ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

Building Rome

vmax

Here's some opening moves and speculation....

ESPN Predicts Ravens Sign Calais Campbell

ESPN asked its NFL reporters to make an offseason prediction about the team they cover, and ESPN's Jamsion Hensley predicted the Ravens will boost their pass rush by signing a guy who played for the Jacksonville Jaguars this season.

No, it's not former Maryland star Yannick Ngakoue; it's veteran defensive end Calais Campbell.

"Campbell, an expected salary-cap cut in Jacksonville, has totaled 31.5 sacks over the past three seasons -- seventh most in the NFL over that span (and just one fewer than Denver's Von Miller)," Hensley wrote. "Even though he's 33, Campbell has many of the traits the Ravens love: durability, versatility (can provide rush on the edge and interior) and strong leadership skills. While adding Jaguars pass-rusher Yannick Ngakoue would create a bigger splash, Campbell would represent bigger value for a defense looking to restock its front seven."...............https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/late-for-work-2-6-espn-predicts-ravens-will-sign-jags-defensive-star

The Ravens re-signed veteran offensive tackle Andre Smith to a one-year contract Thursday.

Smith was signed to Baltimore's 53-man roster on Jan. 8 after backup offensive lineman Parker Ehinger (shoulder) was placed on injured reserve. Smith was inactive for Baltimore's playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans.

An 11-year NFL veteran, the 33-year-old Smith has spent most of his career with the Cincinnati Bengals after being the sixth-overall pick in the 2009 draft. He has also played for the Minnesota Vikings (2016) and Arizona Cardinals (2017).

Smith started the first five games of last season at left tackle for the Bengals before being waived on Nov. 30. He has played 116 NFL games and has started 98, bringing experience to the offensive line.

Listed at 6-foot-4, 325 pounds, Smith was regarded as the country's top offensive lineman when he left Alabama, and physical run-blocking has always been his forte, making him a good fit for the Ravens' offense............https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/ravens-keep-veteran-tackle-andre-smith-on-one-year-deal

0aN8we.gif....Hail Eric!2171.jpg?v=1485680562

Another building block and great move....

The Ravens have signed safety Chuck Clark to a three-year contract extension, the team announced Monday morning, their first move in a key offseason for general manager Eric DeCosta.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but the extension’s reportedly worth $19 million, with $10 million guaranteed.....https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-chuck-clark-contract-extension-20200210-gr3biuenczbgbdjdg62effogai-story.html

It looks like Jefferson will be gone which will free up $7 mil in CAP.

Building blocks in place...

Clark’s extension is the latest significant investment in the Ravens’ secondary. Safety Earl Thomas and cornerback Marcus Peters, both All-Pro selections last season, are under contract through 2022, while All-Pro cornerback Marlon Humphrey’s contract has a team option for 2021. Slot cornerback Tavon Young, who’s expected to make a full recovery after season-ending neck surgery in 2019, is also signed through 2022.

Edited by vmax

I knew Marquise Brown had good hands but actually he has great hands...

Highest WR Passer Rating When Targeted:
1. A.J. Brown: 132.5
2. Tyler Lockett: 124.7
3. Marquise Brown: 123.2
4. Michael Thomas: 121.4
5. Chris Godwin: 116.7
6. Terry McLaurin: 115.9
7. Tyreek Hill: 114.8
8. Amari Cooper: 114.5
9. Calvin Ridley: 113.4
10. Cooper Kupp: 112.2

Hey...Mekari graded out right nice...

Highest graded rookie offensive linemen
1. Erik McCoy
2. Patrick Mekari
3. Elgton Jenkins

On 2/10/2020 at 5:27 PM, vmax said:

I knew Marquise Brown had good hands but actually he has great hands...

Hey...Mekari graded out right nice...

If Marquise's foot heels he could take a big step forward. Still think we need to add another receiver or two...

Brown appears to be the next phenomenal breakout player for the Ravens. Hell he almost did that this past year. When he's healthy he'll be deadly. The only thing I worry about is his slight frame. So I think Spen is right about our needing another receiver. Boykin has potential but has to demonstrate some real progress this  year to take up that responsibility. The free agent market has Amari Cooper if we're inclined to spend a lot on one player. I don't think we will what with the extensions and all. I want to see Stanley lined up long term for us. I think he's even a tad more necessary than retaining Judon. 

So it will probably be the draft for another receiver. Somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd round depending on how it all comes together.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:50 PM, oldno82 said:

Brown appears to be the next phenomenal breakout player for the Ravens. Hell he almost did that this past year. When he's healthy he'll be deadly. The only thing I worry about is his slight frame. So I think Spen is right about our needing another receiver. Boykin has potential but has to demonstrate some real progress this  year to take up that responsibility. The free agent market has Amari Cooper if we're inclined to spend a lot on one player. I don't think we will what with the extensions and all. I want to see Stanley lined up long term for us. I think he's even a tad more necessary than retaining Judon. 

So it will probably be the draft for another receiver. Somewhere in the 2nd to 3rd round depending on how it all comes together.

I would not give up on Boykin, sometimes it takes WRs a year or two to figure things out. He's got a lot of potential. 

Because of the time for a WR to develop I would look to add at least one established one via free agency or trade. Even if it's costly. 

On 2/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, tsylvester said:

Jefferson is officially gone, bout stinken time.  Brown worries me with that injury and his inability to get off press man; something he struggled with in college as well..

Addition by subtraction.

Hurst suspended for PED's...frigging moron.

Mike has his thoughts on how to build Rome...

Overall, the Ravens appear set to make a serious run at the Super Bowl next season. :gorave: They have plenty of talent on offense, but they just have to even it up a little. ...... The Ravens definitely need a pass rusher. ....

The suggestion here is to find an inside linebacker first, someone who is tough and physical enough to shed blocks and run sideline to sideline. And please, go get someone who has that nasty, ornery attitude.

If you can’t stop the run, teams won’t need to pass. The Tennessee Titans proved that in their divisional-round upset win against the Ravens...........

The Ravens also need help on both interior lines, though the weaknesses there aren’t as glaring as those at linebacker. On the defensive line, the Ravens need ends and tackles who are more versatile, not just one-dimensional.

They need players who can not only stop the run, but also pressure the quarterback. The Ravens have four defensive linemen who could be free agents this offseason, including Michael Pierce, Domata Peko Sr., Justin Ellis and Jihad Ward.

Offensively, the line had a good year, but the Ravens still need to patch some things up in the middle, especially if right guard Marshal Yanda decides to retire......https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/analysis/preston/bs-sp-preston-ravens-draft-defense-20200218-2jzltxafhreavbn6las5wsmepi-story.html

dr-strangelove-peter-sellers.jpg?w=450 "I concur."

• 3 weeks later...