ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

My take on the season

varaven45

The offense is still hard to get a read on. The O-Line looks good one week and then sucks the next. Joe holds the ball too long but then he has no receivers open or can't trust them to be in the right spot if he attempts to throw them open. Whether that is a scheme thing or the receivers suck is up for debate.

The thing that worries me the most though is our weak ass secondary. FFS one of our safeties was getting pushed around by a kicker and punter and crying to the refs about it at the end of the Steelers game. That's all you need to know about the "character" of our secondary. Outside of Jimmy and Webb I don't see anyone else that plays like a Raven at least not yet. I still hold out hope for Elam and maybe Brooks gets it going (he is only a rookie) but I don't see any leadership back there and that is a huge problem.

Part of me was proud that at least the D had a bit of fight about them and I thought some of the penalties against the Steelers where a bit egregious on behalf of the refs but the other part of me thinks Harbaugh needs to get a hold of that shit. He should have been getting the guys to calm down. I think he is gone at the end of the season. Too many whispers about him flirting with the Michigan Wolverines last offseason and then the stuff with Ray Rice. He didn't appear to tow the party line and I'm sure he wasn't too happy about being thrown to the media wolves all by himself. I could see a "mutual" parting of the ways this offseason and I'm sure Brady Hoke is getting the chop so that job will be available. He can go reunite with his boy Mattison and his "prevent nothing" D.

Onto Ozzie and I think he made a huge mistake not taking a CB reasonably early in last year's draft. There is a lot of work to be done this offseason and I'm not sure that Ozzie is the man to do it. Again, I don't think he towed the party line over the Ray Rice issue and although he still has more hits than misses, the failure to ever draft a #1 WR has been a major issue holding back this offense. Having to trade or pick up vets to fill the role has worked but never been a long term solution (Boldin and Smith Snr). Mason filled the role but was a possession guy that was never a true #1.

I do think Joe should have thrown with the staff in the off season. He needed to work on timing with these guys. There simply is not enough time in the new CBA schedule to do that.

We have just an average offense with average talent. Losing Pitta was crucial as Kubes loves the 2 TE offense. Crockett is too new to tell what he's going to be and they don't seem to be playing him a lot especially the way Pitta did. Losing Rice may have hurt...I'm not sure if he's got anything left anyway.

The Defense is considerably below average because of the secondary. The secondary is hurting so bad because Jimmy's out and Webb just returned and I still don't think he's back to the level he used to play at yet. There's some talent that's very good on the line and the linebackers do their job for the most part. They obviously need another CB and 2 safeties because what they got now ain't cutting it.

It's too much to fix in one year. Look for another or worse down year next year as the FO tries to assemble the talent for these needs.

Having said that, they could still manage 9-10 wins this season because the schedule is heavy on poor teams the rest of the way. The combined wins/losses of our remaining competition are 26-33.

Oh, they have no leadership on the D and I'm not sure if Smith SR is providing enough leadership to be called a leader on the offense. And ideally you'd want your QB to provide leadership but that's not ever going to be Flacco's style. It just isn't in his personality to do it.

We have just an average offense with average talent. Losing Pitta was crucial as Kubes loves the 2 TE offense. Crockett is too new to tell what he's going to be and they don't seem to be playing him a lot especially the way Pitta did. Losing Rice may have hurt...I'm not sure if he's got anything left anyway.

The Defense is considerably below average because of the secondary. The secondary is hurting so bad because Jimmy's out and Webb just returned and I still don't think he's back to the level he used to play at yet. There's some talent that's very good on the line and the linebackers do their job for the most part. They obviously need another CB and 2 safeties because what they got now ain't cutting it.

It's too much to fix in one year. Look for another or worse down year next year as the FO tries to assemble the talent for these needs.

Having said that, they could still manage 9-10 wins this season because the schedule is heavy on poor teams the rest of the way.

Oh, they have no leadership on the D and I'm not sure if Smith SR is providing enough leadership to be called a leader on the offense. And ideally you'd want your QB to provide leadership but that's not ever going to be Flacco's style. It just isn't in his personality to do it.

Basically agree on all points. Since it will take a couple of yrs to fix the problems why bring Suggs back? If guys aren't going to help you into the time when you expect to be good why keep those expensive pieces around?

Boldin is playing with a surplus of talent...especially last year. This year he has 2 TDs....

Give Joe that line last year, with Davis/Crabtree/Gore...yeah, I think you'd get some pretty comparable numbers.

Was he? I can't remember as last season was one long slow burn of hell...:)

But still...Boldin/Davis/Gore AND a good line. We had a bum RB, Torrey "So nice, but can't run a route" Smith and Ed Dickson, PLUS NO LINE

Until Jimmy Smith comes back 100% healthy and Webb is 100% back to his old self, this current Ravens secondary is the worst in the history of this organization. Not one on the field intelligent leader to QB and get these guys into the right position. Even if they are in the right position, they can't make a play.

But...they are great Witnesses.

They do an excellent job watching receivers run past them. They run after them and are the first to greet them in the end zone.

They are so dumb that they wore Mean Joe Green T shirts under their jerseys last night. For real!

The Ravens can't hope to be more than a .500 team with the current secondary. This group in the secondary should not be in the NFL.

Remember the days when 23 points was more than enough for a guaranteed win?

Gone With the Wind.

35 isn't enough now.

The O line must be fixed. 6 men could not block 5. Part of that is on Kubiak for not running. They ran 18 times...threw 45...perfect Ravens formula for a loss.

Joe is hot and cold for sure. But given time...like the playoff run....and he can waste a defense. Good QB's look great with good pass protection. They look average and mistake prone without it.

And yes....for the passing game to work, explosive, play making and reliable pass catching receivers are needed. Campanaro was on his way there. Steve Smith is there. Torrey can't run routes and the rest are too slow.

It's an average team in today's NFL.

And that's the whole point...it's an average team...not all Joe's fault....if Rasta made any other point, other than that, then maybe more people would take him seriously...

It may be an average team in your estimation but it certainly is being QBed by an overpaid average QB who still cannot recognize a safety blitz after 7 years in the league nor get on the same page with his receivers. Solve the QB problem and even the HC problem and get back to championship football.

Until Jimmy Smith comes back 100% healthy and Webb is 100% back to his old self, this current Ravens secondary is the worst in the history of this organization. Not one on the field intelligent leader to QB and get these guys into the right position. Even if they are in the right position, they can't make a play.

But...they are great Witnesses.

They do an excellent job watching receivers run past them. They run after them and are the first to greet them in the end zone.

They are so dumb that they wore Mean Joe Green T shirts under their jerseys last night. For real!

The Ravens can't hope to be more than a .500 team with the current secondary. This group in the secondary should not be in the NFL.

Remember the days when 23 points was more than enough for a guaranteed win?

Gone With the Wind.

35 isn't enough now.

The O line must be fixed. 6 men could not block 5. Part of that is on Kubiak for not running. They ran 18 times...threw 45...perfect Ravens formula for a loss.

Joe is hot and cold for sure. But given time...like the playoff run....and he can waste a defense. Good QB's look great with good pass protection. They look average and mistake prone without it.

And yes....for the passing game to work, explosive, play making and reliable pass catching receivers are needed. Campanaro was on his way there. Steve Smith is there. Torrey can't run routes and the rest are too slow.

It's an average team in today's NFL.

Max, it's what I said before the season began - 7 to 8 wins - with a botton out season this year or next. If Oz or future GM has extraordinary draft or FA acquisitions, we could start to ascend sooner. Otherwise, it's a grind it out 7-9 or 8-8 campaign this year and next. Afterwards, we put the Rice crap behind us, clean up the team and find Raven type players.

Because the offense is a big reason why we gave up 43 points.

You know... historically I would agree with this kind of a statement in many games, because our offense's inability to even maintain a possession would put our D in a horrible spot.

But I simply don't think it's true based on last night's game. With the exception of the pick and fumble, the D failed because the D failed. And as this thread, like so many, as turned into an anti-Joe discussion, obviously the fumble is as much Joe's thought as the interception was.

We gave up 43 points because our secondary couldn't cover worth a darn after the first quarter. It had virtually nothing to do with our offense's failures. Could this offense have really put this game farther out of reach in the 1st quarter the perhaps quieted Pitt before they got started? Sure could have. But that's immaterial, really. The D sucked. They gave up every one of those points. Not one belongs on anyone else's shoulders.