ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Would this work?

vmax

I want to keep Suggs...at the right price of course....maybe this will work.

The problem with Suggs’ situation, says writer Joel Corry, is that the outside linebacker is on the wrong side of 30 and on the wrong side of the $10 million per year mark.

“Suggs must recognize that a new extension will average less than his current deal ($10,416,667 per year),” Corry wrote.

The only pass rusher making more than $10 million per year on a contract signed after reaching 30 years old is Julius Peppers. Robert Mathis and Chris Clemons are close with a $9 million average.

But the market for older pass rushers was “soft” last year, and Suggs may not want to test the market (via refusing a contract extension and being released) after seeing what happened to these three:

Dwight Freeney (33): Two years, $8.75 million
Osi Umenyiora (34): Two years, $8.5 million
John Abraham (35): Two years, $4.6 million

Of course, all of these contracts had escalators based off performance, and Suggs is slightly younger at 31.

A solution Corry suggested is to give Suggs a three-year, $18 million extension where he would receive a $7 million signing bonus with a $1 million 2014 base salary. As such, the Ravens would shave $5 million off their 2014 salary cap, while Suggs would actually get $200,000 more in base salary. Throw in $6 million in base salary escalators and incentives with a 12-sack threshold, and Suggs could make an extra $24 million.

“Suggs needs to be comfortable with the dynamics of the older pass rusher market if he rejects a reasonable offer from the Ravens,” Corry wrote. “If not, he could initially price himself out of the market when he finds out that the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.”http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-117-Suggs-Asked-To-Fling-Terrible-Towel--His-Reaction/b69ea254-dee6-4cfc-8b6c-ad0c983b26e4

The way Suggs finished the season was frightening. He was sloppy with his assignments and the sack numbers decreased drastically. I am not sure if I even want Suggs extended. No way I give him a signing bonus of $7 million. I present him with the same scenario as Boldin last year, pay cut or release. He plays out the year to see if he earns a contract extension.

Why push money into the future for an aging vet? Injuries happen more frequently once a player hits 30. We all know it, player or no player, once we hit 30, we don't "mend" as fast.

So why go into a mortgage with him knowing the lilikelihoodf him playing all 16 games per season and, being effective in each game, is very slim? All they are doing is costing the team a good young player, next year,the year or the year after because of the cap. See, the new CBA screwed the players on cap dollars, but they did not listen when nenegotiationsere going on, all they heard was the will get money momoney The cap will not rise to the % it once did each year, so aging players will lose money because it will not make it viable, feasible, to keep them, nor extend them.

Look at the Redskins, I know, a slightly different situation with the penalties. However, we can learn from that situation as far as dead money. The Raiders too, also suffered with money they could could not use but counted aganagainstir cap.

Both teams suffered from a lack of depth because of higher dollar vets and no money left for the cheap, intermediate players needed for depth, especially for special teams.

Now with the Ravens it will not get that bad, but they are alsways tight up against the cap, since they came here, back in 1996; nothng has changed it seems. Sure, more money, better players, but still cap struck every year. They needed Boldin not for his play but for his teaching of the younger receivers, in route running and blocking. He was only counting $3 (?) mil against their cap, come on....

So now we want to keep Suggs, extend him, for what? Nine sacks, most of which came in one or two games? No sacks in the final five when they needed them most? This with a true pass rusher in Dummervil on the other side!

Just say no to Suggs, cut him, save the most we can now and in the future, do so without "malice in the heart"... :bleh:

Good points. Thanks.

I was thinking that he was injured for the second half of the season.

Other than Dumervill they have nobody who can rush the passer. If the lose Jones then....well they have to rebuild the O line and D line to be competitive...and they need linebackers.....they can't do that in one off season.

That's why i was trying to find a way to keep Suggs.

I guess let's go with Ozzies "right price/right player" strategy.

Other than Dumervill they have nobody who can rush the passer. If the lose Jones then....well they have to rebuild the O line and D line to be competitive...and they need linebackers.....they can't do that in one off season.

The Ravens will be rebuilding for the next 2 years at least. And that's if they draft well.

We release t sizzle and we are 4-12 at best, we need to much on all sides of the ball to cut Suggs

That is exactly why they need to cut him and not extend his contract. The Ravens had the lead in the 4th quarter with under 8 minutes left, what, five, six times this year and just needed the defene to make one stop. Yet in each of those games, no sacks by Suggs, no tackles for loss, not even by Dummervil, who granted, was hurt.

So you have to let Suggs walk and find out if Ozzie's draft picks from Bama can truly step up. Frankly, I don't expect much from either of them, they are roll players at best. You also have to hope Dummervil is legit, and not just a pass rusher when some one else is getting double teamed. Frankly, honestly, niether he nor Suggs were doubled much, they were simply ineffective.

Yes, they could easily have been 4-12, but just as easily 12-4 with a few plays from the "dangerous duo" so hyped last off season. They got the Super Bowl with an average team, so use it to rebuild the team over the next two seasons, it won't take long. Many teams will be rebuilding over that time so who knows, 9-7 could win it all, again...........

Yep. That's why they need to draft and hope after whiffing most of the past decade on Impact players, they finally select an assassin or two on defense. A Patrick Willis, Luke Keuchley type who can spearhead, form and lead the defense for years to come. It's time for Ozzie and Co to step up their draft program and start hitting some homers.

Now. This year .

I honestly don't see this as a rebuilding team. If Pitta didn't get hurt this is a playoff team and all the hopla is gone. Defense needs tweaking up the middle, offense needs another WR and TE and this team as it was could take the division.