ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

It is now time to talk about the draft

tsylvester

I am listening T, just not buying your theory, you want an instant impact player, you better be drafting 1-20.

It's not really a theory any longer. This past year proves it out. we seen glimpses over the past few years of receivers who normally struggle their first 3 years, being impact players right away.

This next draft class will be even better. 8-10, maybe even 12 receivers who can step right in to a team in need. Slot guys go even deeper.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not too early to talk draft either. I named some very good receivers, who have great hands, great speed, and perhaps more importantly, more quicks and body control than anyone currently on the team.

I figure the Ravens need one of them, a tight end, athletic, a middle backer, a safety, corner help and pending what they do with their free agent defensive linemen, one of them too,,,,, in that order, thoughts? :bleh:

I see the top need as WR/TE. A dynamic playmaker. Gilmore is sort of a possession guy. Whichever position is available when they are around they need to look seriously at. With Mosely Smith and Brown I don't see a huge need at the middle. They have drafted a safety high the last 2 drafts. Plus they have Hill. Jimmy coming back will help at CB.
So I see the needs at 1a and b as WR/TE, 3 CB, 4 QB backup or of the future if Joe gets bullheaded in 2016, 5 OLB, 6 DE, 7 and random depth.

Dorial Green-Beckham*, WR, Oklahoma
Height: 6-6. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.55.

This is the high risk high reward guy. He can be had easy for the Ravens since he was thrown off OU. This is the type of guy the Ravens need though.

Jaelen Strong*, WR, Arizona State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 212.
Projected 40 Time: 4.52.

This would be a solid pick. It wouldn't be a Beckam type but he would help.

He should slide to 26. He seems like Torrey but more upside.

Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
Height: 6-1. Weight: 210.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.

He should slide to 26. He seems like Torrey but more upside.

Devin Funchess*, WR/TE, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 230.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

This would be an intriguing pick to team with Gilmore.

Pharaoh Brown, TE, Oregon
Height: 6-6. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.69.

I like this as an option.

Maxx Williams**, TE, Minnesota
Height: 6-4. Weight: 250.
Projected 40 Time: 4.63.

I figure if th eRavens go high for a WR or TE it will be with Williams.

Nick O'Leary, TE, Florida State
Height: 6-3. Weight: 247.
Projected 40 Time: 4.64.

Clive Walford, TE, Miami

Height: 6-4. Weight: 258.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.

I don't think White will last to the 26th pick. He has Julio Jones type talent, some, Cris Carter, have compared him to Randay Moss with a better work ethic.

Strong is likely to go in the top 15 (maybe top 10) also, along with Cooper from Bama who should go top 5...

However, there are many the Ravens could target at 26 for wide out who can come right in and make a huge impact next season. The big question will be what they do wth all their free agents, especially my favorite, McPhee. If he walks, they might look to fill his role with some one like Dupree from Kentucky, who has played defensive end and outside backer. He has the size, 6-4, 264 and the speed to go along with a good wing span and leaping ability to fight off blockers, to get around the edge. He would be a good replacement for McPhee, who is more versitile however. But Dupree is a smart cookie, he could pick things up quickly.

Pending his pro day and the combine, he is currently slated for the 2nd, but at 26, he would be a good pick.

I would hope the Ravens go after or "rank" either Shaq Washington from Cinci, who has bliserting speed & quickness, great body control, big strong hands and is not affraid to give his body up nor to fight to make a catch. or as Papa mentioned, tight end Pharoh Brown from Oregon. Where he will go is a mystery right now as he is recovering from a broken leg. Julius Thomas comes to mind with him,a great talent, though not the best blockers. Lippet from MSU is another option for wide out. Or Gerod Holliman, safety from Louisville.

If he is still around in the late 4th to 5th rounds I would like to see us pick Buck Allen from USC. He looks like he is a perfect fit for Kub's system. He runs like Forsett but with a bit more power.

They are going to need a RB somewhere in the draft, preferably around the 5th round. Taliaferro has what it takes but you always need to back up a RB. I haven't seen Touissant do much at least so far.

Got to bring McPhee back. Suggs and Dumerville are ageing.

They had an outstanding season...but let's not get caught flat footed if they get old and slow all at once...which could happen as soon as next season.

Bring Forsett back. Draft a running back.

Have Torrey check the market and then sign him. I think he'll be right price.

I don't know how the find a #1 receiver. Maybe they get lucky in the draft because the great ones in free agency will be out of the Ravens price range.

Obviously they need 4 new faces in the secondary.

They also must get a pass catching, chain moving TE.

So McPhee gets 4 yrs $48 mil with 15 upfront, Justin gets 3 yrs $46.5 12 upfront, and Torrey gets 5 yrs $40 14 upfront you think the Ravens should follow?

That's too much money.

Here's a great article by Preston on this subject...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-preston-ravens-column-0113-20150112-column.html

I think McPhee has some real money coming his way. It is hard to say with RB's now. Their value is in flux at the moment. Someone could come strong to him. I could see Oak going hard for Torrey. They run a vertical attack and that is what he does best.

True...but I think they are leery of Maryland players after Heyward-Bey.