ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Thoughts on Three-Day Draft?

deeshopper

What are your thoughts on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday setup? I didn't like it. I missed most of them because it spanned so many critical days. I could have devoted one full day to watching the draft, but ended up missing most of it. Boo.

What are your thoughts on the Thursday, Friday and Saturday setup? I didn't like it. I missed most of them because it spanned so many critical days. I could have devoted one full day to watching the draft, but ended up missing most of it. Boo.

WTF with making the Draft prime time during the week, anyway? I was totally shocked and flabbergasted in general, having to adjust my NHL-Playoff-watching-self to catch the draft. Why do we want the draft to be prime time? money sucks...

I took off Friday and Saturday so I could devote myself to watching the draft, so here are my impressions:

When round 1 was winding down, I felt like the draft shouldn't be ending yet. Even if we had made a pick in the first round, I'd liked to have come out of the first day knowing at least two players. Everyone at the draft party I was at seemed to agree on this. Since everyone already knew the top 5 picks, the rest of the round seemed to fly by.

Day 2 was definitely worth looking forward two, with two full rounds, but waiting an entire day to get to the second round was weird. If they're going to have it be a 3-day-event, I'd rather see Friday night, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning. Either keep it as a weekend-event (two days) or stretch it to three with a Friday prime time round, but the Thurs/Fri/Sat schedule isn't right.

Starting day 3 early Saturday brought back memories of the good-ol'-days, when breakfast and drafting went hand-in-hand.

Overall, it was an epic draft, but the flow was weird. Glad we took mostly players I knew, though... drafting 'tough guys' who I've never heard of isn't very satisfying.

I hated the 3 day format. Love the draft the way it was.

It's not set up for the fans...it's for the money.

Because we, as fans, are pasionate about it, we'll keep jumping through hoops and hurdles that they put in our way in their quest for the Almighty Dollar.

That's what will bring down the NFL one day.

Greed.

Because we, as fans, are pasionate about it, we'll keep jumping through hoops and hurdles that they put in our way in their quest for the Almighty Dollar.

The most frustrating/funny thing was trying to explain to some of my football-ignorant friends what a draft was, and why I needed three days off to watch it. Turns out it's an impossible feat... you're either "in the know" or you're not when it comes to draft-importance. Kind've like explaining fantasy football to people who not only haven't played fantasy, but don't even watch sports.

The most frustrating/funny thing was trying to explain to some of my football-ignorant friends what a draft was, and why I needed three days off to watch it. Turns out it's an impossible feat... you're either "in the know" or you're not when it comes to draft-importance. Kind've like explaining fantasy football to people who not only haven't played fantasy, but don't even watch sports.

I hear you Spear. I don't care if others understand...it's the one non-serious/fun thing/ hobby I have in a very busy life.

I love football

That's why we hang out here..."We Know"...We're Extreme...football-7.gif

Mixed feelings. The first round is terrible for us in Europe, we would have to take a day off.. Friday much better still bad timing.. well we can live with that. Saturday is actually better now and hope my sunday will be more normal, and I am probable in much better condition on monday.. than before.

Totally hated it

I'm with you Crav. It sucked balls compared to the way it was. It may have been in primetime on the east coast, but out here in Arizona it commenced before I was even off of work, and then come Saturday it starts at 7:00 am! If I hadn't "accidently" spilled bourbon into my coffee, I wouldn't have enjoyed it at all!

I actually liked having the first round on a Thursday night. I didn't take off of work, but the first round went quick enough that it didn't affect my sleep too badly. With the old Saturday-Sunday format, the draft could absorb your whole weekend. With this format, you get your Sunday back and most of your Saturday too if you're like me and you don't have to see every pick after the 3rd round.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that the first and second rounds are on different days. I think that helps teams that aren't that great at drafting by allowing them to take the time to regroup and reset their boards. It nullifies some of the advantage that good drafting teams like the Ravens have. I thought perhaps if they cut the time limit for each pick to 7 and 5 in the first two rounds instead of 10 and 7, they might be able to fit both in on Thrusday night, but teams already appeared pressed for time with 10 minutes to talk their picks and trades in round 1.

With the old Saturday-Sunday format, the draft could absorb your whole weekend. With this format, you get your Sunday back and most of your Saturday too if you're like me and you don't have to see every pick after the 3rd round.

Plant me in the category who doesn't think of the draft as "taking away my weekend". If you don't get caught up in the whole draft experience, why even watch it at all? You can have your entire weekend, and read about the picks on Monday.

I would rather see the draft start on a Friday night rather than Thursday. Then do rounds 2-4 on Saturday and 5-7 on Sunday. I just can't justify taking the Friday off work every year no matter how much I love the draft and believe me I need the Friday off with the draft not finishing up until after 4am where I live.

I'm off Saturdays anyway so a Friday start would fit a lot better.

I loved the new format! Being in central time, the draft did not end too late for me on Thursday night, and the early start time (5 PM) on Friday was great (I got to watch before and at happy hour). I actually liked this format better than the Saturday/Sunday format. I know people have off work on Saturday, but the draft takes up ALL DAY. I like it being broken up. One, the draft starts two days earlier than usual. Two, it puts more anticipation and emphasis on the first round. And three, that second day (second and third rounds) become much more emphasized as well and we get to know some very good players that would probably be overshadowed in the Saturday/Sunday format. I'm a fan, sign me up for next year!