ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Opening Day 2016

dc.

Was at the game today: Manny is on fire. He smoked each one of his hits today. Also, the kids has filled out. He is enormous, huge lower body. With his swing, that is going to equate to monster power. Hasn't lost a step on defense either. Made a slow roller to throw out Longoria look easy. Hardy also made a strong throw from deep in the hole.

Trumbo looks good in RF. Much more athletic than people give him credit for. Misplayed a ball off the wall, but made a few tough plays in the game. He's very comfortable at the plate too. Beating the shift, working counts, putting the ball into play. The home runs will come.

Alvarez looked like he was going to die as he rounded third scoring from first. He got a good jump and it looked like he'd score easily, but he ran out of gas and made it close. He's a little heavy looking to me, but still made the play with a smart slide!

No walks today for the lineup, but the team is certainly working the count. Lots of three ball counts. Lineup has solid synergy.

Baltimore's starting rotation was supposed to be the team's weakest link, but the group is a collective 3-0 with a 2.28 ERA.

"They gave us a chance to win, all five games," manager Buck Showalter said. "If we do that we'll have some fun this summer."

They are hitting a pitching well.

Yup...5-0!

Davis! :bow:

2 out in 9th...tie game and he crushes one deep into center field with 2 men on.

9-6!

i think I got too excited about the pitching. They hadn't faced a serious hitting lineup.

They're saying 449 feet. Longest off Kimbrel in his career and first ever three run hr he's given up. Welcome to the AL East.

Pitching will struggle for us, but the bats will always make it interesting... Or better than interesting.

Really nice to wake up this morning to this news.

Just saying...yesterday I heard 2 out of the last 3 teams to start the season 6-0 went on to the World Series.

O's 7-0. :)

Bundy won't start this year just because of strict innings limit. But he might get longer relief outings.

He's also up and down - first outing they were getting really solid contact. Second less contact but not much swinging and missing. I'm a little worried.

Gallardo not a starter?

I mean, I'm not a huge fan nor do I think he's had a good start, but he's got a career of very good starting stats. I'm just wondering where his velocity went...

Bundy won't start this year just because of strict innings limit. But he might get longer relief outings.

He's also up and down - first outing they were getting really solid contact. Second less contact but not much swinging and missing. I'm a little worried.

Bundy is on an innings limit? Isn't he a few years out from his surgery?

On a side note, I never got the whole innings limit thing. As far as I know, there's no medical science to support it. You are either cleared to pitch, or you are still hurt and need recovery time. Human arms aren't meant to whip and throw a projectile 95 MPH+. Some pitchers have an easier motion than others. So if by innings limits, teams mean pushing back the inevitable injury from routine wear and tear (relative to that pitcher's abilities and throwing motion), I wish they would just call it what it is.

Adding to my previous post: I wonder if in 20 years former pitchers will sue the MLB saying they didn't know the damage they were doing to their arms. Specifically how pitch counts were a misleading statistic of health, or the long-term effects of Tommy John surgery.

His power is down...that's why his deal was renegotiated.

Not that simple. Either way, no evidence to support "not a starter" when if anything he had the most impressive and consistent track record of any starter we have (and have had in a decade)

Bundy is on an innings limit? Isn't he a few years out from his surgery?

On a side note, I never got the whole innings limit thing. As far as I know, there's no medical science to support it. You are either cleared to pitch, or you are still hurt and need recovery time. Human arms aren't meant to whip and throw a projectile 95 MPH+. Some pitchers have an easier motion than others. So if by innings limits, teams mean pushing back the inevitable injury from routine wear and tear (relative to that pitcher's abilities and throwing motion), I wish they would just call it what it is.

Not sure if the limit is official, but he only pitched ten games last year, including fall league. He's certainly not at full stamina.

Meanwhile, I agree with general criticism of innings limits and pitch counters. But I don't know if there's any data against it either.

The reality is that blame belongs with youth teams and parents/players themselves. Starting too early and specializing in one sport: recipe for over use of some muscles, under development of others needed to provide stability.