ExtremeRavens: The Sanctuary

John Clayton's QB Ranks

OutsideRzAcE

He puts Joe at #10 in his "Elite" Group.

10. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens

Analysis: At some point, those who like to give me flak about Flacco's elite status will have to concede he has it all. He doesn't throw many interceptions (10 this season); he has a big-time arm; and he wins playoff games (3-2 record).

Arrow is pointing: Up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5972554

I disagree with ranking Romo (#9) higher than Flacco, but besides that, I'd say he's got Joe ranked right. The only other thing I disagree with is calling the first group "elite". I'm not sure you can call a group "elite" and then put half the leagues' starting QB's in the group.

He puts Joe at #10 in his "Elite" Group.

I disagree with ranking Romo (#9) higher than Flacco, but besides that, I'd say he's got Joe ranked right. The only other thing I disagree with is calling the first group "elite". I'm not sure you can call a group "elite" and then put half the leagues' starting QB's in the group.

Are you saying that the word "elite" should be for maybe a top 3 or 4? I think I may agree with that. I think what we as fans need to ask ourselves is "who would you rather have for the next 6 years?" Part of Joe's stock is that it is rising ( being 3 years in and going to the playoff each year). That puts him over some other proven but older players like McNabb and even Cutler. That criteria, you are right Romo should not be ahead of him!

My god that grammar was awful! It was early, give me a pass lol.

I think it's more appropriate to say that Joe is a very good QB. He is now making all the throws, and he has an outstanding rating while under pressure. However he could stand to improve his improv skills and the ability to read a defense and audible out when necessary. I think putting Joe in the very good group is more appropriate and fair. It's only his third year in the league, I prefer to give him room to grow, it's a bit early to say he is elite.

I think Joe has a great arm and if the list was just about arms he should be at or near the top of the list.

Overall I think he is a very average QB and figure Clayton made the list by just looking at his stats and not watching most of the games.

Talent wise, not personality wise - Joe is a good guy, I'd rather have every single QB on the 'elite' list than Joe.

Guest BallTMore

Joe is an elite QB if given a great pocket to work out of and time to throw. With that, he is one of the best in the league, without it, he is below average. That works out to average a rank of about 10 I'd say, so I'd agree with Clayton.

His numbers say the opposite. His QB rating when pressured is among the best in the league. When teams rush three or four is when he struggles. He doesn't know how to slide around in the pocket yet, he usually takes off to one side of the field.

The elite rank is for guys like Brady, Manning, Brees. Roethlisberger is elite in the clutch. Every one else on the list is just in the good category, at this point.

Joe is an elite QB if given a great pocket to work out of and time to throw. With that, he is one of the best in the league, without it, he is below average. That works out to average a rank of about 10 I'd say, so I'd agree with Clayton.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Putting Joe at #10 really doesn't put him in an "elite" class. That's putting him in the bottom of the top third of the NFL.

Good yes, very good, probably. Elite, I just don't think so. Elite is a word reserved for the very best! Top 3, maybe top 5 would be in the "elite" group.

Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

In that order are the only QBs I consider elite.

Very good QBs include:

Vick

Flacco

Rothlesberger

Manning

Cassel

Shaub

Ryan

The elite QBs don't have very many weaknesses, and those they do have are negligible.

The very good QBs are just that very good, but they all have weaknesses that can be exploited.

As much as I hate to say it, Ben is starting to transition into that Elite category.

I draw the line after the first 6 QB's as far as being Elite. Those guys are staying with their teams so everybody needs to accept the fact that the Ravens are dammed lucky to finally have a QB who is just a notch below and may always be a notch below.

I'm happy as shit with that.

I think Joe's a solid, good QB that can help any team get to the playoffs. He is not what/who is holding this offense back.

I do not see him as 'Elite'. He needs more comeback, game winning drives...where he takes the game over. Most importantly, he needs to put up good numbers in the playoffs...against the Elite teams. His playoff impact has been weak.

So far he doesn't lose many games for the Ravens. Next he has to be the factor who helps the Ravens beat the teams they struggle with. Those games are generally close losses. Joe can be the difference. So far that hasn't been the case....but he did find TJ in the end zone in Pittsburgh to win that game. :)

It's his 3rd year. He has more upside...especially if he gets a line and an OC who knows how to use him and his receivers.

So far he doesn't lose many games for the Ravens. Next he has to be the factor who helps the Ravens beat the teams they struggle with. Those games are generally close losses. Joe can be the difference. So far that hasn't been the case....but he did find TJ in the end zone in Pittsburgh to win that game. :)

That drive right there gives me the hope that one day Joe will make it into the "elite" category of top 3 or 4 QBs. At the moment he still takes too many halves of football off. If he can replicate what he did on that drive in Pittsburgh on a more regular basis then we will start to dominate teams offensively.

That drive right there gives me the hope that one day Joe will make it into the "elite" category of top 3 or 4 QBs. At the moment he still takes too many halves of football off. If he can replicate what he did on that drive in Pittsburgh on a more regular basis then we will start to dominate teams offensively.

How about the Atlanta game, for as inept as we played in the 1st half, that 2nd half was a great comeback to get the lead with 1 min left

How about the Atlanta game, for as inept as we played in the 1st half, that 2nd half was a great comeback to get the lead with 1 min left

That is what I mean by taking too many halves of football on. We either start hot and go into a shell at half time or start slow and then get hot in the 2nd half when we need to. Replicate that 2nd half for 4 full games starting from the 1st minute of the Chiefs game and we get ourselves a Superbowl.