ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Jared Gaither trade rumor?

ravensfanatic77

So one of my co-workers told me today that a friend told him that there were rumors about a Jared Gaither and 2011 draft pick trade for Nnamdi Asomugha the "All-World" CB of the Raiders.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone heard anything?

Hadnt heard squat. You gotta link ? Id take it in a heartbeat, esp since we didnt pick a CB in the draft. Im in the camp that says we are going to regret not picking a CB and hoping we pick up someone in the FA scrap heap this Summer.

Time will tell. In the meantime, Id be stoked if we picked up Nnamdi (even at the expense of losing Gaither).

I have heard of the rumour but I doubt there is any substance to it. The Raiders drafted 2 OTs as well and I doubt the Ravens would be willing to take on that contract of Nnamdi's.

Add that to the fact that we didn't draft an OT (at least one that would be ready to start anyway) and I just don't see this adding up.

If the Raiders would trade him for a 2nd round 2011 pick on its own then by all means the Ravens should pull the trigger but that is the kind of stupid trade that Al Davis reserves for the Patriots.

If the Raiders would trade him for a 2nd round 2011 pick on its own then by all means the Ravens should pull the trigger but that is the kind of stupid trade that Al Davis reserves for the Patriots.

If the Raiders would trade him for a 2011 1st-rounder, you have to pull the trigger. The Raiders get their 1st back, but it's guaranteed to be a 29-32 pick. Asomugha is undisputedly one of the top 2 corners in the league... perfect guy to take on Manning, Sanchez, and Brady in the playoffs.

So one of my co-workers told me today that a friend told him that there were rumors about .....

It's one thing if John Clayton or Mort report a rumor...I might give it some credibility...but not "co-workers told me today that a friend told him".

Anyway...Gaither is a Raven for 2010. It's too late for him to go anywhere....no teams took the 1st round bait which should help Ozzie in his attempt to sign him to a fair, long term contract.

I can understand fans wanting a CB like Asomugha...then the Ravens are definately Super Bowl bound.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/04/Top_FA_Cornerbacks_on_the_Market.aspx

Lot's of options at corner IMO. Picking up a couple of these guys for 8 weeks should definitely be enough to get us through the beginning of the season.... We don't need to overpay for Asomugha.

From that list I think William James would be number one on my list followed by either Ken Lucas or Nick Harper

You never know. Some fool team could throw the large trade offer now. Say they lose a major stud OT and get desperate.

Like the Denver Bronco's losing Ryan Clady for god knows how long after tearing his patellar tendon in his knee while playing basketball?

At this point in Champ's career it would need to be a pick or two in addition.

I'd still take Bailey for Gaither, straight up, without hesitation. He's still got a few years left in him, which is all Reed, Lewis, Mason and Boldin have left anyways.

I'd still take Bailey for Gaither, straight up, without hesitation. He's still got a few years left in him, which is all Reed, Lewis, Mason and Boldin have left anyways.

Come on! Really? A 31 year old Champ Bailey with a few years left (at best) straight up for a potential Pro Bowl LT who hasn't hit his prime yet and is only 24 years old and has started over 30 games in the NFL?!?! Baltimore would be raped if that trade actually went down!

It would seriously have to be Champ Bailey and a 2nd round pick and possibly an additional 3rd day pick for Jared Gaither for that to be a fair trade.

It may be wiser to inquire about one of their younger CB's like Alphonso Smith or Perrish Cox.

a potential Pro Bowl LT who hasn't hit his prime yet and is only 24 years old and has started over 30 games in the NFL?!?!

Let's not get carried away, now... Gaither isn't that good. Why do you think we didn't hear about anyone offering so much as a 2nd-round-pick for him? Surely a young, pro-bowl left tackle is worth at least that...

Let's not get carried away, now... Gaither isn't that good. Why do you think we didn't hear about anyone offering so much as a 2nd-round-pick for him? Surely a young, pro-bowl left tackle is worth at least that...

I don't think it is that outlandish to consider Gaither a potential Pro Bowler in 3-5 years if he improves his focus and works his ass off! You can't question his measurable or experience despite his age. The only question mark is if someone can light a fire under him so he dedicates himself to reach his potential.

We don't know what was offered for Gaither or if the Ravens were looking to move him. All we know is they tendered him a 1st round tender. That doesn't mean they were trying to trade him. Maybe they were trying to prove to him, his value isn't what he thinks it is. So when it's contract time. He'll take RT money.

We don't know what was offered for Gaither or if the Ravens were looking to move him. All we know is they tendered him a 1st round tender. That doesn't mean they were trying to trade him. Maybe they were trying to prove to him, his value isn't what he thinks it is. So when it's contract time. He'll take RT money.

Yeah, maybe. Or maybe we would've traded him in a second, because there were tackles available in the second round with first-round grades, for a fraction of Gaither's pricetag. Who knows.

I don't think it is that outlandish to consider Gaither a potential Pro Bowler in 3-5 years if he improves his focus and works his ass off! You can't question his measurable or experience despite his age. The only question mark is if someone can light a fire under him so he dedicates himself to reach his potential.

You could say the same thing about JaMarcus Russell. But regardless of what may-or-may-not happen in 3-5 years (when I can almost guarantee you Gaither is with another team), Champ Bailey would bring a ton of leadership and proven Pro-Bowl-talent to our weakest position for the next 2-3 years minimum. (which is the championship window for aging veterans)

I'm sure you'd admit that, with Bailey in the fold, you would feel comfortable booking us for the AFC Championship game. And a 'stop gap' player at RT is 1) A lot easier to find, and 2) A lot less destructive than a stop-gap at corner. (Bad corner plays loses games single-handedly. Right tackles rarely have this type of control over a game's outcome.)