ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It is now time to talk about the draft

tsylvester

I disagree about Joes deal. either Joe turns into a world beater by 2016 or he has to take a pay cut. Will he? I don't think so. So that means being cut. No return for the investment in him. Lots of dead money.

Again, before Gronk got back, Brady, earlier this year and all of last year had his worst qbr and completion percent in his career. Prognoticators were saying the Pats are done, Brady maybe done, yadda,yadda, yadda...

Gronk gets back, look at Brady's numbers, they are sic! Why? Because he finally had a weapon to take pressure off of the other, pedestrian receivers, leaving them one on one and with off coverage making the catches easier, less contested.

My point, since Bolden left, who was this team's Gronk and then again since Pita got hurt, that is two very reliable, trust worthy receivers for the offense.

Because Steve Smith is the only receiver Joe can count on to be where he is suppose to be and on time, Joe now has to hold the ball longer and wait for the receivers to get to the spot before he throws it, rather than throwing with antisipation. This makes a hiuge difference.,

Proof of this is in the games against weak secondaries who don't play bump & run, who don't press and who play a lot of soft zone. This is when Torrey, Smith Sr, and the others have big games.

So give Joe a "Gronk", an athletic tight end, a receiver who is a fighter on the outside and taller than 5'-6" so there is a bigger catch radius. One who will be on time because they can get off of the line of scrimmage with ease and run a route that is difficult to read because of the way he runs it. See, even when Torrey, with his speed, makes a double move, the db doesn't buy it because Torrey only has speed and it takes him a good 15 yards to get to full speed. So the double move is make "soft" easy to read and slows Torrey down; easy to defend. He also can't hand fight and get away from a little holding.

So you can say Joe needs to have a break out year, which he already did, but first get him a decent receiver & or tight end who can work against difficult db's. This will make a world of difference, just look at Brady's numbers for proof....

Nope, they have gone that route (pun intended, unavoidable) in the past few drafts, look what it has gotten them; two terrible safeties and no depth at corner. So stick with the defense as is, and build the offense so that it doesn't come down to the officials or a defense stop at the end of the game. Enough is enough. The offensive line is good enough and has some depth. runningbacks can be had for cheap undrafted. Even the defensive line has good youth if they chose to keep it.

After Ozzie retires at the end of this season, maybe the new GM will see it my way, it is the right way and only way.... :bleh:

Oz drafted quality DB's in Smith and Webb. Brooks is a rookie 3rd rounder so I wont give up on him yet. Elam is run support SS. We've been spoiled on draftees like Reed. Mosley looks like the real deal. Oz's use to be money in the mid rounds and has been striking out.

But no matter who Joe has had he has never been a world beater. He is a glorified game mang.

He is clearly a quarterback a team can win a super bowl with, that has been proven. Compare his stats career wise, to Brady, arguably the best ever. Brady has a career qbr of 96.1, to Joe's 84.3, Brady with 377 tds to 136 picks, Joe, 135 tds to 84 picks. Completion %, Flacco is 60.4 % Brady 63.5 %

Brady has done this over 201 games to Flacco's 104 games.

I think we can easily say, Brady has had a better offensive line for most of his career, while Joe has not. Brady, had had the better group of offnesive weapons over his career, while Joe has not.

Is Flacco better than Brady, Peyton, Aaron Rodgers? No, not yet, may never be, just might be one day. All of that doesn't matter it is for the fans to discuss, but he is, to use an old phrase, a franchise quarterback. You may not like the money, but in today's NFL that is what it costs for a quarterback who can lead a team to and win a Super Bowl.

Oz drafted quality DB's in Smith and Webb. Brooks is a rookie 3rd rounder so I wont give up on him yet. Elam is run support SS. We've been spoiled on draftees like Reed. Mosley looks like the real deal. Oz's use to be money in the mid rounds and has been striking out.

Brooks was drafted and considered by many, Oz included, to be a steal in the 3rd and to be a starter right away. In college, he could not cover, same with Elam, that was the knock on both of them and my biggest gripe when Ozzie drafted them both. They are both over rated and neither is a starter in this league in my opinion, what we see is what we will get as long as they play in the league.

I'm not spoiled by Reed, he is a hall of fame player, they don't come around very often. But there were several other players, safeties, in the draft the Ravens could have drafted, several corners they could have gotten instead of trading up for an often injured slow, small wide out, or a tight end they could have had via the undrafted free agent mode. Gilmore is simply a blocking end, ok, he can catch a ball thrown right at him, but he has no speed, no quickness, no athleticsism. Those are the traits you draft in the 3rd & 4th round.

Ozzie is slippping, has been, and it shows in last year's team and now is rearing its head this year. Poor drafts lead to poor teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And I go back to if one guy makes a bad move do you have to make a bad move?

It was not a bad move, last year they had one of the worst offensive lines in the league. What, you expect Joe to be the best in the league with that crap and no wide outs? Look how well Brady did last year, into the first part of this year with crap..... Again, Brady is my proof; give him crap for blockers and wide outs, Brady is nothing, yet you expect Joe to be betetr than Brady? Come on papa, you are smarter than this.

But no matter who Joe has had he has never been a world beater. He is a glorified game mang.

'No matter who Joe has had..; You absolutely forgot the playoffs and Super Bowl game.

But I don't why we bother arguing with you because we never change each other's mind. It's a futile exercise.

Many players have gotten hot for a 4-5 run but they revert to what they inately are aventually. This is Joe.

Come on papa, I showed you Brady's completion % compared to Joe's for the career, pretty close to even. This when Joe has had less to work with. And in your own words,

But no matter who Joe has had he has never been a world beater. He is a glorified game mang

He has had nothing compared to Brady. So give Joe a decent tight end and a good receiver, then we can talk. Yes, any player can have a good stretch, but doing so in the playoffs, on the road then in the Super Bowl, is much more difficult than in the regular season as Peyton Manning can attest.

So hopefully the Ravens will draft a Phaoh Brown type tight end and atleast a very quick slot guy like Shaq Washington who can be used out of the back field on jet sweeps because unlike Torrey or even Jones, he can turn the corner on an ant, let a lone a dime..... Gey Kevin White and look out.....

So Brady when he was young had the epic tandem of Brown and Branch is totally amazing? Really Brady had an amazing corpe for a few yrs and Brady was setting records. Joe hasn't been in the same solar system of being that good.

Um, yes because the offensive schemes with Charlie were outstanding, if you remember, he was making throws to wide open receivers who had quicks and could get away from man coverage with ease. Joe has not had that luxary, nice try Skip.

Back to the draft, the topic of this thread. Since it looks as if, as some expected, the Ravens will have a top 15 at least, draft pick.Jamison Crowder, wr Duke, tough, great hands, good leaping ability even for his height, 5"-9" 175, like Simth Sr, he plays much, much bigger. He is very quick, great jitters, runs great routes, gets off the jam with ease because of his quickness and strong hands.

Yep, have to start with the offense, there is too much wrong with the defense to worry about drafting another bust safety, corner or medicore linebacker....

I don't know about top 15. I think the Ravens will be just missing the PO. That should put them in the 17-20 range.

If they go WR they should get a big one. The 6-4 monster that everyone is picking up now.

That would be Kevin White, who I mentioned on the first page.

Grub, this draft, is the underclassmen come out, will be the best draft for wide outs in the history of the draft; yes, you can quote me on that. Recivers today are mostly NFL ready, some, the top 15 wide outs, just need route work, easy to teach not even the Ravens can mess them up.

A Db, since many think we should draft one, another Kevin White, he is from TCU, 5-10", 175, quick fast, recognizes route combinations quickly, good hands, good leaping ability. Saturday he shut down the much bigger and faster Kevin White of WVA. The Db White should be there in later rounds, not many will look at him over other needs me thinks....

I followed since the Ravens won their first super bowl, watched every game with my Dad as he recovered from cancer...was a great season with great memories...

When they lose, I feel like I've wasted my time. Can't blame anything in particular other than losing time to do other things.

I've kinda become a bit disenchanted with football.

Me too, with the pro game. Between the rule changes, the terrible officiating and my biggest issue, all the commercial breaks. After a kick off, after chanage of posession, after a score, then after the subsiquent kickoff, injuries, reviews, ridiculous.

I much prefer the college game now,the atmospher is better and with as many as 10 games on at the same time, I can switch back & forth and rarely see a commercial. I can see a time when I no longer watch NFL football, something I would never think possible. I've been in "love" with the game since I was a small boy watching it with my father.

Even night games now, I don't watch or watch very little of. Sleep is more important to me. If the Ravens are playing at night I might stay up to watch it to the half (like last night's game). Televisoon on the whole is much the same. I dvr shows now to get away from all the commercials....