ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Bradshaw on Peyton: If you like losing Super Bowls, he’s your guy

papasmurfbell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/bradshaw-on-peyton-if-you-like-losing-super-bowls-hes-your-guy/

Former Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw says current Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning is great — as long as you stop watching after the regular season ends.

Bradshaw said during his his one-man show,America’s Favorite Dumb Blonde, that he views Manning as a regular-season star and a playoff choker.

“Peyton Manning, considered the best quarterback to play the game today. Nobody would argue with that — if you like winning good during the season and losing Super Bowls, that’s your guy,” Bradshaw said, via PFT Commenter.

Bradshaw rarely misses an opportunity to say that quarterbacks are judged based on winning Super Bowls, a viewpoint that may be slightly self-serving considering that Bradshaw, with four Super Bowl rings, is tied with Joe Montana for the most for any quarterback.

Of course, Bradshaw won those Super Bowl rings because he was on the best teams, not because he himself was the best quarterback. Although Bradshaw does have two Super Bowl MVPs to his credit, the 1970s Steelers won Super Bowls first and foremost with their defense. People forget that in 1974, the year the Steelers won their first Super Bowl, Bradshaw was only the starter for half the regular season, and the Steelers actually had a better record in the games he missed than the games he started. People forget that if Bradshaw hadn’t played so badly in so many playoff games, the Steelers could have won more than four Super Bowls: Among Bradshaw’s postseason stat lines were a 5-for-10, 80-yard, one-touchdown, two-interception game in a loss to the Dolphins, a 12-for-25, 167-yard, two-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Raiders, a 14-for-35, 176-yard, zero-touchdown, one-interception game in another loss to the Raiders, and a 19-for-37, 177-yard, one-touchdown, three-interception game in a loss to the Broncos.

For a guy who has a reputation as a clutch performer in big games, Bradshaw sure did turn in a lot of multiple-interception games in playoff losses.

But while Manning’s passing stats dwarf Bradshaw’s, and Manning’s regular-season accomplishments (including five MVPs and seven first-team All-Pros) far surpass those of Bradshaw (one MVP and one All-Pro), Bradshaw does have those four shiny rings on his fingers, while Manning only has one. That’s something Bradshaw will continue to remind audiences of, every chance he gets.

Well that translates to my philosophy about jokes or saying things about the dead. If someone makes jokes about them while they are alive why does it somehow change whne they die? Like Michael Jackson being a kid toucher jokes are funny when he was alive and the next die you can't speak ill of the dead.

That said if Bradshaw had an issue with Noll when he was alive then I respect that he stands by it when the man dies.

Bradshaw may be one of the luckier and most over rated players in history. He was an OK player on great teams.

Its hard to argue Manning's playoff and Super Bowl shortcomings but Bradshaw's comments are still pretty silly.

"if you like winning good during the season"

Sounds like he is trying to belittle Manning's regular season accomplishments to me as well.

"and losing Super Bowls"

You have to get to Super Bowls to lose them, not everyone can do that.

Bradshaw is as good of an actor as he was a football player.

Edited by Spen

I have never understood why Bradshaw was in the HOF.

I agree, even for that era his numbers are not good. Same thing with Lynn Swann. I like him and think he was decent, but not HOF worthy.

Average players getting awarded for team greatness.

Sure but I think it was less him and more a moster run game and an amazing D. He was along for the ride. I make basically the same evaluation of Joe. I do have to say as dopey as Terry was he seems to have made better decisions. Granted I was not alive for a lot of his career and he was done before I really saw the game but tapes I have seen he seems like something of an assassin.

Bradshaw got in on what yinz love Joe for he win football games. I mean the guy does have 4 rings. Swann got in due to his playoff performances

100% agree, he didnt throw the pretttiest ball, he was hard nosed, blue collar thats what got him in the HOF..

You have to look at situations also. Did a QB do something stupid to lose. Peyton has. Marino lost in the playoffs mostly because he had no run game. Favre is overrated. To often he was reckless. What Anderson are you talking about?

Ken Anderson. So what is your excuse for Steve Young? You do know that more goes into a quarterback's mistake than just him making a bad throw or even a poor decision, right? You can't get to the playoffs nor a Super Bowl with crappy play from the quarterback or a very, very good defense & special teams.

Neither of which Anderson nor Marino had, neither did Young more of his career. The defense for GB and even Min with Favre were average at best. Over rated my butt. Over rated is Joe Namath, him being in the Hall pretty much negates the Hall....

• Upvote 1

Honestly I don't even remember Anderson's play. Was he a caretaker? It was another time when you could have a caretaker. Young was a fantastic QB. He had zero help in TB. Namath has zero reason being in the HOF. He is in fro 1 game. That is BS.

Anderson was far more than a caretaker, look up his stats. They rank pretty high among those in the Hall... He should have been in long ago. Young in TB was undisciplined, his words, he needed the time spent on the bench behind Montanna, again, his words. The knock on him once he took over was that he could not win in the post season, until he finally did it, and as the video from that Super Bowl win shows, he got the monkey off of his back.

Young couldn't get threw Dallas until Jerry ws good enough to break what wasn't broken. That Dallas team was one of the greatest of all time. It had everything. Top what 5 offense and a top I think 3 D. Then Policy was pushed out and FA took apart the 9ers. I know some think Anderson should be in but not a caretaker. There are already to many of them in.

Kenny Anderson was pretty good Qb. For a long time he had the single season completion percentage record.

I think Steve Young in his prime was one of the best ever. Admittedly his prime was shorter than a lot of other QBs due to bad teams, being Montana's backup, and the injuries later on; but during it he was fantastic.