Devin Funchess

Devin Funchess
Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: Michigan
Class: Jr
HT: 6-4
WT: 235
POS: WR
Analysis: It's not really fair to call Funchess a tight end based on where he typically lines up, but at more than 6-foot-4 and at about 235 pounds with the ability to simply overpower most cornerbacks, he's not exactly a flanker, either. What I'd call him is a perpetual matchup problem, a guy you can move around, with the quickness to run crisp routes and easily create space if linebackers try to cover him and enough size to make cornerbacks have to go through him for the ball. Joe Flacco can use a weapon like Funchess, as could Gary Kubiak, assuming he passes on any other overtures.

That is to high.

^^^^^^^I had my eye on this guy, going to look at his college tape in a little, Also Dorial Green Beckham(DGB) 6-5 225 , if he can only put the weed down.

It isn't just weed. He broke into his GF's apartment and shoved her RM. After the Rice situation I don't see a #1 being used on him. If he can be had in the 3rd or later he is a steal there.

For whats its worth Kiper has released his first Mock Draft

Devin Funchess

Devin Funchess
Baltimore Ravens (10-6)
COLLEGE: Michigan
Class: Jr
HT: 6-4
WT: 235
POS: WR
Analysis: It's not really fair to call Funchess a tight end based on where he typically lines up, but at more than 6-foot-4 and at about 235 pounds with the ability to simply overpower most cornerbacks, he's not exactly a flanker, either. What I'd call him is a perpetual matchup problem, a guy you can move around, with the quickness to run crisp routes and easily create space if linebackers try to cover him and enough size to make cornerbacks have to go through him for the ball. Joe Flacco can use a weapon like Funchess, as could Gary Kubiak, assuming he passes on any other overtures.

As Papa said, too high for Funches, who is not very good with his route running, look closely at Kipper's write up; quickness to, not that he does run crisp routes. He is also not a good blocker what so ever, and has suspect hands. I like the kid, he is the type, athletic, of tight end the team needs, but they can get him in the 2nd, maybe even the 3rd pending on how the draft goes.

With that said, I wouldn't mind the Ravens drafting him, the potential is enormous and he could play right away in certain situations.

Looks like a WR/TE hybrid. All draft picks look good on highlight reels. I hope we go offense in the first 2 rounds. Corners take time to develop. Lets get a CB/DB on free angency and get Joe some more weapons.

I'd like to see that too.

Aside from Hill, that doesn't leave anyone does it Max ? They just need to get back to the basics of tackling the ball carrier instead of the pigskin.

Had they tackled Amendola on those critical plays, we might be playing this Sunday for the trip to Az.

Do you think part of the problem is the DB'S playing 10 yards off the ball? I've seen tons of plays where the WR will catch/turn/juke before the DB is even in position to tackle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk

I don't like highlights. Even marginal guys can look good when they play against a bad DB or something. He is a load with the ball in his hands. A few things I don't like. He looks like a lazy blocker. His hands don't look great. He is not a dynamic runner. I don't think he can play on the outside. I think he has to bulk up and play TE.

Do you think part of the problem is the DB'S playing 10 yards off the ball? I've seen tons of plays where the WR will catch/turn/juke before the DB is even in position to tackle.

I think they play 10 yards off because they can't cover. Pees' thinking is that its better to have a completed pass in front of you where you can wrap the receiver up when he catches rather than behind you for a big gainer. Of course, as has been said, you have to tackle immediately at the catch and our guys can't do that for whatever reason.

Poor tackling, inability to cover, and no press coverage are the issues. Pretty much shows how crappy our DBs are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryBOWI0eNbk

I don't like highlights. Even marginal guys can look good when they play against a bad DB or something. He is a load with the ball in his hands. A few things I don't like. He looks like a lazy blocker. His hands don't look great. He is not a dynamic runner. I don't think he can play on the outside. I think he has to bulk up and play TE.

I'd have to agree with you after watching that.

I agree with everyone on Funchess as well. Seems like a big risk and I'm sure there is better value drafting a true tight end later in the draft.

I am really starting to like the receivers in this draft. Jaelen Strong is another big, strong guy with a huge catch radius and attacks the ball. Right now Strong and DGB are my favorites in the first round.

That way we can concentrate on db with our top 2 picks

Only if they met Oz's criteria of best player available. Good idea though. Might take $8 million a year to sign Cobb.

One way or another they need to reduce Ngata's and Webb's cap hit for next year to free up money.

That way we can concentrate on db with our top 2 picks

We sign Cobb then we can't afford Torrey. I think our best bet is to re-sign Torrey and draft a big playmaking receiver early in the draft. We already have a stud #1 CB, depth can be found from rounds 2-8. The receivers are going to go quick.

We sign Cobb then we can't afford Torrey. I think our best bet is to re-sign Torrey and draft a big playmaking receiver early in the draft. We already have a stud #1 CB, depth can be found from rounds 2-8. The receivers are going to go quick.

Cap goes up a few mil, we can sign Torrey long term, its not

Like he'll be getting a #1 pick payday

Speaking of the cap, does the league give the 2015 limit before free agency starts?

Yes, they announced it at the league meetings in December. Estimated to be between $138.6M-$141.8M. Some expect it to go a bit higher, even speculating that by 2016 is will be upwards of $160 mil.

The big jump should be happening soon.

Yeah, as we talked about a few months ago, I also expect the NFLPA and NFL to agree to some sort of franchise excempt for the top player, such as qb's. Those contracts are getting out of control. Word has it Wilson and Luck, who both had horrible games when their teams needed them most, though Wilson won, are going to get close to if not more than $25 mil per season....

The Ravens have a lot work to do, they have the $9 mil of dead money from Rice, as it is now, going into next year, they are at about what, $138 million now, not counting Rice's hit, which would leave them, if it just went up to $138.6, just $380k under.

I've never been a fan of the way they work the cap here in B-more. Those escalators they got hit with Dumervil and a few other players were quite silly and cost them this year. I would love to know how much they settled with Rice for, that number will count against the '14 season too....

Yeah, as we talked about a few months ago, I also expect the NFLPA and NFL to agree to some sort of franchise excempt for the top player, such as qb's. Those contracts are getting out of control. Word has it Wilson and Luck, who both had horrible games when their teams needed them most, though Wilson won, are going to get close to if not more than $25 mil per season....

The Ravens have a lot work to do, they have the $9 mil of dead money from Rice, as it is now, going into next year, they are at about what, $138 million now, not counting Rice's hit, which would leave them, if it just went up to $138.6, just $380k under.

I've never been a fan of the way they work the cap here in B-more. Those escalators they got hit with Dumervil and a few other players were quite silly and cost them this year. I would love to know how much they settled with Rice for, that number will count against the '14 season too....

I heard between 3.2 and 3.8 million was our settlement. Also are we not getting relief from the 2015 cap number from rice? I swore when this went down the NFL said we would.

How could you not be a fan of our capologist? They are the best in the business

Edited by cravnravn