ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

The North Will Have To Be Enough

vmax

I have one of those "the North is not Enough" shirts and I was thinking about wearing it to the game. I didn't. Maybe in the back of my mind I was thinking to not disrespect such an accomplishment. Maybe I saw storm clouds brewing.

This was definitely a heart breaking, gut wrenching loss for the Team and Ravens fans. It's harder to take because most of us had such high expectations after a season of watching the most amazing football Ravens fans and the league has ever seen. It was jaw dropping fun every Sunday and I am very grateful for that.

Yet such is the Fate for all football fans every season, because only 1 team wins it all in the end. And it ended Saturday night and now it's "Sunday morning, coming down."

We'll recover quickly and move on, yet this "looked like" a juggernaut that would go all the way......and if you are like me...well....I got burnt by high expectations.

But WOW....what a great season. 14-3. There is a ton to build upon. This team should be competitive for a long time. The future is bright, but let me add to this: "If they learn from this."

For the fans in my section, here, and all over this state and country....come on now!....let's talk and get over this together....and remember.........We had a blast. We're the Flock. We are Ravens fans. :gorave:

It was a fantastic season. I saw things that I’ve never seen before that were so entertaining and rewarding. Have to keep that in mind too along with last night’s disaster.

this team is young and they’ll be back. As soon as next season. 

the thing they have to work on is how to win under adversity. I didn’t like how they didn’t seem to have a plan to come from behind and still win. This’ll be part of the maturing process this young, precocious team will learn. Hopefully by next season.

What a great year! They’ll be back. And they’ll be better. 

But let’s not forget the sweet last 12 games of this season.

That made this season a success. Imagine what a Steelers fan would have given to have had as great a ride as we had!! 

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-playoff-losses-20200112-jn657m6lubhlngar5l2ocyvyru-story.html

Preston: Ravens playoff losses starting to damage psyche of young team

Maybe if the Ravens sign a big receiver or add some physical, intimidating linebackers, they can create a deeper trust as far as advancing in the NFL playoffs.

The postseason exposes team weaknesses, and the Ravens got exploited Saturday night in a 28-12 AFC divisional playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans.

The Ravens are a relatively young team and have the potential for a serious run at winning a Super Bowl title for years, but this team has a damaged psyche and it is starting to show.

For the second straight year, the Ravens were eliminated in the postseason after one game. There was a difference this season because they were the No. 1 seed in the conference and got an opening-round bye as opposed to losing to the Los Angeles Chargers in a wild card game last season.

But the top-seed shouldn’t be losing to the No. 6 seed after virtually a three-week layoff and playing at home.

“I think today we all struggled. It is not just [quarterback] Lamar [Jackson],” said Ravens cornerback Marlon Humphrey after the game. “I think honestly the sad reality of it is this Ravens team, we have been here two years in a row, and we have lost. So, I think you have to look at yourself in the mirror, and I think this team’s identity right now is get in the playoffs and choke. It is what it is. That is just the hard truth.”

Humphrey was emotional, maybe too emotional, but this loss hit a nerve. Maybe the Ravens can use this as a learning experience because they’ve never been a top seed.

A team can get all the acclaim and hype during the regular season but it is meaningless once the postseason starts. The Ravens got whipped in every phase of the game, which is unusual because they were always mentally prepared during the regular season.

“Very tough, very tough,” Ravens defensive tackle Michael Pierce said about the loss. “Not to say that anybody looked past this, but the way we were on a roll, no one thought it would be over this quick. A very disappointing performance by the team. When our best was needed as a collective, we didn’t have it. But that’s the nature of football. I’m sure the Patriots felt the same thing.”

“Tennessee is a well-coached team. They fought hard. They embarrassed us,” Pierce said. “Anytime a team comes into your home stadium and takes it to you and breaks your 12-game winning streak, you’ve got to tip your hat to them and find a way to somewhat move on.”

The Ravens’ loss showed what many have thought throughout the season. If Jackson doesn’t bring his A game, the Ravens will struggle.

Jackson, who hadn’t played in three weeks, completed 31 of 59 passes for 365 yards but threw two interceptions, lost a fumble and finished with a quarterback rating of 63.2. Few teams will win with a quarterback throwing that much.

The loss revealed Jackson’s biggest weakness. A lack of arm strength doesn’t allow him to complete many passes outside the numbers. He has trouble delivering the ball on short hitch routes much less on deep comebacks.

“I don’t really care about what they say,” Jackson said of being criticized for not being able to win a playoff game. “This is my second year in the league. Many people [aren’t] able to bring it to the playoffs. I’ve got a great team with me. I don’t really worry about the people say. We’re just going to keep going, like I said, [and] get ready for next year.”

Arm strength is something he needs to work on during the offseason. Offensive coordinator Greg Roman also has to learn that he doesn’t have to give up on the run so quickly, especially with this offense, which isn’t built for big comebacks.

But yet the most glaring weakness on offense is finding a legitimate, big wide receiver to complement tight ends Mark Andrews and Hayden Hurst. Because of Jackson’s inaccuracy, some receivers, like Seth Roberts, make “business decisions” and won’t attack passes. The Ravens need that big body player especially on the outside.

The Ravens need those big bodies on the inside on defense as well, especially at inside linebacker. The Ravens knew they had to slow Tennessee running back Derrick Henry and he still pounded the Ravens for 195 yards on 30 carries including one run of 66 yards.

Throughout the regular season, the Ravens could stop runs inside with tackles Brandon Williams, Pierce and Domata Peko Sr., but they didn’t have tough inside linebackers. Josh Bynes and Patrick Onwuasor were solid but didn’t have a physical presence, especially when the Ravens were in their base defense.

The Ravens might have to draft an inside linebacker with their No. 1 pick.

If that happens, they’ll probably say goodbye to Bynes. The Ravens also need to say goodbye to cornerback Brandon Carr and linebacker Chris Board, and it also might be time to say farewell to cornerback Jimmy Smith even though he seems to be a front office favorite.

It’s all part of the work the Ravens have to do in the offseason. They were a surprising team in 2019 and Jackson developed faster than anyone expected. But they need to take the next step. It was great to win 14 of 16 regular season games but history isn’t always kind to those teams.

The Ravens will be remembered as a great offensive team but also a team that couldn’t get it done. They couldn’t even win a playoff game.

At home.

I call bullshit on the Titans being a well coached team. They were 9-7 for christs sake. They play in the weakass AFC south. They didn't make the playoffs til the last game of week 17, which was our game vs the Stealers..

Our game was lost by whomever s decision it was to make Lamar throw 59 times..

Edited by cravnravn

They didn't get to Tanahill until several weeks into the season.  That is when the run started.  Look at last yr.  The Ravens were floundering until they benched Joe and then went on a run.  They have been on a playoff run for months now.  They have their edge.

Vrabel showed how well coached they are.  He outdid the master on manipulating the rule book last week.  

50 minutes ago, cravnravn said:

I call bullshit on the Titans being a well coached team. They were 9-7 for christs sake. They play in the weakass AFC south. They didn't make the playoffs til the last game of week 17, which was our game vs the Stealers..

Our game was lost by whomever s decision it was to make Lamar throw 59 times..

Sometimes teams improve as the year goes one, we know that, They played well and we did not.

Lamar can build arm strength in the weight room and if he believes that's a weakness he'll do so. Not real worried about that.

Big receiver and inside linebacker are indeed needed. Just as important is a damn good edge rusher so they don't have to blitz all the time.

They have got a huge amount of cap space to improve a position or two with free agency. They can maybe get another position in the draft but that will be tougher since they will be drafting so low due to their record.

I don't buy it that Harbs is to blame. He was completely behind the re-design of the offense. Committed to it in full. He also kept the team focused through a grueling 12 week winning streak where there were many opportunities for a loss that never happened. I don't think the team was not 'up' for the game, they just didn't know how to deal with adversity if they fell behind. The offense lost its poise a little bit when they fell behind. Roman was too quick to give up on the run I thought too but the guy is still a genius who created the team's overall strategy during the re-build. And the offense is very young at the skill positions and was handed a spanking.

Get some receivers to get open and catch. Build up Lamar's arm. Get a ferocious edge rusher. If they get all that and lose again, then I would start looking at the coach.

He was around during the redesign of the offense.  He had as much to do with it as he did with Kubes offense here.  As for keeping them focused.  Were they focused for the Jets, Cle or Pit?  The last good game they played was Buf.  From that point on it became the good ship Our Shit Don't Stink.  Getting wins but doing it sloppy and without focus.  But hey they kept winning so all is well.

I think spray tan needs to put Alfed E Harbaugh on notice.  This shit will not be tolerated.  He is no Bill and his ability can be replaced.

Poor clock management at the end  of the first half, use of fourth down analytics when the team was not executing well enough to support the decision not to punt or take the points, OC not helping the sophomore pro QB when he became unsure of what to do when comfort zone RPO's were not working and receivers were not getting separation, DC calling up a blitz after mid-field turnover with no safety protection when next play would be an "obvious" end zone attempt....too many coaching faux pas to overlook, along with poor team execution, should level very heavy criticism to coaching of our team. The "choke" term should apply more to the coaches than the players.

LOL I knew the "Harbaugh has to go" club would show up. It had to be a long frustrating season for you keeping your mouth shut because there was little to find fault with.

"Off with his head!" It's too bad that you didn't live in Paris in 1793. You would have had so many days of bliss.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmeDFk4BS5Ozr-MYbiRgo

vmax - Harbaugh performed well enough this season to be 2019 Coach of the Year. No one is above criticism and should allow for free and open opinions, not even an

honorable member here such as you, Robespierre.

I'll only say that the verhemence of the criticism against Harbs is totally unwarranted. Criticism is always welcome but some have a hatred of him that is way out of the bounds of what objective criticism is. And it's always just beneath the surface here waiting for an opportunity to make a call to fire him. 

Where were they during the 12-game victory run? Or the new offense? Or keeping a team motivated for 17 weeks. I don't think the Ravens had a morale let down on Saturday. It was a confluence of several events.

Hey Max,

Everyone is looking to lynch  Harbaugh - similar to the sentiment KC fans and other pundits must have felt when Andy Reid’s Kansas City chiefs we’re losing 24 to 0 yesterday against the Texans.  I wonder how many fans and experts said “here we go again w Reid in the playoffs” 

Today, KC looks like they are in fine shape and should be odds on to hoist the Lombardi trophy.

Either way, maybe Harbaugh didn’t have his coaches and players prepared for Saturday.  Maybe his in game decisions aren’t always on the money.  Maybe his time management is lacking.

However, look at what he accomplished this season.  Look at what the offense and defense achieved this year.   Especially with the D, where we had major retooling to do.  

This team just knocked out 14 wins, beat the best teams in the league, groomed an MVP QB and won it’s second consecutive AFCN title.

Like his mentor Reid and other coaches, Harbaugh will make mistakes, some huge, but will learn from them and grow as a coach.  Don’t we all ? 

We are damn lucky to have the owner, GM, coach and personnel  that we do.  This franchise has a huge upside and the future looks great.

We got over that bitter loss in New England (Lee Evans/Cundiff gaffes) and returned to a SB win the next year.

The team, including Harbaugh and Lamar, will learn and grow from this weekend.  Winners find a way to be a successful. 

3 hours ago, oldno82 said:

I'll only say that the verhemence of the criticism against Harbs is totally unwarranted. Criticism is always welcome but some have a hatred of him that is way out of the bounds of what objective criticism is. And it's always just beneath the surface here waiting for an opportunity to make a call to fire him. 

Where were they during the 12-game victory run? Or the new offense? Or keeping a team motivated for 17 weeks. I don't think the Ravens had a morale let down on Saturday. It was a confluence of several events.

I was saying Alfred e harbaugh was the weak link of the team for weeks.  Even in weeks I thought they would win I said that.  No Johnny come lately here.

3 hours ago, varaven45 said:

Hey Max,

Everyone is looking to lynch  Harbaugh - similar to the sentiment KC fans and other pundits must have felt when Andy Reid’s Kansas City chiefs we’re losing 24 to 0 yesterday against the Texans.  I wonder how many fans and experts said “here we go again w Reid in the playoffs” 

Today, KC looks like they are in fine shape and should be odds on to hoist the Lombardi trophy.

Either way, maybe Harbaugh didn’t have his coaches and players prepared for Saturday.  Maybe his in game decisions aren’t always on the money.  Maybe his time management is lacking.

However, look at what he accomplished this season.  Look at what the offense and defense achieved this year.   Especially with the D, where we had major retooling to do.  

This team just knocked out 14 wins, beat the best teams in the league, groomed an MVP QB and won it’s second consecutive AFCN title.

Like his mentor Reid and other coaches, Harbaugh will make mistakes, some huge, but will learn from them and grow as a coach.  Don’t we all ? 

We are damn lucky to have the owner, GM, coach and personnel  that we do.  This franchise has a huge upside and the future looks great.

We got over that bitter loss in New England (Lee Evans/Cundiff gaffes) and returned to a SB win the next year.

The team, including Harbaugh and Lamar, will learn and grow from this weekend.  Winners find a way to be a successful. 

I don't expect Andy to win it all.  It is not in his nature.  Maybe Mahones can overcome andys propensity to do the wrong thing at the wrong time.  We shall see.  Ray and co did it for Alfred.

papa's not a Ravens fan. We all know that.

I see nothing wrong with questioning Harbaugh. I'm Monday Morning QB'ing here and if I was the HC, then I would have been on the phone to Roman early in the 1st quarter telling him that Lamar is off with his throws today...that first throw to Andrews told me all that I needed to see.....and I never would have gone for it on 4th and 1 at the Baltimore 45. They were only down7-0. I think they panicked or got Zombie brains. By the 2nd quarter I'd have told him that Ingram hasn't got it today and to feed Gus....tell Lamar to share the ball with his backs.  It's only 14-6 at the half and you would have thought it was 24-6.

I kick the field goal at the Titans 18 and make it 14-9 at the half. ....put some heat on the Titans.....call Wink and cuss him out for how his D is caving in.

At halftime I would have told him to limit the passing attempts and go back to what got us here.

You get it....as a Monday Morning QB I'm a genius.

With all that said, for 587 reasons, there is nobody in the NFL that I would rather have as the Ravens HC than John Harbaugh.

Edited by vmax

5 hours ago, varaven45 said:

Hey Max,

Lots of good stuff here. I especially agree with the very last sentence. Lamar is a winner and he will find a way. I think it's important to remember he's 23 years old and in his second year and is a monumental talent. He needs some experience. He needs to learn how to pull his team back when they are 14 points down and get them back in the ballgame. 

These are things I think he's learning now. He'll be ready to go next year.  And Harbs will have his team ready too. IF not, THEN we can talk about letting the coach go.

3 hours ago, oldno82 said:

Interesting stat:

Will Brinson

@WillBrinson
Ravens had drives that ended at the:

Titans 36
Titans 31
Titans 4
Titans 18
Titans 31
Titans 15
Titans 16