants Bozo the Clown as his OC, under the terms of his contract, he can do so. Besides, I personally think John Harbaugh feels he's made of teflon. After all, he stole $$ out of Bisciotti wallet for good buddies Mattison, Cameron, and now Castillo with no repercussions. He's clueless as a gameday coach. He's wrought havoc in the locker room and amongst the coaching staff. All this while receiving a mid year extention and jangling a SB ring around the Castle. This guy's head, like Billick before him, has got to be the size of Jupiter by now. I'm no Harbaugh hater, but for the sake of this organization, I won't shed a tear if he gets canned.

I may be newly "back" but are you serious? You want to fire a coach who has been to the playoffs in 5 of his 6 years as coach? Not just one & done mind you, but multiple AFC championship games, one which includes a Super Bowl win and, includes beating teams statistically far better than the Ravens were in each of those 5 year playoff runs.

Has he made mistakes? Of course, ALL coaches do, every coach, every year, except one year in the history of the NFL have cost their teams games with poo in game management. Hiring friends, as you call it, happens on every team, always has, it even happens in most jobs todday dating back to the history of the world.

I am not a huge Harbs fan, but I have been around the game for a long, long time and no, you do not fire him, not even if the team goes 5-11 next year.

As much as I'd like to blame Juan for everything Oline related this season lets look at the personnel ........ We had Shipley and Gino in the middle, two undersized lower drafted players. We had Oher who moved faster backwards than forwards. McKinnie was taking plays off, traded him for Monroe who was serviceable not spectacular. Yanda did what he could but wasn't 100% Both Rice and Pierce weren't healthy either. Or best chance was Rainey but Harbs had a thing for him.........

With all that being said..... Why should we really have expected Castillo to turn this pile of cr@p into gold?

ZBS does not allow the O-Line to "play like Ravens". IMO they are thinking do I block this guy or that guy and end up whiffing on both. Man blocking allows them to just line up and hit people. Isn't that what Ravens do?

When Ozzie said we were going to get bigger in the middle of the O-Line I thought that meant a return to smash mouth hard hitting Ravens football. But then we announce we will continue to keep Castillo. Something doesn't add up. Normally ZBS are run by smaller, quicker linemen so WTF are we doing. Didn't we learn anything from the disaster of trying to fit possession WRs into Cam's chuck it long offense? No we are going to try and fit maulers into a Zone Blocking Scheme.

Perhaps Ozzie fell and knocked his head when he took that turn in Chicago because this just doesn't add up. Let's get better by keeping the idiots that screwed up this team in the first place and then give them the wrong tools. SMH.

I may be newly "back" but are you serious? You want to fire a coach who has been to the playoffs in 5 of his 6 years as coach? Not just one & done mind you, but multiple AFC championship games, one which includes a Super Bowl win and, includes beating teams statistically far better than the Ravens were in each of those 5 year playoff runs.

Has he made mistakes? Of course, ALL coaches do, every coach, every year, except one year in the history of the NFL have cost their teams games with poo in game management. Hiring friends, as you call it, happens on every team, always has, it even happens in most jobs todday dating back to the history of the world.

I am not a huge Harbs fan, but I have been around the game for a long, long time and no, you do not fire him, not even if the team goes 5-11 next year.

Am I serious? Absolutely. I credit the Ravens organization and it's personel for Harbaugh's phat resume - certainly not Harbaugh's coaching abilities. Despite his resume, do you honestly believe Harbaugh would be a hot ticket on the open market? Before you answer, think Brian Billick.

ZBS does not allow the O-Line to "play like Ravens". IMO they are thinking do I block this guy or that guy and end up whiffing on both. Man blocking allows them to just line up and hit people. Isn't that what Ravens do?

When Ozzie said we were going to get bigger in the middle of the O-Line I thought that meant a return to smash mouth hard hitting Ravens football. But then we announce we will continue to keep Castillo. Something doesn't add up. Normally ZBS are run by smaller, quicker linemen so WTF are we doing. Didn't we learn anything from the disaster of trying to fit possession WRs into Cam's chuck it long offense? No we are going to try and fit maulers into a Zone Blocking Scheme.

Perhaps Ozzie fell and knocked his head when he took that turn in Chicago because this just doesn't add up. Let's get better by keeping the idiots that screwed up this team in the first place and then give them the wrong tools. SMH.

I think Yanda and Osemele are athletic enough. The guys that were completely wrong for the ZBS were McKinnie and Oher. Both are gone.

Bingo. That one was a head scratcher. This may be Ozzie's way of letting Harbaugh know that Castillo's zone blocking scheme is DOA and Harbaugh's sticking out his neck for his good buddy may have been too risky.

SanFran has big boys, they run a combination of zone and man blocking, pending plays. Big & athletic is possible. Zone blocking is a matter of smarts & practice, which apparenty, were lacking from most of the line men. That is why they traded for Monroe, he is strictly a zone blocking tackle. The thinking is, I believe, that Yonda and Kelechi can assimilate and they just need a bigger center and a better right tackle.

Add in Spags and his nephew at the least. I bet if you go into the whole staff you will find several who have deep ties to Harbs.

It is the same mistakes over and over. Yeah you can screw up from time to time. Misjudge a situation. But when you continuously can't grasp the time on the clock and the score then you just don't choose to get better. Also how many times does he not grasp his playmakers are on the sideline or just never touching the ball? It is the same mistakes.

Listened to the tape again and Ozzie said we will have to get bigger in the interior offensive line. Guess that means Gradkowski is done.

I still say when Caldwell is gone and Harbs hires an OC what if that guy doesn't like ZBS?

Exactly. If and when a new OC comes in and he and Castillo don't mesh, that's a recipe for disaster. It'll make it that much harder and longer to right the ship. The Biscuit and Ozzie need to fix this mess before we turn into another Redskins or Browns.

It is silly isnt it? Clueless coaches do not have the sucess over 6 seasons that Harbaugh has. They just dont. Talent and coaching are both important, and one can make up for the other at times but if either are bad teams will not suceed.

This is going to be so much fun.

You see doom on the horizon and are rubbing your hands in anticipation, arent you? Oh well, hopefully for you the team will really suck.

Edited by Spen

I thought he was the OL coach all along AND the run game coordinator. And that, if anything, one of those titles was removed - not added?

I guess by making Juan Castillo's job title official, I guess John Harbaugh feels that going forward, this absolves him of blame for causing in house confusion and rebellion by of hiring an outsider over and above ( $$ ) those assistants with seniority within his staff. What fightens me most now is John Harbaugh, a coach with a history of bad hires for this team and it's players, now has the potential opportunity of hiring a few more of his buddies ( Running Back Coach, and perhaps Offensive Coordinator ). I'm just so glad that Steve Bisciotti fired a shot across Harbaugh bow by stating to Preston that failure was not an option and if there is no improvement, he will step in. The last time Bisciotti found it necessary to step in, Brian Billick and staff were shown the door.

I guess by making Juan Castillo's job title official, I guess John Harbaugh feels that going forward, this absolves him of blame for causing in house confusion and rebellion by of hiring an outsider over and above ( $$ ) those assistants with seniority within his staff. What fightens me most now is John Harbaugh, a coach with a history of bad hires for this team and it's players, now has the potential opportunity of hiring a few more of his buddies ( Running Back Coach, and perhaps Offensive Coordinator ). I'm just so glad that Steve Bisciotti fired a shot across Harbaugh bow by stating to Preston that failure was not an option and if there is no improvement, he will step in. The last time Bisciotti found it necessary to step in, Brian Billick and staff were shown the door.

Okay...I have to ask. WTF are you talking about??!! The guy has an 8-8 year after 5 straight years in the playoffs, 9 playoff wins, 3 AFCCG's and a Super Bowl championship and you are talking about him like he's Marvin Lewis or something. Billick was shown the door 7 years after the Ravens won the Super Bowl. The Ravens failed to make the playoffs 4 of those years and only had one playoff win in those 7 years. Get a freakin' clue.