ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Cowherds wrong

vmax

The ESPN radio host said on his show Wednesday morning that a "source he trusts a lot" told him "word has gotten around the NFL" that the way to shut down Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is to take away his first read. Flacco, Cowherd's source claimed, is too slow getting to his second read, and immediately throws a check down to Ray Rice when it isn't there.

"Everyone is killing Cam Cameron, everyone is killing John Harbaugh," Cowherd said. "Have you noticed how unhappy T.J. Houshmandzadeh is? That's because there are very few plays for the Ravens where he's the number one option, and Flacco can't get to him with his progressions. He bails to Ray Rice, and it's a lack of an ability to go to [option] two, three, four. Watch his hips. Coaches are noticing it. The word is out. I'm just telling you what I've been told by someone who is a great source for me."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2010/10/espns_colin_cowherd_the_league_has_figured_out_flacco_doesnt.html

I think Flacco can do better reading the field and going through his progressions but look at how well the ball is spread around.

Year to date:

RECEIVING

NAME................ REC TAR YDS

Anquan Boldin ........32 47 426

Derrick Mason........ 24 43 309

Todd Heap............ 21 36 259

Ray Rice............. 23 30 138

T.J. Houshmandzadeh... 9 23 128

For his first two years all he had basicaly was Mason as option #1 and Rice as #2. Heap was in blocking a lot. So maybe it's new for him to have this many options and he's on that learning curve. TJ's been here 6 games now...Bouldin's new. It takes time to learn each other and develop that 'intuitive' chemistry.

Yea Joe needs to do better and I think he will. He's not a 'Brady' or a 'Manning' and probably will never be, but he's definetely good enough for this team to win championships.

The ESPN radio host said on his show Wednesday morning that a "source he trusts a lot" told him "word has gotten around the NFL" that the way to shut down Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco is to take away his first read. Flacco, Cowherd's source claimed, is too slow getting to his second read, and immediately throws a check down to Ray Rice when it isn't there.

Sadly thats exactly how it looks to me.

Any one know who or what his 2nd, 3rd or even 4th read is?

There are things wrong with Joe, he is only in his 3rd season. But he has to start throwing the ball down the field more often. He has a hard time reading cover 2.

We don't know what his reads are, can't see someone from ESPN or any media outlet knowing. They would have to be talking to someone inside to know.

I think Flacco can do better reading the field and going through his progressions but look at how well the ball is spread around.

Year to date:

RECEIVING

For his first two years all he had basicaly was Mason as option #1 and Rice as #2. Heap was in blocking a lot. So maybe it's new for him to have this many options and he's on that learning curve. TJ's been here 6 games now...Bouldin's new. It takes time to learn each other and develop that 'intuitive' chemistry.

Yea Joe needs to do better and I think he will. He's not a 'Brady' or a 'Manning' and probably will never be, but he's definetely good enough for this team to win championships.

After 6 games last year, there were fewer targets, and he was on track to pass for + 4000 yards. An easier schedule, not really we were 3-3.

Nice distribution, and not only Mason and Rice:

Mason 381 yards

Clayton 270

Heap 262

KW 267

others mostly Rice; 465

Checking down to Rice was a low risk play that paid huge dividends for us last year. Naturally Flacco was going to keep doing it until defenses started stopping it. Now teams are making it a part of their game plan to stop Rice not just in the running game, but also in the passing game. I don't doubt that aspect of what the source is saying, but I refuse to believe that by doubling Flacco's primary target and clamping down on Rice out of the backfield, it means teams have figured Flacco out and can stop us. If that was the case, why did Flacco rack up nearly 300 yards on Belichek's D in the first three quarters of Sunday's game?

Back when we played the Steelers, they took away Boldin to start the game so Flacco threw it to Mason early. Then they took away Mason and he threw it to Boldin, then they took those guys away and he found Housh. Like Max said, Flacco isn't Manning or Brees, but he doesn't need to be those guys to get the job done.

Checking down to Rice was a low risk play that paid huge dividends for us last year. Naturally Flacco was going to keep doing it until defenses started stopping it. Now teams are making it a part of their game plan to stop Rice not just in the running game, but also in the passing game. I don't doubt that aspect of what the source is saying, but I refuse to believe that by doubling Flacco's primary target and clamping down on Rice out of the backfield, it means teams have figured Flacco out and can stop us. If that was the case, why did Flacco rack up nearly 300 yards on Belichek's D in the first three quarters of Sunday's game?

Back when we played the Steelers, they took away Boldin to start the game so Flacco threw it to Mason early. Then they took away Mason and he threw it to Boldin, then they took those guys away and he found Housh. Like Max said, Flacco isn't Manning or Brees, but he doesn't need to be those guys to get the job done.

Good play calling that kept the Pats off balance. Joe has an awesome arm, if the primary is open he will most likely hit him accurately.

If he isn't then we are in trouble. He has 4 good targets on the field, 5 if you include Ray Rice; I find it hard to believe the Pats had them covered all the 4th and the OT. Joe had time too. I find it hard to believe the Bengals had everyone covered all game too. The Bengals have really figured him out, he consistently looks awful against them.

If we are on top and Joe can afford to throw it away if the primary is covered, or dump it to Rice then we will be in good shape. If he has to look for someone open I think we'll be hurt. At least this stage in his career.

That sounds like what I myself said many times when talking about Redman and or Boller.

Year to date:

RECEIVING

Max,

Cowherd is a hypocrite. He has had the Ravens as his No 1 team for much of the season. Hes been playing us up all season as one of the elite teams. He loved Flacco, Rice, Boldin. Now that we lost last Sunday, he's all pissed cuz his credibility is gone.

Now he's got a scapegoat: Flacco and he'll be on this one for awhile.

Flacco isnt perfect, he's not the savior. He's a 3 yr QB looking to get better every game. Hes gotten better every season, has he not ? Lets let the kid grow and Cowherd needs to shut his pie hole!

If that was the case, why did Flacco rack up nearly 300 yards on Belichek's D in the first three quarters of Sunday's game?

Billicheat was on WEEI Boston Monday, we absolutely destroyed NE til the half time, Bottom line!! BB says it right here in the interview, They switched to the Cover 2..It is Flacco's kryptonite.

Interview

Crav,

In your opinion,what is it about cover 2 thta gives us/Joe fits ? Havent Cam and Harbs practiced against this before ?

They drop 2 guys deep, thats where Joe looks to go, hes not looking intermediate, its either deep or immediately to Ray Rice.

But we also are not a team that has consistently run routes over the middle. So why would you expect Flacco to be ready to do that?

Heap can go deep over the middle... but prefers to run square outs. Mason prefers to run comebacks to the sideline. And Cam loves to call 'em.

So where's Joe supposed to learn?

Guest BallTMore

Still makes me wonder why the Super Genius would allow Joe to light his team up for 3 qtrs. then suddenly decide to play cover 2, something we as fans have known Joe struggles with.

Is Belichick so good he knew he could toy with Joe knowing all along that his team would make a comeback and shut us down in the 4th?

If so, hand them the Lombardi right now.

Or maybe the spy tape on Flacco didn't arrive until the 4th. :)

Hopefully this is true. Hear me out. IF this is joe's biggest flaw (and i believe it is, personally) then i'll take it. There is large room for improvement and this sort of thing CAN and i have no doubt WILL be worked out as the season progress's.

Much like my main gripe with McClain's usage (or lack thereof) on short yardage situations. After a big stink is made about it and word gets out, the coaches are more likely to hammer it out in practice and attempt to work it into the offense more. Check down's to rice have been Joe's comfort play's. Not always a good idea obviously, but with continued protection from the line and an assertive effort to work the middle more with the tight ends and slants to big receiver's (Housh,Boldin,Heap maybe even the rook) i think this problem will eventually soften.

Also helps if you mix the run in there in dominant doses as well. :biggrin: I am taking the glass half full approach to this and think Joe will eventually get it together in this area. And if he does.... who can really stop us then?