ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Leach and McClain cut

Robjr83

Saving $5 mil... no real surprise.... Juice and Brown...Next man up!

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Reports-Ravens-Release-Vonta-Leach-Jameel-McClain/2ce8d513-9bb7-4749-be7d-cf6f3aff0683?mobile-id=804588&media-type=N

he Ravens terminated the contracts of veteran fullback Vonta Leach and inside linebacker Jameel McClainThursday, clearing salary cap space before free agency begins March 11, according to Jeff Zrebiec of The Baltimore Sun.
The moves will reportedly save $4.95 million in salary cap space.
McClain, 28, has spent his entire six-year career in Baltimore after the Ravens signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008. He was entering the final year of his contract and reportedly carried a $4.4 million cap hit this season.
McClain started 10 games last season after coming back from a career- threatening spinal cord injury that he sustained during the 2012 season. McClain finished with 52 tackles and one forced fumble last year. He has been a starting inside linebacker in Baltimore since 2010.
Despite getting cut, McClain could still return to Baltimore next season. Head Coach John Harbaugh said during an interview last week at the NFL Combine that McClain is in the team’s plans.
“He can be a part of this,” Harbaugh said. “I would expect him to be a part of this."
Leach, 32, is an 11-year veteran who spent the last three seasons in Baltimore. The bruising fullback was a two-time Pro Bowler with the Ravens and considered one of the best lead blockers in the NFL.
Leach tweeted “thanks for the memories” along with a photo collage of some Ravens moments after the news broke.

One or both may be back at Ozzie's price.

This is fair to them to let them go early before free agency starts 3/11.

I still don't get having Leach but not using him. If they are not going to use him than yea...let him go.

I still believe there is a place for a smash-mouth running game in today's NFL. You can humble a lot of defenses with it...especially with the "get smaller/faster trend" on lineman and linebackers of these times.

I like it Old School.

Yeah I agree there's room for road grading football... especially in the AFCN. IDK about Leach, we'd still be using two roster spots on a FB unless they convert Juice to a TE behind Pitta. Harbs made a point that this teams needs to get psychical and you don't get more physical than Leach so maybe he'll be back.

Totally sensible that we would cut them and I agree with every comment made here, but want to add one thing.

Why in the fuck was Leach signed to a 2 year deal before last season?! It looks like he was due 2.3 and we save 1.5 by cutting him, so it's only costing us 800k... but still! We had to know there was a high chance of this happening. Rare poor planning from Ozzie.

Leach won't be back. McClain might be.

That $5 million will be put to very good use.

Completely agree. Leach probably, at his age and cost, is not a good fit for the offense. On defense, I like McClain but his cap number was way too high.

I've been a fan of "Juice" since we drafted him and looked at his college tape, he laid some wood last year on special teams at times. But his versatility on offense is what has me excited about him. He can do too many things well to not have him on the field. He'll be very valuable in the passing game, has great hands and lines up all over the place, saw him catch some bubble screens in college, line up in the slot, line up as a TE and of course FB.