ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Ravens hit a homerun with Breshad Perryman

Tornado700

He was the only player left on their board when their time to pick came. This dude is big and FAST. Has all the intangibles, but does drop too many passes. That problem will be fixed, guarantee it. Ravens have said it is a concentration problem that can be fixed. He also averages over 20 yards a catch and his YAC numbers are amazing. Just what we need with the departure of Torrey. So far, so good. Keep 'em coming.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were questions about Torrey's route running and ball skills

too and he over came a lot of them. He had trouble going up for

the ball and fighting for it at its highest peak like at the end of the game

in Indy with a chance to tie it.

I've seen Perriman going up and fighting for the ball on his high lite

film. He has the size to do it.

He rose on the boards due to his 4.2 o 3 speed on his workout. When

I saw him on TV I said wow when I saw how big he was. He has

DEZ Bryants body and it took a couple of years for him to develop and

get over his many off seasons troubles.

DeCosta said their board was wiped clean so it was either Perriman

or trade down. a lot of us wanted Strong but he is still on the board

after Indy passed on him too.

It will be interesting tomorrow to see if Ravens trade up to get either

Maxx Williams or Clive Walford at TE to fill another need and give Joe

some more weapons. I doubt if Oz would draft two offensive players

in a row but you never know and the defense is stocked. They

can still get some second teir corners and some good RBs in

the middle rounds.

All the corners they wanted were gone and Mel Gordon was too -

early. Gurley went at # 10 for first time 2 RBs were drafted in 1st

round since 2010. So much for those two being bad values in

the first round.

One thing for sure, like with Torrey, Perriman will require their best

corners to cover him or they will get burned. He will win games just

showing up for the races with that 4.2 speed. If he can just catch.

Very happy with this selection. Joe and the offense badly needed a legit deep threat and now it's "Bomb's Away!" time again.

With Perrymans speed, who can defend him 1 on 1? Nobody. It's going to take 2.

How did the Ravens get to and win their last Super Bowl? The deep ball. The Big Play.

Also this helps the running game by forcing D's to defend the whole field.

They will be picking 9 more players. Perryman is just the beginning.

Another Day at the Office...

130256636_crop_650x440.jpg?1326002791

I live within 10 miles of UCF, lots of good talk on the radio of Perriman, should be a fun camp this summer.

A lot of comparisons are made of Perelman and Torrey, just remember Torrey was a 2nd rd pick, we should have higher expectations out of Perriman.

Edited by cravnravn

Out of a Florida school to boot, must be something in the water down here.

Just can't teach catching. I will say, Perryman has far more potential than any of the previous Ravens draft prospects at the position. Strong is still there, I doubt tey go with him now, but he would have been my choice. Dude was making sickcatches with a broken bone in his wrist....

Today should be interesting to see who falls to them or if they trade up. I am thinking they come away with a running back at least tonight.

This pick will receive a lot of criticism, and justifiably so. Yes, Perriman has holes in his game. However, when it comes to WR the Ravens needed to make a pick like this and take a chance. We've tried the safe route before and it hasn't worked. If we are going to draft a WR in the first round and have him be a bust, I'd rather it be on a physical freak like Perriman than a smaller guy with limited potential like Mark Clayton.

There are similarities to Torrey Smith. However, Perriman offers a whole lot more. Perriman is a tank when he gets the ball in his hands, he doesn't go down easily. While Perriman's hands are suspect (got better as the college season went on), he has very good body control when adjusting to passes. He also has a fairly large catch radius. What I don't think people realized about Torrey was he had small hands by WR standards, which explains why he body caught the ball so much and wouldn't go up for balls. This shouldn't be a problem with Perriman as he has bigger hands and will high point balls. Remember, as fast as Torrey was, Perriman is at least a step faster, as well as being an inch taller with ten more pounds of bulk. Truly a physical specimen. Perriman is also a much better run blocker than Torrey.

Perriman might initially be used in a Torrey-like capacity, but I think has the potential (key word, potential) to be a #1 receiver in the mold of Josh Gordon, with a downside potential of a Kenny Britt. When you look at all the teams that Perriman could have gone to: we are probably the best fit. Obviously matching Perriman's speed with Flacco's arm is a given. Perriman will be on a team with fellow UCF WR Kamar Aiken. I am sure Bobby Engram was a part of the draft evaluation of Perriman. We wouldn't have taken Perriman if Engram, and the other coaches, did not feel his weaknesses were coachable. You don't see the Ravens take these types of risks in the draft. We usually draft guys heavy on college production and generally considered safe picks.

With that said, I do not think Perriman will be a starter for us off the bat. I see Aiken as the X, Split End, and Steve Smith as the Z, flanker. Perriman will see the field as the X in situations where he will be able to get open deep or on crossing patterns that allow him to take advantage of his YAC abilities. The press in the NFL is on a much different level than college. If we throw him out there as the full time X he will struggle. However, pick your spots with some off man coverages, or some soft zones, and we'll give him the opportunities to use his speed and blow by the coverage, even winning some jump balls down the field. Perriman will be put in the best position to succeed and develop.

I think Torrey was seen coming out of the draft limited as a one dimensional but really good #2 receiver, which is why he fell to the second round despite a great combine and a solid junior year. Perriman has #1 receiver potential. Now the likelihood that he will reach it, that's debatable...

As a risk taker myself, I LOVE the pick!

He was the only player left on their board when their time to pick came. This dude is big and FAST. Has all the intangibles, but does drop too many passes. That problem will be fixed, guarantee it. Ravens have said it is a concentration problem that can be fixed. He also averages over 20 yards a catch and his YAC numbers are amazing. Just what we need with the departure of Torrey. So far, so good. Keep 'em coming.

He does remind me of Torrey. Torrey would drop some balls that made me say hmmmm.

Perriman is a bigger, faster, cheaper Torrey Smith. We saved about $25m with this move and will get a comp pick next year for Torrey. This is what good teams do, they retool through the draft.

Agreed.

Seemed like Perriman had a good feeling the Ravens were the team:

@RavensInsider: Breshad Perriman 'I feel like football has always been in my blood' said Ravens was 'my best visit, that was the team I wanted to play for'

Here's a pre draft interview with Perriman on a Ravens podcast:

http://www.purplereignshow.com/2015/03/12/purple-reign-show-3-12-15-ravens-podcast

One more thought: as much as this will be seen as a need pick, make no doubt this was a BPA pick as well. Going into the draft we knew the small group of guys that could realistically be available and would present value to the Ravens at their pick: Marcus Peters, Bud Dupree, and Shane Ray. All three guys were off the board. Perriman IMO was by far the best remaining option, so I believe Ozzie when he said if Perriman was gone, he would have traded out.

Btw, if Jaelen Strong is so good, why did the Eagles and Colts pass on Strong as well, and take another receiver? Makes me think there are either red flags on the wrist, or his lack of ability to create separation is alarming to teams.

This pick will receive a lot of criticism, and justifiably so. Yes, Perriman has holes in his game. However, when it comes to WR the Ravens needed to make a pick like this and take a chance. We've tried the safe route before and it hasn't worked. If we are going to draft a WR in the first round and have him be a bust, I'd rather it be on a physical freak like Perriman than a smaller guy with limited potential like Mark Clayton.

There are similarities to Torrey Smith. However, Perriman offers a whole lot more. Perriman is a tank when he gets the ball in his hands, he doesn't go down easily. While Perriman's hands are suspect (got better as the college season went on), he has very good body control when adjusting to passes. He also has a fairly large catch radius. What I don't think people realized about Torrey was he had small hands by WR standards, which explains why he body caught the ball so much and wouldn't go up for balls. This shouldn't be a problem with Perriman as he has bigger hands and will high point balls. Remember, as fast as Torrey was, Perriman is at least a step faster, as well as being an inch taller with ten more pounds of bulk. Truly a physical specimen.

Perriman might initially be used in a Torrey-like capacity, but I think has the potential (key word, potential) to be a #1 receiver in the mold of Josh Gordon, with a downside potential of a Kenny Britt. When you look at all the teams that Perriman could have gone to: we are probably the best fit. Obviously matching Perriman's speed with Flacco's arm is a given. Perriman will be on a team with fellow UCF WR Kamar Aiken. I am sure Bobby Engram was a part of the draft evaluation of Perriman. We wouldn't have taken Perriman if Engram, and the other coaches, did not feel his weaknesses were coachable. You don't see the Ravens take these types of risks in the draft. We usually draft guys heavy on college production and generally considered safe picks.

With that said, I do not think Perriman will be a starter for us off the bat. I see Aiken as the X, Split End, and Steve Smith as the Z, flanker. Perriman will see the field as the X in situations where he will be able to get open deep or on crossing patterns that allow him to take advantage of his YAC abilities. The press in the NFL is on a much different level than college. If we throw him out there as the full time X he will struggle. However, pick your spots with some off man coverages, or some soft zones, and we'll give him the opportunities to use his speed and blow by the coverage, even winning some jump balls down the field. Perriman will be put in the best position to succeed and develop.

I think Torrey was seen coming out of the draft limited as a one dimensional but really good #2 receiver, which is why he fell to the second round despite a great combine and a solid junior year. Perriman has #1 receiver potential. Now the likelihood that he will reach it, that's debatable...

As a risk taker myself, I LOVE the pick!

It is difficult for me to complain since they 1) drafted a position of need and I started a thread on it months ago. and 2) as they said in the presser, what else were they to do if they got no decent trade offers?

Perriman does have some great attributes, far better than Smith even the Smith of today. Perriman locates the deep ball very well, gets his hands up late, which makes it more difficult for the defender to defend the ball. You can't coach speed and he has that, even over Smith, he also has pretty good quickness, something Smith lacks.

He is stronger than Smth, gets off the jam better, so based on need and best player (Brown is good, but they can find his talent level later in the draft), they nailed it especially compared to Smith.

One more thought: as much as this will be seen as a need pick, make no doubt this was a BPA pick as well. Going into the draft we knew the small group of guys that could realistically be available and would present value to the Ravens at their pick: Marcus Peters, Bud Dupree, and Shane Ray. All three guys were off the board. Perriman IMO was by far the best remaining option, so I believe Ozzie when he said if Perriman was gone, he would have traded out.

Btw, if Jaelen Strong is so good, why did the Eagles and Colts pass on Strong as well, and take another receiver? Makes me think there are either red flags on the wrist, or his lack of ability to create separation is alarming to teams.

Players fall for any number of reasons, using the why didn't so & so draft him, is a mantra (and I know you know this) that doesn't fly. Teams make mistakes all the time. Time will tell on Strong.

Now, where will Gregory go?

Just can't teach catching. I will say, Perryman has far more potential than any of the previous Ravens draft prospects at the position. Strong is still there, I doubt tey go with him now, but he would have been my choice. Dude was making sickcatches with a broken bone in his wrist....

Today should be interesting to see who falls to them or if they trade up. I am thinking they come away with a running back at least tonight.

Ravens receivers coach was on 105.7 earlier and said he has some drills

he'll run Perrimen thru and he'll keep at him. The route running can be

corrected.

Let's give him a chance before killing him.

I wanted Strong but Perrimen has bigger body and Strong is more of a

possession receiver exactly like Boldin.

Hell, Strong is still on the board. Nobody wanted him in first round.

Kiper had Perrimen going to SF @ 15.

homerun???

lmao

Joe won't have time to throw when Dupree sacks his ass all day long.

I expect the ravens to do what they always do just heave it downfield and get their gifted PI call from the refs

wr doesn't have to catch it.

carry on

Dupree isn't a pot head

but

I wouldn't mind if we can get Gregory from Nebraska today

:mello:

are you back home now pops?

I'm back on the Carolina coast

Just finished watching the press conference. Perriman is enormous, he looks like a LB. It's incredible he can run that fast being that big.

The Ravens had WR coach Bobby Engram up with Perriman taking questions. I was very impressed with Engram, well spoken and did a great job fielding questions. He might be a guy to keep an eye on as his coaching career progresses.

It is difficult for me to complain since they 1) drafted a position of need and I started a thread on it months ago. and 2) as they said in the presser, what else were they to do if they got no decent trade offers?

Perriman does have some great attributes, far better than Smith even the Smith of today. Perriman locates the deep ball very well, gets his hands up late, which makes it more difficult for the defender to defend the ball. You can't coach speed and he has that, even over Smith, he also has pretty good quickness, something Smith lacks.

He is stronger than Smth, gets off the jam better, so based on need and best player (Brown is good, but they can find his talent level later in the draft), they nailed it especially compared to Smith.

Good points.

Like cleetz, I think he could become a legit #1 WR. Not this year maybe but I could see it somewhere during year 2.

It takes Joe time to get comfortable and in rhythm with his new receivers. Even with Boldin there was a learning curve.

Size, blazing speed and strength. Don't forget the value of Steve Smith teaching him heart, attitude, want and focus.

Love this pick. Opponents will have to defend the whole field.

twilightzonewilltherealmartianpleasestan"I'll say this...he is the oldest looking 21 year old that I have ever seen.

Did they check his birth certificate?

Maybe it's really his Dad trying to make an NFL comeback."