ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Crabs and oysters will get very expensive this yr

papasmurfbell

I just love that attitude that we have all been confronted with at some point in our lives too...

"I'm here to do this job..."

"Under who's authority?"

"Well, I've been hired..."

"By who? Are you the police? Because last I knew, no one but the police have "authority" over this."

My favorite response, though I rarely am rude enough to use it...

"Sir, I'm just doing my job."

"Your job is made up."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just the beginning...and this is only what's visible...

– Florida saw its worst impact yet from the BP oil spill as thick oily sludge washed ashore on Pensacola Beach on Wednesday and emergency workers found an oil-covered dolphin stranded on the shore.

State emergency workers said the pudding-like mixture covered 3 miles of Pensacola Beach, a barrier island that is part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore.

"It's just a line of black all the way down the beach as far as you can see in both directions. It's ruined," said Steve Anderson, a Pensacola fisherman.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100623/us_nm/us_oil_spill_florida

Has there been any damage done to the West Coast of Florida around Tampa? I was planning on spending a couple of days around Clearwater when I am over for vacation but I don't want to waste my time if the place is being hit with Oil.

Has there been any damage done to the West Coast of Florida around Tampa? I was planning on spending a couple of days around Clearwater when I am over for vacation but I don't want to waste my time if the place is being hit with Oil.

Not yet, just the west coast "panhandle" of Florida...My vacation property is south of Tampa, just pray we dont get a hurricane in the Gulf, that will surely push the oil south.

I knew it would take until the oil actually hit florida before people really panicked. Seems like it wasnt a big deal when it was just destroying Lousiana waterways and ruining livelihoods, but heaven forbid the tourist cant relax on the beaches of florida. Unreal. Wait till the first hurricane pushes the whole thing right into the gulf stream we will be swimming in it in a month.

Yes the prices on seafood are sky high right now. Thats because many watermen in the gulf have already given up on fishing/crabbing and are now cleaning oil. One of my biggest suppliers who has a dock which buys crabs and packs them for sale up here has converted his entire operation into a BP clean up office. He leases out his dock and 3 of his boats and he added a place for trucks and heavy equipment to get in and out. They are paying him 50k a month. Shit, BP is paying 12 bucks and hour just to rake the beaches.

Brace for prices to get worse. Im paying 160 dollars for a box of #1's directly from LA right now. #2 and Fem are going for 75. Thats still WAY higher than i should be paying right now. I can buy local #1 on the eastern shore for 90 dollars buteven now LA produces a bigger, better tasting crab

In this entire ordeal, has BP even suggested drilling another well say, 20 ft from the damaged one? Wouldnt that eleviale some of the oil spilling into our waters, and additionally, they could use some of the oil from the new well.

In this entire ordeal, has BP even suggested drilling another well say, 20 ft from the damaged one? Wouldnt that eleviale some of the oil spilling into our waters, and additionally, they could use some of the oil from the new well.

The LAST thing we need is BP drilling anything anywhere.

In other news, I got my claim number, I got my claim number! Not sure how much money Im going to get yet but my supplier/friend in Alabama game me a claim number associated with his company for me to start seeing some this relief. It cant come soon enough, crab prices are starting to creep up. Im paying $3.50lb for #1's and $1.80 for #2 and $1.60lb for Fem right now. Hard to make money like that when youre paying helpers and paying overhead bills.

BP has been working on "relief wells" for the entire time now... they are expected to be finished in early August. You can't just do it from 20 feet over, though, because of the pressure issues.

But yes, "relief wells" are the ultimate and final solution. They just take forever - you're talking about a mile under sea. The original well took forever to drill too!

So what part of town am I heading to, to get these 3.50 a lb #1's :)

Im sorry you misunstood me, I said Iwas paying $3.50lb. YOU are paying a little bit more. Lol. Our company has a new location on liberty road in Lochearn and another place on camp mead road in linthicum. And believe it or not we actually get 1.3lb Jumbos, they are called magnums. So essentially we are paying $4.50 for ONE crab. That is why places have to charge 100 bucks for a dozen jumbos.

The LAST thing we need is BP drilling anything anywhere.

In other news, I got my claim number, I got my claim number! Not sure how much money Im going to get yet but my supplier/friend in Alabama game me a claim number associated with his company for me to start seeing some this relief. It cant come soon enough, crab prices are starting to creep up. Im paying $3.50lb for #1's and $1.80 for #2 and $1.60lb for Fem right now. Hard to make money like that when youre paying helpers and paying overhead bills.

Thats good news, I hope it helps.

First video is a huge disappointment... just another in a long line.

Second video ... it's harder to make any real judgment. It doesn't look like dumped sand to me - aside from the fact that it's a big operation to dump sand in that manner and someone would have seen it. And it's also hard to tell how 'deep' back into the beach the oil goes. Those patterns in the sand look like normal tide patterns (or at least common patterns you can see from the tide). Entirely possible that the tide created those kind of rivets and then the newer oil is being pushed into the underside, but that it is not actually an entire beach. But, just thoughts. And hopes, really.