ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Opening Day 2016

dc.

So, the Rays Archer starts to pitch tonight. Os bats flat and Alverez get 2 doubles tonight - go figure. Gausman gets a quality start.

Watching this team after 18 games you get the feeling we are now starting to fall back to the pack in the AL East.

I don't really disagree but haven't given up hope yet. Pretty tough road schedule to the season. We have a nice stretch of home games coming up.

I would hardly say we are falling toward the back of the pack in the AL East. It is a relatively weak division this year. Long season, our lineup won't get shutout very often, Gausman's start was very encouraging. He was throwing in the upper-90s and missing bats. His stamina is only going to improve.

Archer is a spectacular pitcher, he was due for a great outing.

It is the fifth inning that has hurt us: Tillman, Gausman, Wilson, Jiminez, all have pitched great early in the game. Just need to keep building and making adjustments.

Back to the pack was also kind of required... Can't go 8-2 all season long. Even great teams are going 6-4 on average.

Our bats have been relatively dead since that first stretch. The on base bug has bitten. Not unexpected.

I am not concerned about the bats overall, but this is the reality of a team with no obp... Lots of low scores to match our nine run innings. Lots of double plays. Lots of ks in big situations. Inability to hit a sac when needed.

Hardy has a hairline fracture: 6-8 weeks.

I think Flaherty is the better long-term option to play third, back up the middle infield. Alvarez can also play third allowing Reimold and Kim to get ABs.

We know what Janish provides with his bat. I don't think Flaherty has been given a sufficient opportunity to show what he can do with consistent ABs. I like his approach so I think it's worth the shot.

I used to be ask on the Flaherty train, but no more. I think he's had ample opportunities, especially at second with Schoop hurt and more. He's a fine utility, but he's no regular.

I hate the idea of Alvarez playing the field. And I think Janish is just a better defensive guy at any position than Ryan.

Buck says it will be both of them once Janish is off paternity, they've had a short bench anyway.

I used to be ask on the Flaherty train, but no more. I think he's had ample opportunities, especially at second with Schoop hurt and more. He's a fine utility, but he's no regular.

I hate the idea of Alvarez playing the field. And I think Janish is just a better defensive guy at any position than Ryan.

Buck says it will be both of them once Janish is off paternity, they've had a short bench anyway.

Hardy isn't hitting or getting on base. Take away two 302 foot pop flies to right field in Fenway and he has nothing to show for the year. I think Flaherty could offer more for our lineup, while only a little drop off in infield defense.

Janish plays great defense but he is essentially an automatic out at the plate. Álvarez is miserable in the field but him playing third would allow Kim and Reimold to get more ABs. I think Flaherty at third is the best option and hope he can settle in and produce the way someone of his talent is capable of.

I just think the stats lay out that Flaherty has a bat that is all hype but little reality. As I said, I've seen the same glimmer from him, but it didn't actually come true... Ever.

He ks a ton. He walks none. He doesn't hit for average. He has some power, but it's not what it appears to be.

I'll take Janish as a wild card (who hit hit average for us last year in a short stint and so far this year in AAA, both against his norm, I know). Plus, I think he's better at D and gives us the ability to keep Machado at 3b.

Looked it to: same number of career at bats for both (within 100), Janish his one point higher at... 216! He slugs for less, mainly because he's well outhomered... But he hit more doubles.

And he struck out almost 80 times fewer. Flaherty is a nearly 25% k rate to Janish's 15-16%.

Janish also had two atrocious season's in Atlanta hitting around 180. But hit in the mid 200s (over 260 once) in Cincy. Flaherty has never topped 230 in the pros.

I think Flaherty has some compromising photos of someone in the front office. Otherwise I cannot figure out why he is still in the organization.

He's been here five years and is almost 30 years old. I think they could rather easily get a better utility player than him. And if not someone immediately better, at least someone with more potential.

Looked it to: same number of career at bats for both (within 100), Janish his one point higher at... 216! He slugs for less, mainly because he's well outhomered... But he hit more doubles.

And he struck out almost 80 times fewer. Flaherty is a nearly 25% k rate to Janish's 15-16%.

Janish also had two atrocious season's in Atlanta hitting around 180. But hit in the mid 200s (over 260 once) in Cincy. Flaherty has never topped 230 in the pros.

There is no doubt about it, Flaherty's major league stats are miserable. He hasn't had a full season of at bats at one level since 2011, which was an excellent year for him. It was his performance in the minors that had us thinking he would be a solid major leaguer. Good balance of power, on base skills and defense. To this day he has a patient plate approach.

Was Flaherty brought up to the majors too early as a Rule 5 guy? Yes, he certainly could have used more seasoning. As a result he's had to develop in the majors through utility roles and inconsistent at bats. Sort of reminds me of Jeff Fiorentino: Had a couple of awesome minor league seasons then was rushed to the majors and was never given a fair opportunity to develope.

Three thoughts:

1. I think Flaherty was rushed, yeah. But I think he's had his chances. He has been the named starter a few times and had really consistent at bats for long stretches. Never a full season, but he's never earned a full season by any means.

2. Sometimes guys have good minor league numbers because they are good minor league players; and that doesn't always translate. It is certainly true of pitchers we see all the time. It's also true of hitters. Maybe he's just a great hitter against lower tier guys.

3. I'm not as far overboard as Spen on dropping him - though I have heard and nodded to similar jokes before. I think he is a valuable utility guy mainly because he can play almost any position with more than acceptable defense and has a little pop in his bat.

Fourth because I'm unpredictable... he is patient, but too much so. He just K's a TON. Patient can be a bad thing.

Flaherty drives the run in! LOL almost.

I wouldn't be as sour on him if he was a few years younger. I just don't think he's going to get any better at this point.

Edited by Spen

Nice win.

Gausman was great! Britton too.

I'm OK with the lineup overall. After Jones and Wieters warm up I think we'll be fine. Frustrating at times, but overall fine. And if we hang around for a while, then perhaps look at a high OBP at bat.

Since we won I'm going to go ahead and think this was an important game. :)