ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens sign DT Cory Redding

cravnravn

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 22, 2010 11:51 AM ETThe Baltimore Ravens have reached an agreement with free agent defensive lineman Cory Redding on a two-year contract, the team announced today.

"This will sound a little like a broken record, but Cory is a guy who plays like a Raven," Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said in the team's statement. "He hustles, he plays with intelligence, and he can play multiple positions like many of our defensive players. He's been a starter at both inside tackle and defensive end. And I am sure our coaches will use him in both positions."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

I love this move! In my opinion, he is just as talented than Edwards, maybe more. He is only a half-year older than Edwards, has a better track record of productivity (he has started since 2004), and we got him for a two-year deal. He is probably not as good of a run stopper as Dwan is, but he is an upgrade in the pass rush (8 sacks in 2006). Here is the upside with Redding, in Seattle he was probably playing out of position shifting along the 4-3 front as a defense end and defensive tackle stunting and twisting. In Detroit he was teammed with Shaun Rogers on the inside forming a very intimidating run-stopping tandem with the ability to crash the pocket the pocket. In Baltimore, he will be teammed with Ngata. This move will make Ngata better and will help Redding get back to being a force in this league. Once again it looks like we have a hole and Ozzie fills it! Great job Ozzie!

Here is ESPN Scouts, Inc. free agency scouting report on Redding:

Redding is a good sized defensive end who was originally drafted in the third round of the 2003 draft by the Detroit Lions. Seattle traded for him prior to the 2009 season and he played in 15 games. He has above average initial quickness and has the strength to set the edge and force the run back to the inside. He lacks top acceleration off the edge and is not a top speed rusher but does show the effort to keep working his way to the pocket. He is a good technician and does a good job of using his hands to keep blockers at bay or to disengage. He will bring some versatility in that he can play inside at defensive tackle as well or as a defensive end in an odd front if needed.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?playerId=4524

And the thing to remember is that this guy was outdoing himself in Detroit, of all places. If he could get fired up over there, imagine how fired up he'll be playing on a defense filled with Pro Bowlers. I think we sometimes overrate our own guys because they're playing on a special defense, the same way that some guys are stars in college because of the talent around them but can't make an NFL roster. There aren't a lot of guys who have gone on to be stars outside of our organization, whereas the list of the ones who have gone on to underperform is quite lengthy.

(So, yeah, this is a great move. Think: Trevor Pryce, when we first got him)

Please.. come on this move is decent nothing more, this is what it is, we lost Dwan and added Redding, we are not better with this move and hopefully not worse.

I am not expecting to see Ngata being a better player from this move, nor do I see Trevor Pryce anno 2006. This is another Dwan, and that is not bad.

Hopefully Redding will have his first winning season! Seven seasons with not one single winning season.

And btw in his seven years in the NFL, his teams has 4100 more rushing yards against than us.

First of all, Ozzie is doing what he always do before the draft. DL, DB and TE is still our needs.

Please.. come on this move is decent nothing more, this is what it is, we lost Dwan and added Redding, we are not better with this move and hopefully not worse.

I am not expecting to see Ngata being a better player from this move, nor do I see Trevor Pryce anno 2006. This is another Dwan, and that is not bad.

Hopefully Redding will have his first winning season! Seven seasons with not one single winning season.

And btw in his seven years in the NFL, his teams has 4100 more rushing yards against than us.

First of all, Ozzie is doing what he always do before the draft. DL, DB and TE is still our needs.

This is a hilariously naive post if I've ever seen one. The guy was franchise-tagged and given a huge deal only a few years ago on Detroit, and has been forced to play for losers in Detroit and Seattle his whole career. He clearly has more talent then Dwan, and I expect the energy of playing on our defense to give him a huge boost. Comparing his teams rushing yards against ours is completely pointless. This was a fantastic move, as Redding IMO is a prototypical 3-4 DE who can not only stop the run but actually has the ability to get the QB once awhile, which we all know was lacking last year from Dwan and Bannan. I still expect us to add one lineman in the draft, and I await final verdict on this move until I see the salary, but also getting him to come for 2 years as opposed to the 4 Dwan got is also very important.

This is a hilariously naive post if I've ever seen one. The guy was franchise-tagged and given a huge deal only a few years ago on Detroit, and has been forced to play for losers in Detroit and Seattle his whole career. He clearly has more talent then Dwan, and I expect the energy of playing on our defense to give him a huge boost. Comparing his teams rushing yards against ours is completely pointless. This was a fantastic move, as Redding IMO is a prototypical 3-4 DE who can not only stop the run but actually has the ability to get the QB once awhile, which we all know was lacking last year from Dwan and Bannan. I still expect us to add one lineman in the draft, and I await final verdict on this move until I see the salary, but also getting him to come for 2 years as opposed to the 4 Dwan got is also very important.

Well when he was paid like the best DLer in the leauge, then I would expect him to be a difference maker! Obviously that was never the case.

His best season was his eigth sack season for a 3-13 team, is that something special.. it is like saying Ravens DL was the best in 2007, when the rest of our D was bleeding.

Last season he started the first 3 games, rest of the season he was a backup for a 5-11 team playing in the worst division.. And now he is going to be a key player for the Ravens? Sorry not seing it.. Naive?? Well I suggest pessimist or delussional. And please let me be wrong! As I see it.. Redding's not crap, but I'll be surprised if his even half as good a run defender as Edwards, as a passrusher.. I am in a wait and see mode, but I am not expecting 5-6 sacks. He is decent depth, if better great! So fare I am not seeing it, but great if it happend.

Disappointed right now with the loss of depth on the d-line this year.

Well when he was paid like the best DLer in the leauge, then I would expect him to be a difference maker! Obviously that was never the case.

His best season was his eigth sack season for a 3-13 team, is that something special.. it is like saying Ravens DL was the best in 2007, when the rest of our D was bleeding.

Last season he started the first 3 games, rest of the season he was a backup for a 5-11 team playing in the worst division.. And now he is going to be a key player for the Ravens? Sorry not seing it.. Naive?? Well I suggest pessimist or delussional. And please let me be wrong! As I see it.. Redding's not crap, but I'll be surprised if his even half as good a run defender as Edwards, as a passrusher.. I am in a wait and see mode, but I am not expecting 5-6 sacks. He is decent depth, if better great! So fare I am not seeing it, but great if it happend.

Disappointed right now with the loss of depth on the d-line this year.

Remember, guys tend to overachieve in our defensive schemes and do not do nearly as well when they leave. Ozzie found Kelly Gregg, Dwan Edwards, Anthony Weaver, Marques Douglas, and Justin Bannan to overachieve for us. Finding d-line depth has never been a problem. A big reason for this are guys like Haloti Ngata, Ray Lewis, and Terrell Suggs. Considering Redding was a good talent before he got to Baltimore, I fully expect him to overachieve in our defense, he is a high motor guy like the guys I mentioned above and is thus a great fit for our defense. IMO, Redding is a better talent than Edwards, is about the same age, and has a much better track record.

If Redding only has as good a season as Edwards had for us last season, this is an excellent signing for us. Remember, Edwards was considered a non-factor and a second-round bust coming into the 2009 season. Now he has a brand new deal going into 2010. Edwards is no more special than anyone else not named Ngata, Goose, or Adams we have had on the interior line. We survived when Gregg got injured for a season, we survived when Douglas and Weaver left in free agency, we will have no problem replacing Edwards and Bannan.

As for Redding last season: Redding dislocated his knee in late 2008, rumors were that he was never 100% in 2009. Our training staff puts guys through intense tryouts, I am sure the knee is feeling much better going into 2010 than it was going into 2009.

I like the move.

He's an upgrade over Edwards.... but not over Bannon. I think he'll flourish here.

Much needed depth.

Ozzie can still draft a DE in the 1st round...or a WR for that matter...whatever...he can go BPA.

They still need OT depth....Cousins is too risky and Yanda needs to stay inside.

I like the move.

He's an upgrade over Edwards.... but not over Bannon. I think he'll flourish here.

Much needed depth.

Ozzie can still draft a DE in the 1st round...or a WR for that matter...whatever...he can go BPA.

They still need OT depth....Cousins is too risky and Yanda needs to stay inside.

Max,

Agree with you on the depth. Not sure this guy is an upgrade but who knows ?

With the loss of Bannnon and Edwards, we still need more.

Hopefully, the draft will bear fruit for the DL !