Devin Funchess

Ht. 6'4" Wt. 232 lb.

Arm Length 33 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 3/4 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.70 sec

Bench Press 17 reps

Vert. Jump 38.5 inch

Broad Jump 122.0 inch

Benjamin had a faster 40, was a little bigger, with bigger hands and a longer wingspan. However, Funchess is also a very big receiver with a long wingspan and big hands. He also had a better bench, vertical jump and broad jump than Benjamin, indicating more explosiveness. Last year experts suggested Benjamin could be seen as a tight-end, much like Funchess this year.

Another interesting point, with Pitta's status unknown, Funchess could be a better fit for us than most teams. He could fill two holes for us and find playing time as both a flex tight-end and receiver.

Ok, so while I am not very high on Funchess here is an interesting comparison:

Kelvin Benjamin

Ht. 6'5" Wt. 240 lb.

Arm Length 34 7/8 in

Hand Size 10 1/4 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.61 sec

Bench Press 13 reps

Vert. Jump 32.5 inch

Broad Jump 119.0 inch

Devin Funchess

Ht. 6'4" Wt. 232 lb.

Arm Length 33 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 3/4 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.70 sec

Bench Press 17 reps

Vert. Jump 38.5 inch

Broad Jump 122.0 inch

Benjamin had a faster 40, was a little bigger, with bigger hands and a longer wingspan. However, Funchess is also a very big receiver with a long wingspan and big hands. He also had a better bench, vertical jump and broad jump than Benjamin, indicating more explosiveness. Last year experts suggested Benjamin could be seen as a tight-end, much like Funchess this year.

Another interesting point, with Pitta's status unknown, Funchess could be a better fit for us than most teams. He could fill two holes for us and find playing time as both a flex tight-end and receiver.

How about this comparison:

Jaelen Strong

Ht. 6'2" Wt. 217 lb.

Arm Length 32 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.44 sec

Bench Press DNP

Vert. Jump 42.0 inch

Broad Jump 123.0 inch

Devin Funchess

Ht. 6'4" Wt. 232 lb.

Arm Length 33 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 3/4 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.70 sec

Bench Press 17 reps

Vert. Jump 38.5 inch

Broad Jump 122.0 inch

Strong is a little smaller but faster and more explosive. He had good production in college and has good hands even if they are smaller than Funchess. Strong is no doubt a WR whereas Funchess is a tweener. I really want Strong if he is available. I think he is going to be great in the Pros.

One more thing on Funchess: if you take out his first game against a lower level of competition, Appalachian State, his stats are extremely pedestrian (Funchess had over 100 yards and 3 out of his 4 total TDs against Appalachian State). I am not sure where his first round grade is coming from. I'll pass.

One more thing on Funchess: if you take out his first game against a lower level of competition, Appalachian State, his stats are extremely pedestrian (Funchess had over 100 yards and 3 out of his 4 total TDs against Appalachian State). I am not sure where his first round grade is coming from. I'll pass.

Mel has had a love affair with Funchess for a couple of years now. Between his measurable and his name, Mel was melmerized and is sticking to his potential to be a good wide out/tight end.

Theoretically he is a match-up nightmare no matter where he plays. But those hands, ala Clarance Moore will leave many a qb's from trusting him.

How about this comparison:

Jaelen Strong

Ht. 6'2" Wt. 217 lb.

Arm Length 32 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.44 sec

Bench Press DNP

Vert. Jump 42.0 inch

Broad Jump 123.0 inch

Devin Funchess

Ht. 6'4" Wt. 232 lb.

Arm Length 33 1/2 in

Hand Size 9 3/4 in

40 Yd. Dash 4.70 sec

Bench Press 17 reps

Vert. Jump 38.5 inch

Broad Jump 122.0 inch

Strong is a little smaller but faster and more explosive. He had good production in college and has good hands even if they are smaller than Funchess. Strong is no doubt a WR whereas Funchess is a tweener. I really want Strong if he is available. I think he is going to be great in the Pros.

If he's there at 26 we should take Strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Funchess runs a 4.48 at his pro day, however look at his SS number: 4.57. Ouch! Given Funchess only performed the drills he did poorly in at the combine, he certainly practiced the SS, so he is simply not quick. I worry about his ability to cut in and out of his routes.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031215aac.html

Funchess runs a 4.48 at his pro day, however look at his SS number: 4.57. Ouch! Given Funchess only performed the drills he did poorly in at the combine, he certainly practiced the SS, so he is simply not quick. I worry about his ability to cut in and out of his routes.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031215aac.html

Yep, the splits are what to look for, the cone drills as well. They tell you how quick some one is, if they can get seperation with more than just running straight down the field. Fucnhess can't,

Actually, I'm much more concerned now about TE than WR. We're very thin there and don't have a proven one. That's important for the style of offense we run. The worst part is, TE is so shallow in the draft and in FA. But there's tons of WRs in the draft.

Gee wonder what jimmy orr and ray berry ran?

Different era, speed was not a big deal back then, but I would bet they were in the 4.58-5.3 range.

As for Max, good yes, but for me, not so far better than the others, Wilford for example, that you would take in the first round when you can get the same or almost the same in the 2, 3, 4th round.

Tre McBride, William & Mary- 6'-210, long arms, strong, very strong. Reports are that he ran a 4.3, but scouts say game tape doesn't show that speed... His down fall is routes, but route running can be taught, ...http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tre-mcbride?id=2552428

Strengths

Good NFL size and physically dominated opponents when the ball was in the air. Makes circus catches look easy and appears fearless in the air. Elite high-point ability with outstanding body control, ball tracking and concentration. Plucks the ball out of the air. Excellent catch radius that saved his quarterback one or two incompletions per game. Will catch in traffic with ability to tuck-in, absorb blow and hang onto ball. Adjusts well to low throws. Competitive runner after the catch. Improved route runner from 2013 to 2014. Adjusts to find open space in zone and has feel for defender. Kick-return ability.

Weaknesses Rumored to have blazing speed, but doesn't show up on tape. Rarely runs away from defense on vertical routes or after catch. Average acceleration off of release. Rounds off routes and won't get much acceleration out of breaks. Needs to improve selling routes. Balance at top of his routes is inconsistent because he will ride too high into cuts. Scouts say inability to separate is biggest concern for him.

Tre McBride. William & Mary ? I live near Williamsburg, follow Va college football closely, and heard very little of the cat. Still, W & M has produced a few NFL players - Darren Sharper, the most recent notable - but few and far between.

You never know - maybe this is another one of Ozzie's diamond in the rough ?

Lets face it Oz has wifted on

yodoz2%20copy.jpg"I just might know a thing or 2 about Tight Ends."

Lets face it Oz has whiffed on several WR/TE over the years. Pitta/Heap's injuries weren't his fault but Ed Dickson is. Torrey was a decent pick but was never a true #1. The fact that we're entering the draft and absolutely need a TE/WR is scaring me. Oz's true bread n butter is drafting Oline men and linebackers.

Tre McBride, William & Mary- 6'-210, long arms, strong, very strong. Reports are that he ran a 4.3, but scouts say game tape doesn't show that speed... His down fall is routes, but route running can be taught, ...http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/tre-mcbride?id=2552428

Very interesting prospect. His 40 time plus his split numbers indicate he should have no problem running routes. Looks like a well rounded receiver.

Looking at this draft class, I'd rather take my chances drafting a couple of guys high than signing a washed up vet from the remaining FA pool.

Very interesting prospect. His 40 time plus his split numbers indicate he should have no problem running routes. Looks like a well rounded receiver.

Looking at this draft class, I'd rather take my chances drafting a couple of guys high than signing a washed up vet from the remaining FA pool.

As would I. It is high time this franchise develop a receiver they drafted. Not sure what happened to them since leaving Cleveland, but darn did they lose out on how to pick receivers and develop them... There are plenty to chose from.... Tre is one in a long list. I can only think he didn't get proper coaching on how to use his speed & quickness to get open, rather than rely on his strength and the way the game is called in college...